Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: All things STFC  (Read 56365 times)
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Friday, December 16, 2022, 19:32:53 »

er, quick question. Were we the first ex-premier league team relegated to the bottom tier?

Could have sworn it was Bradford, but wiki says no unless I've missed something across league rebrands
It was us when we went down in 2005-2006, although Franchise went down with us and some might say (Wimbledon fans certainly wouldn't) they are the same club as Wimbledon who of course were in the Prem.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, December 19, 2022, 19:46:30 »

Anna T talks a lot of sense.

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, December 19, 2022, 22:36:56 »

I don't think there's debate to be had that players shouldn't be receiving direct personal abuse on social media. Of course they shouldn't

But of course people are going to comment. Maybe there's a way to do it, but it's still going to happen.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 09:13:23 »

I don't think there's debate to be had that players shouldn't be receiving direct personal abuse on social media. Of course they shouldn't

But of course people are going to comment. Maybe there's a way to do it, but it's still going to happen.

Yeah, footballs a passionate sports. We all say things on emotion, some not so nice but in a lot of cases actually true.

For example, I’ve been critical of Iandolo since he came back into the team because - well, he hasn’t been good at all. If he’s read that - maybe it had effected him but ultimately he’s had to go looking for it to find my comments if that makes sense. If you’re going to go digging on the internet for comments about yourself you should be prepared for all sorts.

However, stating those opinions (whether they are right or wrong) directly on said players social media or by @ing them on Twitter is a big no from me. Wouldn’t dream of it.

I know what I’ve said comes off a bit like ‘it’s not ok to say it to their face…but…fine to talk behind their back’ which isn’t exactly the point I want to make.

Footballs a sport and a lot of people pay good money to support the club so think they are entitled to express a respectable, non abusive opinion - even if said opinion is negative.

Let’s be honest, it’s discussion about the football club / results / performance / the team that keep us coming back, unites us (either online or in person)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 09:32:41 »

Anna T talks a lot of sense.

Does Andrew Hawes have problems with his roof?

For example, I’ve been critical of Iandolo since he came back into the team because - well, he hasn’t been good at all. If he’s read that - maybe it had effected him but ultimately he’s had to go looking for it to find my comments if that makes sense. If you’re going to go digging on the internet for comments about yourself you should be prepared for all sorts.

I had a run in years ago with Nicky Campbell on Twitter where I had observed in a tweet that he wasn't coming across as being particularly empathetic on a programme he was introducing and it didn't really sit comfortably with the overall tone of the programme, I literally said no more than that and wasn't arsey about it and he had obviously been searching for his name as he sent me a really passive aggressive response.

TBH it just reinforced the opinion I had always held about him being a prick but there you go.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 09:34:48 »

I mean looking for things said about yourself on the internet is akin to eaves dropping really isn’t it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 09:44:08 »

I genuinely can't work out if the backlash was due to a player having been directly targeted (@), or whether people are objecting to general moaning under the #stfc tag (or here. or) that goes OTT.

I'd assume the former but I've not actually seen it.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 09:55:56 »

Just imagine if we’d had social media in the early 90s, Fjortoft would have been seen as a useless flop instead of having legendary status as surely he’d have been gone before Christmas and would never have scored a goal for Town
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 10:08:48 »

I thought he was seen in as a useless flop, ready to be shipped back!

then injuries, a goal and the rest is history.

Who wouldn't want the same here. That's not in question
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 10:22:48 »

I thought he was seen in as a useless flop, ready to be shipped back!

then injuries, a goal and the rest is history.

Who wouldn't want the same here. That's not in question

He was…but…unless he was in the pub after a game (where I assume pre internet post match dissection took place) I guess he wasn’t personally reading/hearing the fans thoughts…making it easier to concentrate on the football?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 10:48:08 »

Yeah, footballs a passionate sports. We all say things on emotion, some not so nice but in a lot of cases actually true.

However, stating those opinions (whether they are right or wrong) directly on said players social media or by @ing them on Twitter is a big no from me. Wouldn’t dream of it.

I know what I’ve said comes off a bit like ‘it’s not ok to say it to their face…but…fine to talk behind their back’ which isn’t exactly the point I want to make.

Footballs a sport and a lot of people pay good money to support the club so think they are entitled to express a respectable, non abusive opinion - even if said opinion is negative.

Let’s be honest, it’s discussion about the football club / results / performance / the team that keep us coming back, unites us (either online or in person)
Pretty much agree with all of that.

FWIW every Town fan without counter wants all of our players to be great and do great things on the pitch and be amazing for Swindon, but, they are L2 players, they have limitations and often lack consistancy hence them playing in L2 so errors will happen but if those errors outweigh the good things then they deserve to be criticised for it.

Some players are not good enough quality and some struggle with form but being critical is part of the game, as is praise, praise when praise is due and criticism when it is deserved.

Abuse directed at players face to face is not acceptable and never has been, but it seems that recently that so often a criticism is stated as being abuse to suit the person being criticiseds point of view. Or more often than not labelled as bullying nowadays.

It seems that there seems to be a fine line between what is considered bullying and what is considered criticism, but to say that all players are above criticism would be wrong too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 10:52:51 »

He was…but…unless he was in the pub after a game (where I assume pre internet post match dissection took place) I guess he wasn’t personally reading/hearing the fans thoughts…making it easier to concentrate on the football?

Indeed. But that made no difference as we were going to send him back. Maybe SM expedites things, maybe it doesn't.

I'm just in an argumentative mood for no real reason.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 11:30:57 »

Indeed. But that made no difference as we were going to send him back. Maybe SM expedites things, maybe it doesn't.

I'm just in an argumentative mood for no real reason.

From a football perspective we were indeed set to send him back as it wasn’t happening for him
…but that decision would have been purely a footballing decision with no outside influence.
Plus, evidently Fjortoft never lost confidence in the fact he could come good. Whether that’s purely down to his character or not - is hard to say.

Would Fjortoft in 2023 handle the situation the same as Fjortoft in 1993
Probably not - at a guess.
DMC

« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 12:18:45 »

Someone tagged him and said you are shite, that was one of many. Just no need for it.

Not sure i have seen one person say you can't moan or be critical of a performance but to go actively looking for them and being a cunt about it is a real wanker thing to do

It's the same old people anyway 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 12:25:59 »

Someone tagged him and said you are shite, that was one of many. Just no need for it.

Not sure i have seen one person say you can't moan or be critical of a performance but to go actively looking for them and being a cunt about it is a real wanker thing to do

It's the same old people anyway 
I agree with all of that but I wasn't suggesting the criticism angle applied in this instance I meant in general now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: