Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Harrogate vs Swindon Town build up & matchday thread  (Read 35491 times)
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 09:14:36 »

For the goal which they scored from a corner it looked like we had about 4 men at the back post and they all got in the way of each other. I would hope that is picked up on when they watch the video of the match back.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 09:20:52 »

Last time I can remember such a disappointing opening day was the 5-0 reverse at Gillingham. We went on to have a great season. Omen? Possibly. But probably knowing our luck it’ll be an omen that we’re going to get thrashed again at Priestfield in a few weeks time!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 10:24:31 »

Gills was 2009.

Our pre-season in 2009. A little bit bigger. Also went to Austria hence the odd oppo:

12 July 2009   CFC Cluj   N                     1–1   Anthony McNamee 29'   unknown
15 July 2009   Universitatea Craiova   N   1–0   Lescinel Jean-François 17'   unknown
17 July 2009   TSV St. Johann   N            3–3   Billy Paynter 10', 70' Sean Morrison 54'   unknown
20 July 2009   Hungerford Town   A         3–0   Stephen Morrison 47', Billy Bodin 82', Scott Spencer 89'   unknown
21 July 2009   Luton Town   A                 1–0   Jonathan Douglas 58'   1,524
22 July 2009   Chippenham Town   A      0–2      unknown
25 July 2009   Cardiff City   H                 0–0      2,157
28 July 2009   West Bromwich Albion H     1–0   Gordon Greer 33'   3,482
29 July 2009   Swindon Supermarine A      3–2   J-P McGovern 25', Yan Klukowski 54', 56'   279
1 August 2009   Plymouth Argyle   H         0–2      2,064
4 August 2009   Cirencester Town   A        3–0   Yan Klukowski 20', Dean McDonald 61', Jordan Record 80'   285

Obviously a mix of youth teams and first team in there.

First 15 game

P 15, W 4 D 7 L 3

We had 5 1-1 draws in 6 games, 4 in a row.

We only lost 5 more games all season. 2 v Bristol Rovers.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 1, 2022, 10:26:33 by Batch » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 10:27:39 »

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that the biggest catalyst for that season didn’t sign till September and didn’t start a league game till November.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 10:51:25 »

Some thoughts on the game after having time to reflect:

Brynn - Solid up until the 3rd goal. Some good saves, seems ok in the air and his kicking showed promise. There was a moment where he nearly set up McKirdy but he was marginally offside. I'd start Ward in the cup but don't see a reason to drop Brynn in the league just yet. You can't commit to a #1 and swap after one game when the defence was largely to blame.

Hutton - Hard to judge. Right footer playing on the wrong side. No Iandolo or Devine to compensate. Can only count one time where he managed to get on the overlap and get a cross in. Quite shaky defensively as Barrow fans warned us. You don't mind that so much if your wing backs offer you something going the other way. The problem was, he didn't.

Shade - Slightly more involved. Just seems to me like he's playing within himself. When he gets the ball I'm shouting at him to take on his man and he's just a bit passive. When he played against us at the CG last season he was very direct and tricky. Not seen this version of him yet. Hopefully it's not being coached out of him.

Baudry - Started ok but as soon as we went behind, fell to pieces. Missed a sitter at 0-1 which would've got us back in the game. I worry about him in a 3. Was outstanding next to Conroy in the last 7-8 games last season.

Brennan - Strong start. Few crunching tackles, a few nice balls fizzed into midfield. He has something but again certain moments in the game cost him. Needs to learn when it's appropriate to play the risky balls and when not to. Like any young player.

Macdonald - I was excited with this signing as I thought he might organize us and lead by example. All I saw Saturday was poor body language all round and lots of players pointing fingers at each other. I just hope the group take to him well. Appointing a brand new player as captain is something I'm not overly sure about. You can still be a leader on the pitch without an armband.

Reed - Worst game he's ever played for us. Gave it away almost every time he had it, sometimes under no pressure. Lucky not to be hooked off actually. Hopefully his mind isn't elsewhere or we have a big problem.

Williams - This guy should be far and away the best player in league 2, but he flatters to deceive way too often. If he's not rolling around on the floor he's running into traffic instead. He shows glimpses every now and again but ffs, we have a welsh international who hasn't really done anything in over a year to suggest he belongs above this level.

Gladwin - Very good first half. Drove with the ball, few decent crosses and was tidy in possession. Shame about the penalty miss as it probably overshadowed his performance. I like what I saw and hope this is the version of Gladwin we have going forward.

Adeloye - Think he only touched the ball 3 or 4 times. He doesn't yet have any sort of understanding with McKirdy which is understandable given the short amount of time they've had to work on it. Lack of service also doesn't help. Should he be doing more to get involved? maybe.

McKirdy - Actually thought he looked bright in the first half. Went close on the turn and was making some good runs and working hard. I might be in the minority but he didn't look disinterested to me. Not any less than usual anyway. Just felt sometimes he may think he has to do it all alone as nobody else will. He will always have a bit of a sulk when it's not going his way. Nothing new there.

Khan & Wakeling - Both bright when they came on but the game was already done. So hard to tell really. Both should probably start vs Salford.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 11:37:06 »

Nicely summed up, don't disagree with any of that.

I too was disappointed with MacDonald.
He seemed to start the game with a very blasé attitude, almost like he thought "It's only Harrogate, this'll be a walk in the park".

Hopefully this game is a wake up call for the team and management and we see improvement, starting Saturday.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 11:53:42 »

That header straight up on the air for their first goal was awful and if that had been Harries or Conrony I think people would have gone in hard on them
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 12:10:44 »

Nicely summed up, don't disagree with any of that.

I too was disappointed with MacDonald.
He seemed to start the game with a very blasé attitude, almost like he thought "It's only Harrogate, this'll be a walk in the park".

Hopefully this game is a wake up call for the team and management and we see improvement, starting Saturday.

Interestingly I've just finished the 2 Loathed Strangers Podcasts and the pre-match one which had some questions to MacDonald did actually suggest that he had made some comments to that effect/had that attitude. I was initially impressed with MacDonald in the first half, he looked like a composed CB that had played at a higher level. In the second half he also seemed to take the game by the scruff of the neck, driving forward and having a shot which didn't go too far past the post.

For me, I wonder if he's going to be frustrated to be playing in a side with players who are not up to his calibre. Early days but I hope he can get his head right that you have to battle and work really hard to get something in this division.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 1, 2022, 12:28:20 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #473 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 12:17:59 »

Pretty much agree with all of that Pericardinho.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 12:22:41 »

Gills was 2009.

Our pre-season in 2009. A little bit bigger. Also went to Austria hence the odd oppo:

12 July 2009   CFC Cluj   N                     1–1   Anthony McNamee 29'   unknown
15 July 2009   Universitatea Craiova   N   1–0   Lescinel Jean-François 17'   unknown
17 July 2009   TSV St. Johann   N            3–3   Billy Paynter 10', 70' Sean Morrison 54'   unknown
20 July 2009   Hungerford Town   A         3–0   Stephen Morrison 47', Billy Bodin 82', Scott Spencer 89'   unknown
21 July 2009   Luton Town   A                 1–0   Jonathan Douglas 58'   1,524
22 July 2009   Chippenham Town   A      0–2      unknown
25 July 2009   Cardiff City   H                 0–0      2,157
28 July 2009   West Bromwich Albion H     1–0   Gordon Greer 33'   3,482
29 July 2009   Swindon Supermarine A      3–2   J-P McGovern 25', Yan Klukowski 54', 56'   279
1 August 2009   Plymouth Argyle   H         0–2      2,064
4 August 2009   Cirencester Town   A        3–0   Yan Klukowski 20', Dean McDonald 61', Jordan Record 80'   285

Obviously a mix of youth teams and first team in there.

First 15 game

P 15, W 4 D 7 L 3

We had 5 1-1 draws in 6 games, 4 in a row.

We only lost 5 more games all season. 2 v Bristol Rovers.
Blimey,what happened to Klukowski?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #475 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 12:24:13 »

Blimey,what happened to Klukowski?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Klukowski

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 14:05:17 »

Had a decent spell at FGR I see after we turned him down. Ta 4 link

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 14:13:12 »

Interestingly I've just finished the 2 Loathed Strangers Podcasts and the pre-match one which had some questions to MacDonald did actually suggest that he had made some comments to that effect/had that attitude. I was initially impressed with MacDonald in the first half, he looked like a composed CB that had played at a higher level. In the second half he also seemed to take the game by the scruff of the neck, driving forward and having a shot which didn't go too far past the post.

For me, I wonder if he's going to be frustrated to be playing in a side with players who are not up to his calibre. Early days but I hope he can get his head right that you have to battle and work really hard to get something in this division.

I have absolutely no reason to think this, but I have this weird feeling that we are heading in the same direction as the 2010/11 side with regards to there being factions in the dressing room, like when Prutton signed.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 1, 2022, 17:28:02 by Quagmire » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 14:41:07 »

I have absolutely no reason to think this, but I have this weird feeling that we are heading in the same direction as the 2010/11 side with regards to there being fractions in the dressing room, like when Prutton signed.

Yeah I hear you. Again, I also have no reason to think this but I do think the loss of Jack Payne might be bigger than just his ability on the pitch. Last season there seemed to be a real bond between the players (only going on what McKirdy was posting on socials mainly) and whilst it appears that McKirdy and Williams appear to be close, because of the squad churn it's going to take a while for that bond to re-appear. (although Simpson and Davison did seem to be able to get into that bond quick enough last season)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 14:46:16 »

I have absolutely no reason to think this, but I have this weird feeling that we are heading in the same direction as the 2010/11 side with regards to there being fractions in the dressing room, like when Prutton signed.

I was thinking the exact same the other day. was going to post but forgot.

This has incredible 10/11 vibes. A decent level of continuity, but with key player and captain both leaving and then a split amongst the dressing room.

Hope we are wrong!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: