Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lindsey  (Read 6583 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:17:53 »

I agree’79/‘80 was one of the most memorable seasons with all those floodlit cup games. Don’t think we best Wednesday that year though. We beat them (when they were near the top of division 1)with a Peter Coyne goal in ‘85.

You're right Wednesday was in 85 under Macari not Bobby Smith. Great memories tho!

So, give no fucks
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:22:44 »

A big problem we have these days is the lack of a properly competitive and testing reserve league. I remember seeing our reserves up against some really strong teams from Arsenal and the like in the Combination League on Tuesday afternoons (confession…I used to skive college) back in the ‘80’s. So line ups like last night, which paying fans are obviously going to resent once the almost inevitable defeat is registered, are one of the few options for ‘blooding’ inexperienced players.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:27:20 by sir windon » Logged
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:26:30 »

You're right Wednesday was in 85 under Macari not Bobby Smith. Great memories tho!
Don’t worry. We are clearly of similar vintage and my memory regularly lets me down too. I rely on this site for hours of nostalgic journeying down STFC rabbit holes!!
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:28:28 »

A big problem we have these days is the lack of a properly competitive and testing reserve league. I remember seeing our reserves up against some really strong teams from Arsenal and the like in the Combination League on Tuesday afternoons (confession…I used to skive college) back on the ‘80’s. So line ups like last night, which paying fans are obviously going to resent once the almost inevitable defeat is registered, are one of the few options for ‘blooding’ inexperienced players.

I may have seen you there especially Saturday afternoons sat in the Arkells when Town were playing away. Now we have under 23 matches up and down the country played on a lush green pitch somewhere in the countryside.

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:31:04 »

Don’t worry. We are clearly of similar vintage and my memory regularly lets me down too. I rely on this site for hours of nostalgic journeying down STFC rabbit holes!!
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/

That's a great site and often take a look back through the decades. My only disappointment is I've never managed to find footage of Billy Tuckers header away at Arsenal in the 1-1 draw and even asked on the Gunners forum but drew a blank.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:36:24 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 17:45:07 »

I say again. Bristol Rovers were shockingly shit until Christmas. Their movement in the transfer market resulted in them getting promoted.

Now, don't get me wrong, I realise that we have gone down the cheaper option and are trying to develop young players and make money for them. Not the ideal situation, but it is what it is.

I don't think anyone else would take the manager's position. I hope Lindsay succeeds, but I fear it will be a difficult season.

But, I don't see the point in panicking and changing the manager at this stage! If anyone really thinks that's an option now, they need to be introduced to reality!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:07:34 »

I say again. Bristol Rovers were shockingly shit until Christmas. Their movement in the transfer market resulted in them getting promoted.

Now, don't get me wrong, I realise that we have gone down the cheaper option and are trying to develop young players and make money for them. Not the ideal situation, but it is what it is.

I don't think anyone else would take the manager's position. I hope Lindsay succeeds, but I fear it will be a difficult season.

But, I don't see the point in panicking and changing the manager at this stage! If anyone really thinks that's an option now, they need to be introduced to reality!

All fair points. But the message, from Day 1 with Morfuni, was stay up last year, go for it this. As things stand, there is nothing to indicate we are going for it, and that’s where the current sense of worry/ disillusionment/ frustration comes from for me. Nobody thinks it’s easy to run a L2 club, but the board is saying one thing, and doing another, and it’s sad to see. And unlike Rovers, Barton had shown some previous managerial ability, whether you like him or not.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:14:17 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:16:23 »

Issue I see with a manager change is who would want to work under the set up with Sandro pulling the strings. That’s the big issue if the manager has to be changed
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:17:36 »

That's a great site and often take a look back through the decades. My only disappointment is I've never managed to find footage of Billy Tuckers header away at Arsenal in the 1-1 draw and even asked on the Gunners forum but drew a blank.
No, I’ve similarly searched to no avail. That was back in the days where cameras were not ubiquitous at football matches. And I guess few expected anything but a home win that night! A friend of mine skived work with a “cold” to go to Highbury. His lie was difficult to validate the next day….after he’d had his jaw broken by a disgruntled Arsenal fan after the game! Took some explaining as to how he’d sustained the injury whilst recuperating in bed with the sniffles!!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:25:11 »

No, I’ve similarly searched to no avail. That was back in the days where cameras were not ubiquitous at football matches. And I guess few expected anything but a home win that night! A friend of mine skived work with a “cold” to go to Highbury. His lie was difficult to validate the next day….after he’d had his jaw broken by a disgruntled Arsenal fan after the game! Took some explaining as to how he’d sustained the injury whilst recuperating in bed with the sniffles!!

Great game that and remember going back to the coaches which were parked up where the Emirates is now and counting over a 100 lined up with your number on the windscreen so you would find it easily. We had over 8000 there that night😀

So, give no fucks
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:29:24 »

Issue I see with a manager change is who would want to work under the set up with Sandro pulling the strings. That’s the big issue if the manager has to be changed

Head coaches are more and more popular rather than traditional managers, we're by no means the only club that have gone down that route, as such managers/coaches are also more and more OK with how clubs are operating these days.  The big issue is you're pondering a problem that doesn't really exist to keep your ever negative narrative going.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:31:45 »

Head coaches are more and more popular rather than traditional managers, we're by no means the only club that have gone down that route, as such managers/coaches are also more and more OK with how clubs are operating these days.  The big issue is you're pondering a problem that doesn't really exist to keep your ever negative narrative going.

Grab the snackage and alcohol folks, this could be fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: