Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Leyton Orient pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 19437 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 10:07:10 »

Reeds problem is the defence is so static and he isn’t able to play keep ball up with Conroy anymore. We also have nowhere near the same fluidity or aggressiveness from the full backs, so his options are more limited

Gladwin can be frustrating, but he’s the only one in the midfield who would even attempt to make something happen
Agree with this in that I think criticising Gladwin for taking the ball from a static defence (or goalie) with no one to give it to is a systemic issue rather than Ben thinking he's Beckham and can spray it around the gaff.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #331 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 10:20:56 »

My thoughts on last night.

1st half Orients midfield of Pratley, Moncur and Mizouni totally controlled the game with Gladwin and Reed off the pace and Khan was in Pratleys pocket being kicked and pushed in every challenge which seemed to upset him.

Brynn and Wakeling the stars in the first half, Harry took his goal well but couldnt escape his marker in the main and struggled, Williams was not given much of the ball and contributed little and always going backwards when he did get the ball. Williams in the 2nd half got a few good crosses in but not his best game.

Clayton struggled at the start with the speed of the game but really grew into it and looked very comfortable 2nd half, his passing is not great but his reading of the game and tackling and heading look very good, MacDonald likes to moan but he won almost every header he went for, on the ground though he doesnt have the skill to carry the ball forward and only about 20% of his long passes met their intended target, always has one mistake in his locker though, but I think he will come good when he gets fitter.

Blake-Tracey looked utterly lost 1st half, a shambles with the winger beating him constantly, but 2nd half he was one of our best players, getting forwards and creating things and also defending very well, a real game of 2 halves.

2nd half Gladwin grew into the game more as did Reed who made a few good passes like he used to but hes still a shadow of the player he was last season, Gladwin was Gladwin, some great some poor, made some lovely passes like one to Harry in the box but also fluffed as many. Khan got much better 2nd half as Pratley tired and even better when he went off and he improved a lot.

Wakeling went off the boil a bit in the 2nd as he tired from all the running and Harry started showing us much more of the Harry of old, their defence looked scared every time he got the ball, unfortunately so did Harry at times, scuffing his shots, far better though from him 2nd half.

Hutton was a passenger for most of the game until the last 10 mins, he has a (fairly) long throw but we dont seem to utilise it well but his defending is extremely poor, far better going forwards than defending, which could cost us.

Brynn barely put a foot wrong all game, he was excellent from start to finish and couldnt do anything about the goal.

Darcy showed a few passes and looks a decent ball carrying midfielder but didn't contribute too much looks like he has potential though.

Aguiar wasn't on the pitch long enough to do much but made one great interception on a break by them, winning the ball just outside out box with a lovely timed tackle, needs game time though to improve.

Shade came on and ran around a bit but looked poor in quality of his pass and positioning, fast but not contributing much so far.

Adeloye, as I have said previously I have no idea if hes a footballer yet, hes had little service and his first touch seems good but his 2nd touch he always loses it, I have literally no idea if he is any good or not.

So to sum it up, in almost every game this season (bar Harrogate) 1st half we have been really poor, slow starters but 2nd half we seem to improve a lot and at times look a half decent team but without too much of a game plan, not one to challenge but a solid mid table side.

But, its still early in the formation of a team, only 4 games in, in the league, and we have only lost once but conversely havent actually looked like we could win games.

Salford and Orient are 2 decent teams that we are the only team to have taken any points off them both so far, Carlisle could pass a bit but look a mid table side at best.

Improvement for sure but the defence is always going to make a couple of cock ups and up front we badly need a striker to lead the line so Wakeling and McKirdy can play the wide roles which they both seem suited to.

On to Rochdale at home next, a team with 4 defeats from 4 so far in the league conceding 5 goals and scoring just once, but this is Swindon and we never do things the easy way.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:06:23 »

Both managers post match interviews plus highlights

« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:14:02 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:25:32 »

Quote from: DiV

So, so, so many players would have hit that one last night

so he lacks the killer instinct?
got it

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:28:16 »

One observation on Reed was he was marked very closely last night, anytime Brynn or one of our centre backs had it Reed would run to try and make himself available but with them pressing high and someone tight on his back we often picked another option as he was under too much pressure.  Could part of his less effectiveness being that oppositions are trying to nullify Reed as they know what a big part he played in our success last season? Thought Gladwin had a decent game last night, much better energy about him this season, some great long raking passes and seems hungry with the way he is closing down/challenging the opposition.  Last night overall was encouraging for me, gradual improvements in performance game on game and the team seems to have bags of character and fight.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:36:12 »

One observation on Reed was he was marked very closely last night, anytime Brynn or one of our centre backs had it Reed would run to try and make himself available but with them pressing high and someone tight on his back we often picked another option as he was under too much pressure.  Could part of his less effectiveness being that oppositions are trying to nullify Reed as they know what a big part he played in our success last season? Thought Gladwin had a decent game last night, much better energy about him this season, some great long raking passes and seems hungry with the way he is closing down/challenging the opposition.  Last night overall was encouraging for me, gradual improvements in performance game on game and the team seems to have bags of character and fight.

Funny how differently people see it, thought Gladwin was our worst player
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:38:48 »

For me Hutton is at fault for the Orient goal no awareness that Smyth is behind him and with a little movement he drifts pass him unchallenged for a simple tap in.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #337 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:46:00 »

Me too.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:46:56 »

Hutton for me.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #339 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 11:51:12 »

Hutton for me.
Hutton 2nd for me then Tomi and Shade but they weren't on the pitch too long.

Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 12:25:13 »

Better than I thought he would be after last season but still wasteful at times. However he did put himself about a bit and produced a brilliant piece of skill to get passed an Orient player.

I would still like to see Ronan Darcy playing in front of Reed/Khan just behind whoever the striker is.

Personally thought Hutton was very poor and a clear weak link. Made me nervous whenever he was one on one.

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 12:36:21 »

Better than I thought he would be after last season but still wasteful at times. However he did put himself about a bit and produced a brilliant piece of skill to get passed an Orient player.

I would still like to see Ronan Darcy playing in front of Reed/Khan just behind whoever the striker is.

Personally thought Hutton was very poor and a clear weak link. Made me nervous whenever he was one on one.

Think my issue with Gladwin was the lack of 50/50s he won and always seems to be late/slow to pick up the second pieces. Midfield overall lacks bite, Aguiar was actually the best tackler in midfield when he came on, made 2 really good challenges.

Hutton doesn't worry me like he worries others, don't remember him getting beat that much? Blake-Tracey was skinned a lot in first half but miles better second half.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 12:45:27 »

Probably controversial but I'd like to see how we'd play with Gladwin & Williams. I think both have their merits and are very talented footballers but equally both have their downsides.

I think Williams has the ability to run the show but I've yet to see him play in a position where he can do so.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 12:47:09 »

Another one that struggles with valid positivity and needs a constant shitty picture painted?

Two sides of the same coin

But I'm not asking people to get a grip for showing any form of positivity am I? In fact I'm even sharing some of my own glimmers of positivity myself.

Very obviously not flipside to anyone reading my posts.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #344 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 12:47:44 »

I think Williams has the ability to run the show but I've yet to see him play in a position where he can do so.
I think Willo has the ability to be one of the best players in the league but he has not been utilised very well so far, I thought last season he played best alongside Iandolo down the left but he could equally be useful in the Payne role, but he seems to be stuck somewhere between the 2 positions so far.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: