Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346480 times)
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #1185 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 17:42:07 »

What's the point of wasting any potential budget on the Aguiars and Roberts of the world when we are in the Football Leagues basement division?

Can't we just get promoted first before trying to be clever and finding gems.

I don't mind 'gems' in the way of a Hutton or a Khan, as they at least have a full season of League 2 / National league behind them.

But we are signing players in the 7th tier and expecting them to make the grade? we don't have an under 23 team, our loan network is largely shocking and as a result we've just wasted another year of their careers.

If we were actually giving Roberts and Aguiar a chance, I might feel differently.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #1186 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 19:29:59 »

Too many punts.   Not enough physicality, experience, pace, discipline or flair and a couple in Adoloye and Harries that just appeared odd.

A lesson in how not to build a squad and really not sure how they got it so wrong other than naivity (kid in a sweetshop).

Individually there are some decent players but the squad as a whole has just looked poor all season.

Hopefully it's a big lesson learnt and we insert a bit more pragmatism and balance into the recruitment process.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1187 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 20:48:38 »

Too many punts.   Not enough physicality, experience, pace, discipline or flair and a couple in Adoloye and Harries that just appeared odd.

Can't we just get promoted first before trying to be clever and finding gems.

I don't mind 'gems' in the way of a Hutton or a Khan, as they at least have a full season of League 2 / National league behind them.

These two comments do it for me. Take some punts for potential unearthed gems, but build a core squad first.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1188 on: Friday, March 17, 2023, 11:11:05 »

Wakeling wins L2 Goal of the Month!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1189 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 09:00:08 »

I’ve seen a few people on here and on Twitter saying that this squad is good enough to be challenging for promotion, which I’ve taken to mean is on par with last year. Is that true?? Comparing with the XI involved in the run in last year….

Goalkeeper - Bryn is better than Ward. We’re stronger here

Centre Back - not sure i see much to suggest McDonald is an improvement on what we had last year, albeit I like the look of Clayton. Will call this a draw

Full Back - Egbo was better than hutton. FBT is essentially a left footed Rob Hunt. We were better here last year

Midfield - Khan isn’t anywhere near as good as Payne. None of the carryovers look to have improved much. We were better here last year

Forwards - shade isn’t as good as McKirdy. Wakeling isn’t as effective as Davison in the middle, but he contributes more than Barry did. Adeloye doesn’t exist. We were better last year - even if jephcot performs to expectations I’ve not seen much of the wider cast to suggest an overall improvement on 21/22

Based on first impressions, not writing players off and think they can improve blah blah blah before anyone gets too annoyed.

Nigel_farage_you_all_laughed_at_me.gif

We then went and made it worse in January

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1190 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 09:26:45 »

good enough to challenge...

we've lost 2 and drawn 2 from the bottom 6 away. we've yet to play 2 away but lost to Crawley at home.

we've won 2 from the last 10.

of the remaining squad out:

Tomlinson has only played 2 or 3
FBt is a big miss
khan is a miss but it's his own fault Greece culpable
everyone else, meh.

how anyone can say this squad is good enough for a promotion challenge beats me.

even saw someone saying we should refund fans yesterday and it's a disgrace. Have they not been watching this season? We are where we deserve to be
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1191 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 10:04:13 »

how anyone can say this squad is good enough for a promotion challenge beats me.

I think because having watched most of the teams in the division this season the overall standard is crap, and we are as good/bad as a lot of them.

Nowhere near autos but probably on a level with the playoff teams.
Injuries and suspensions have hindered us a bit but can’t say we deserve any more than we have got.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #1192 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 10:12:58 »

A clear out of the deadwood is needed for sure. We have some players with flashes of skill but are clearly suffering from a lack of experience and physicality. Our midfield 3 (+ Cain when he came on) are all very slight and there is no real bite there. Khan will make a difference but an enforcer type is needed. I expect we will cash in on Hutton in the summer as he may well want to move on. We have a few other players it would be worth keeping. Will Austin and Williams want to stay? It is possible but probably unlikely.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1193 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 11:27:07 »

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/03/18/jonathan-williams-what-comes-next-for-the-swindon-town-midfielder/

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/03/18/can-you-win-anything-with-kids-who-are-league-one-and-twos-youngest-and-oldest-squads/
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 11:34:16 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #1194 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 14:20:47 »

The players don't have to sign straight away though do they. If they are OOC and have an offer from us then they can see what else is out there fairly relaxed that they have a job.

If we offer a deal they can't refuse, them that's just as crap. I'm sure there are deadlines attached to these offers too, but everyone knows that it's in no-one's interest to not wait an extra week or 2, so the deadlines are artificial.

We are swindon not Man City so we have very little power or draw in the transfer market.

Edit - bugger wrong thread no idea how that happened
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1195 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:22:46 »

Bizarrely Dylan Kadji is playing for Bristol City under 23’s this afternoon.

I know he is their player, but a bit odd no?

What if he gets injured?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1196 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:39:37 »

What if he gets injured?

Pahahaha

…if he’s managed to be here and not get injured like everyone else he’s probably immune anyway.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1197 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:42:58 »

What if he gets injured?
No it is fairly common, loans can allow a loaning team to still play the player for U23/U21 sides for the duration of the loan if agreed in advance.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #1198 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:47:56 »

Pahahaha

…if he’s managed to be here and not get injured like everyone else he’s probably immune anyway.

tans

Ignore
« Reply #1199 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 17:43:05 »

Shade called up for St Kitts and Nevis
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: