Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: L2 Predictions Thread  (Read 12806 times)
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:35:32 »

On paper promotion looks tough. Bradford, Stockport, Salford and Mansfield have strong squads.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:39:42 »

I think it's fair to say the top end of League Two looks a higher standard this year, so it's possible that we've improved our squad but still end up around the same point in the division or a bit lower even. Hopefully we piss the thing, but the four teams mentioned above plus Crawley all look strong, and there's always a surprise package or two.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:41:34 »

I wouldn't dismiss Orient, Northampton, Tranmere and Newport who are always in the mix.

So, give no fucks
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:46:52 »

Stating people would be content with a mid-table finish based on feedback on this thread is part of the 80% bollocks, which ever way you spin it, and however blunt you are.  If you want everyone to just state it's HMS Piss the league, just put that in the title and some posters will avoid it.

If you actually read back I didn't 'state' anything. I actually asked a question and was open to feedback.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:56:22 »

Poor little Vale  Smiley

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/who-will-win-the-202223-league-one-fourfourtwos-season-preview-and-predicted-final-table
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 15:15:23 »

I think it's fair to say the top end of League Two looks a higher standard this year, so it's possible that we've improved our squad but still end up around the same point in the division or a bit lower even. Hopefully we piss the thing, but the four teams mentioned above plus Crawley all look strong, and there's always a surprise package or two.

Will have a look around and see which teams have signed which players to see how we match up numbers wise and possible percieved quality wise.

Some teams such as Doncaster, Wimbledon, Crawley and Bradford have had a huge change of personnel in the Summer, some teams have had few such as Orient, Newport and Stockport by comparison.

I think we probably sit somewhere in the middle of turnover and quantity, no idea about quality as yet.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 15:42:14 »

Anything other than top 3 is failure for me.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 17:36:52 »

Pretty much the same.

As for predicting where we are then on paper we are probably bang on mid-table. Shade, Devine, Wakeling, Harries (they were bottom half when he played), Hutton, Khan etc played in teams below us in League 2 or non-league. Brynn and Adeloye you would also say have been playing below league 2 level and then we’ve got a few untried PL2 players as well. So when combining our existing players alongside Darcy, Brennan and McDonald with those above on paper they probably cancel each other out and you get a mid-table league 2 team hence the predictions.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 19:12:09 »

Listened to Not the Top 20 Podcast predictions for League 2 which had Swindon in 16th. They thought that the new manager, new director of football and largely unproven signings (MacDonald excepted) created a lot of uncertainty. They also said the outgoings: Wollacott, Odimayo, Egbo, Conroy and Payne would be big misses which I would disagree with. I'd only really say that Payne was a key cog in last year's team out of the above departures. George Elek also said that the club would have been keen for Conroy to stay. Personally I think the opposite! Despite this I'm inclined to agree with their overall assessment. Fingers crossed that some of the new signings hit the ground running.

Agree with some of that. I think Wollacot and Egbo were both class acts at this level, both will be missed, both would be worth points that we have to find from elsewhere.

Odimayo, not sure but with the presumable back 3, that might have really suited him. I believe the jury is still out on whether it is better for the wide CBs in a 3 to be natural CBs, or Full backs. Going back few years to Conte’s title winning Chelsea side that played a back 3, they got round this by playing one each (Cahill and Azpilicueta). In that position they had more time and space than anyone to start attacks. Not sure yet if we have enough good options here, need to see a few real games to decide. I wonder if Lindsey likes the 3 as a remedy to us struggling to generate chances when teams sat back against the 433 at home last year? In any case will probably take a while to bed in.

Agree on Conroy, not good enough to match the relative wage demand. More money for another forward hopefully.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 19:16:43 by oxonrobin » Logged
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 19:35:52 »

I'd of been fine with Conroy staying.

But not for the wage he was currently on / demanding.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 21:14:58 »

To the point post. No flim flam. No Bs.

As I see it, it IS the top three or bust. Unless last seasons ‘official L2 survival” was BS. The be all and end all of this season is automatic promotion, end of. Period. Not looked back, etc, etc.

We know we are not top four PL. We are top four L2. No if’s no but’s. The hardcore 4K season ticket fans know this. The other 3-4K walk ups accept this. Anything over this don’t give a toss. They’ll come out whenever we’re doing well regardless.

From game 1/46 to game 46/46 our team HAVE to have a winning mentality.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 21:35:18 »

I'd of been fine with Conroy staying.

But not for the wage he was currently on / demanding.

How much was it?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, July 28, 2022, 15:10:13 »

League Two
League Two winners: Northampton Town
Promoted: Bradford City, Leyton Orient
Playoffs: Stockport, Mansfield (P), Tranmere, Doncaster
Who's going down?: Hartlepool, Colchester
Division Top Scorer: Hylton (Northampton)

Swindon Town
Where will Swindon finish?: 10th
Top goalscorer: McKirdy
Player of the season: Shade
Boo Boy/disappointment: Harries

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 15:51:17 »

Interesting from the LSPod Press Conference coverage (can't say I always listen, but it's a new season so thought I'd give it a go) that both Lindsey and MacDonald were very happy to say that promotion is the goal. Certainly none of the playing down expectations we saw from the club last season.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: