Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Online, Alternate Personas & Future Impacts  (Read 2433 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:34:16 »

This is kind of linked to the Sutton Red thread, regarding not really knowing who people are...

The ability to be and remain somewhat elusive or at least separate from an online persona is impressive. Reg appeared to have managed this with an A* Grade - most of us on here would and only ever knew him as Reg (even those who met him). Those elsewhere who knew him personally would and only ever knew him as Andy. A wily innings from the philosophically bearded wonder.

With the tributes pouring in for Sutton and the confusion over his identity for some it does make me think about "alternate personas", whether intentional or not - we kind of all have one by being on things like this. Mostly in the name of privacy I would imagine but what other reasons do people also have for creating secondary personas?

Some could be for sinister reasons of course, others for harmless fun but it'd be interesting know as we also factor in that we are evolving into a world where there is an ever increasing invasion of privacy - do online personas, avatars, profiles help with concealing that "invasion" but as the metaverse grows is there also the danger of our real world personas being slowly replaced by AI, VR, FR (Artificial Intelligence, Voice Recognition, Facial Recognition etc) and so on?

I ask that seriously because I know it can easily be scoffed at yet literally everything today that we do, is being mirrored into some form of online data capture. It all possibly seems rather dystopian and out of reach for several to find out or even care but are we "our species" going to eventually "live online" and are our Towns/Cities/Countries going to eventually become "ghost locations" due to everything being slowly transferred to a meta world?

Discuss.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:38:40 »

Its also a good place for cyber bullies to hide
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:44:39 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:44:08 »

*bullies

Nothing to see here
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:48:32 »

Changing a username is now classed as cyber bullying, wow.

It’s often debated why several long term posters are less active these days, probably the soft nature of the forum these days.

JQ would never have survived on here 10-15 years ago
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:51:40 »

I made no reference of myself

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:52:05 »

But JQ is on the TEF almost every hour of the day.  He loves it really.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 17:53:46 »

But JQ is on the TEF almost every hour of the day.  He loves it really.

You must be as well to know😀 Another assumption I just stay logged on so it looks like I'm always on here!

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 18:05:26 »

Quote from: Jimmy QuitMoaning
Another assumption I just stay logged on so it looks like I'm always on here!

To cover your extra curricular internet activities

Smiley
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 18:19:08 »

You must be as well to know😀 Another assumption I just stay logged on so it looks like I'm always on here!

That really isn't how it works, you have to have actively clicked on something in the last 30 minutes or so to show as online.

I know because I tried this excuse when it came out a few years ago that I'd spent more time on this forum than any? (maybe second or something?) other poster. Partially because I've never flounced out and deleted my account like a lot of the longer term posters have at some stage and partially because I had fuck all else to do in my student years. And most of those after.

(I checked again, and I am second to Reg, but by absolutely miles. He really did spend a lot of time on here: http://thetownend.com/index.php?action=stats - you don't make the top ten sadacts Jimmy!)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 18:21:38 »

I never log out so never have to log back in and no idea about the science behind it! Just saying Banana

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 18:38:22 »

That really isn't how it works, you have to have actively clicked on something in the last 30 minutes or so to show as online.

I know because I tried this excuse when it came out a few years ago that I'd spent more time on this forum than any? (maybe second or something?) other poster. Partially because I've never flounced out and deleted my account like a lot of the longer term posters have at some stage and partially because I had fuck all else to do in my student years. And most of those after.

(I checked again, and I am second to Reg, but by absolutely miles. He really did spend a lot of time on here: http://thetownend.com/index.php?action=stats - you don't make the top ten sadacts Jimmy!)

Christ I'm 5th!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 18:43:04 »

To cover your extra curricular internet activities

Smiley

Posting on OTIB  Wink
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 18:52:36 »

I'm thinking more bigger picture than cyber bullying or trolling. Which is just as alive and well as it was in every school classroom/playground in the 70s/80s/90s and so on.

Think of this scenario even if you don't sign up to or think that you yourself will be a part of the metaverse:

Over time, somewhere like the Supermarket becomes almost non-existent at the consumer fronting end. Why? More people are getting their groceries delivered online for convenience so even if you don't, eventually you could be the only person (or a small clutch of people) in the physical supermarket/store/wherever you source your food collecting your daily bread.

Add into that, the tasks we formerly would do outside of the home are now possible inside the home. Let's use the supermarket/shopping theory again:

Already you can do things like use Voice Input to create shopping lists. You can add that shopping list to your grocery store and have them automatically added to your basket.  Nothing groundbreaking but it shortens the time to do such a formerly analogue task.
Still enjoy "going" to the supermarket? With VR like Oculus, you can start to "shop" at your favourite store and even pick the items you want, all with real-time stock updates from the very store you are "in".

Basically, many people are already interacting with the metaverse in a very real way. It feels like some form of evolution step to me as to where our species heads next. Already, due to smartphone activity, the way our opposable thumbs are used has changed. Take a look at your little fingers too, you may have even developed an indent on the one that holds your phone. Compare them and see if you notice a difference.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 19:30:31 »

Quote from: 4D
Posting on OTIB  Wink

that sick bastard!
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 21:51:00 »