Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere v Swindon pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 21901 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:55:38 »

My word. Was expecting defeat but hoping for a performance.
Pains me to say that my dear old gran minus her dentures still had more teeth on display than what was offered up tonight.

Small squad & 2 or 3 key players missing coming home to roost.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 23:01:31 »

Our next few games are against 3 of the bottom 4. We really need a couple of wins from them just to stop this slide.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 23:04:24 »

Win is a must Saturday
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 23:04:45 »

Thanks NMH. I think that is the first time BG has publicly recognised there are problems and we need solutions rather than roll out the stick to the process mantra. Over to you Ben - what's the plan going to be?

Indeed and quite possible Garner might be realising that he might just be a bit out of his depth?  Hmmm

When Luke Warm was here I ended up feeling sorry for him because he was such a poor manager (very good coach) yet an owner who simply refused to either sack or reshuffle.

With Garner, he may get better over time but his time isn't the here and now. I would love to see him become a Town u23/Reserve Coach, bringing academy grads through and getting them good for the first team.

A strong owner, for the best of all parties would act now and possibly use some of the additional monies that have come in to get an actual manager in on 1.5yr deal. Both Clem & Rob should seriously be looking at this option. They've got it wrong on the Garner appointment and even Garner is starting to realise it. Time for the board to step up and especially Cockstop Clem (sorry) as he stated he's a "very ruthless guy" when it comes to recruitment. Well, time to do what good bosses do and make the difficult decisions.

Town are going nowhere but sideways-back-sideways-back with Garner as the main organiser of players. His philosophy isn't particularly bad but it can't really be applied in game as it is on the Training Field; it's meant for a better quality of personnel or a couple of divisions up. You can play "nice" football yet still have to be prepared to dig in. No leaders, no true challengers wanting to put a foot in but plenty of players wanting to mouth off - the basic discipline is terrible.

Keep him as a Dev Coach (or in the words of Reg: A cone carrier) if they must but it's embarrassing if he's still manager before March begins; it's like falling in slow motion; we can all see it bloody happening.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 23:08:20 by bamboohoomyavatar » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 23:23:39 »

Of the games I have seen this season that was easily the worst. Total lack of quality, no grip on game whatsoever and no chances. Very bad mistake for first goal. The first half (goal aside) we looked okay in possession but once the second went in we completely fell apart.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 23:51:11 »

To quote Clem, who is now into Q3 of his 1st year tenure:

“...build a sustainable Championship club; to own the County ground 50-50 with the fans; to very significantly improve and fully modernise the County Ground; to find and fully develop our own training ground; to have the best academy outside of the Premier League; to have a young first team with high-quality players that have come through the academy; to have a fan base that is growing and where as many as possible of the children in the town and surrounding communities are Swindon fans and their heroes are Swindon players."

It's all well and good stating what he intends to do (we can all do that) but that doesn't stop them from being empty promises. Noticing early stagnation in a project is imperative to ensure it doesn't fail. Recognise, rectify and reassemble.

Time to move out of the fantasy paradigm that often comes with Football Club ownership. There's more continued work to be done and built upon. It doesn't stop because the club made it to the 3rd Rnd of the FA Cup. Can't dine out on that one for long. Clem and his board have constantly pressured fans to keep putting their hands in their pockets time and time again; whilst simultaneously creating an environment (and class status amongst fans) where peoole feel guilty if they don't do so or don't defer any refunds - yet dragging their own heels in the process.

Maybe it's about time Clem made his own cash injection at this crucial stage of the season, sign some free agents and potentially a manager who can actively work and manage a mixed age group of talent. If the board are serious about Clem's quoted comment above then they will be doing everything they can to get out of this division this season.

At present it's fast starting to feel like an incredibly sly rug-pull because it appears that Clem might be more skint than he made out. If he can't afford to pay off the "EFL loan money" which subsequently has kept the club in embargo and unable to sign more preferred targets, especially when the club looks like it has a great opportunity for promotion (speculate to accumulate is not an uncommon phrase) then he's fast going to start looking like yet another complete chancer. If they start to make excuses, especially when they stated they have several million to invest and ready to go it really doesn't add up.

Why would anyone keep their head only just above water when they claim to be capable of riding the ocean wave?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 06:50:12 »

I'll probably get slated for this, but I think we are overreacting a bit here.

Tranmere play ugly and are doing well out of it. The stifled and broke play up. Caddis talked about them leaving traps that we fell into - Especially for the second goal, which, was well worked. They broke up play in our half by crowding the midfield then attacked down the right and crossed to the back post, where the forward had pulled away from his marker for a tap in (O'Brien had been drawn into the middle by the run of the CF and Hunt was chasing back from upfield).

Before the game, I thought a heavy defeat was on the cards. That's what happened.

I think that with a few minor tweaks, we can turn this around. Not to be promotion contenders perhaps, but to finish comfortably in mid table and potentially flirt with the playoffs.

What are the tweaks?

1. Mix it up a little when the keeper has the ball. Caddis talked about starting off games sowing a seed of doubt by turning the defenders - Put the ball in behind them and chase. He talked about 'earning the right' to play out from the back. The more direct approach at the start of the game stops the opposition from pressing so hard in midfield as they need to drop off to help cover the defence.

2. Return of Reed and Payne to the midfield. We need them to come back in to both an urgency and creativity. We have had none of that in the last 3-4 games at least. Payne has been a big loss.

3. East is going to need to step up to play the Lyden/Grant role to help Reed create and Payne to run free. He's done it in short spells, but hasn't been able to do it for 45 mins.

4. Conroy's head and achilles. We need both to be fixed. As PV mentioned, playing in a Ross MacLaren role just ahead of the back 3 might be appropriate at times. I hate to say it, but he looks the most self assured when playing the ball out from the back - Baudry is similar, but I think has more mistakes in him. Last night I was struck at how nervy we looked playing out from the back. Cooper has made a great start with us, but came up with a howler for their first. After that, his confidence was shot. O'Brien defended very well in open play, but looked nervous at times. His wrestling and giving away the penalty was a sign of that.

5. Williams (when fit again) needs to be an impact sub. Barry (although difficult to judge so far) is probably the same. We need to get Davison to create space for others rather than looking for space for himself - He is a downgrade on Simpson. I would have been happy with him as someone to come on for 20 mins for Simpson when the job was done or for longer on the occasions where Simpson was having a mare. We need another player 'like' Theo Robinson, Alex Revell or Emile Heskey who work hard for the team rather than set the world alight themselves.

6. Closing out games. We need to find that balance that enables you to get 'that second goal' and not invite pressure and lose as per versus Exeter. Break things up, but still offer a threat, rather than sitting back and getting overrun in midfield.

Do all of that and we're golden!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 07:01:55 »

But the embargo isn't the problem.  Our budget is above average for the league.  Of course it would be bigger if we had no restrictions but there are plenty of other debts to pay off too.

The issue is not financial, but on the field where we play a one dimensional approach that is easy to play against.   Highlighted by the fact that we only score good goals but concede mainly soft ones.  
At this stage of the season there is no point in spending loads of money to get in a few unfit free agents, what we need is a more pragmatic approach to move the percentages towards us and give the players some belief.

Not scoring many but conceding soft goals every game must be demoralising and without adapting at all, a downward spiral becomes inevitable.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 07:44:23 »

I've slept on it, and I've come to the conclusion that with the players available what did we really expect ?

With Reed and Payne coming back then that's us as a force. Payne will be rusty for a bit of course. We simply aren't strong enough and too reliant on key players being at 100% week in week out.

Season is over in my head, and any change of fortunes will be an extremely welcome shock . A big one

the only plus from yesterday was Aguilar and Parsons getting a run.
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 07:45:21 »

Last night was terrible and BG clearly not the finished article as boss. However, in the cold light of day, the lads don't help him out at times.....Cooper passing to Hemmings on 5 mins under no pressure, Davison missing a sitter at 1-0, KKH first touch vs Barrow for their second, Lyden pen vs Crawley, Akin flying in for the pen at Mansfield etc, the third goal at Mansfield,
Conroy and Reed red cards etc...

I know the manager needs to take some stick for the broad culture/playing style if things aren't going well repeatedly but not sure how he legislates for a Wales U21 international channeling his inner Taylor Curran five minutes into a tough away game.

On another note, why were the police having discussions in the away end last night? Making people sit down? I was in the Johnny King stand with a Tranmere mate so couldn't get a grip on it.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 08:05:01 »

Should have been 1-0 down in the first minute.
The away end at Tranmere is one of the best views you can have watching a game.

Midfield so physically weak for a physical battle and Tranmere never allowed us to settle.
Back line whilst can play from left to right, right to left when you have nothing in front of you its so obvious the ball is going to be won and coming back.
JML is an academy player, physically not ready and that last night won’t be a good experience, just don’t see it.
McKirdy shocking, falling over and diving at every opportunity.
So disjointed up top but the midfield as everyone keeps banging on about is poor, no leaders, no movement and not capable for a physical league two battle.
Recruitment this January we have lost an opportunity.

Tranmere keeper won’t have an easier game all season.

Need Conroy, Reed and Payne back for for confidence and quality.
However we have not addressed the biggest issue of them all, no physical presence in the middle of the park.

As if we needed anymore shite, with a small diversion on the M6 on way home.

Worst performance of the season, offered nothing all night.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 08:35:55 »

Should have been 1-0 down in the first minute.
The away end at Tranmere is one of the best views you can have watching a game.

Midfield so physically weak for a physical battle and Tranmere never allowed us to settle.
Back line whilst can play from left to right, right to left when you have nothing in front of you its so obvious the ball is going to be won and coming back.
JML is an academy player, physically not ready and that last night won’t be a good experience, just don’t see it.
McKirdy shocking, falling over and diving at every opportunity.
So disjointed up top but the midfield as everyone keeps banging on about is poor, no leaders, no movement and not capable for a physical league two battle.
Recruitment this January we have lost an opportunity.

Tranmere keeper won’t have an easier game all season.

Need Conroy, Reed and Payne back for for confidence and quality.
However we have not addressed the biggest issue of them all, no physical presence in the middle of the park.

As if we needed anymore shite, with a small diversion on the M6 on way home.

Worst performance of the season, offered nothing all night.

Agree with every single word apart from Conroy. I notice he is coincidentally injured again
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 08:40:48 »

My view on where we are… January shafted us. We had a great opportunity for an unexpected chance at promotion come the turn of the new year. We then lost our most attacking outlet (KKH) and our 2nd top goalscorer, as well as our best player (Payne) being injured. People say we’re now underperforming but who in the current squad is actually L1 standard? I’d say probably JJ and Payne. People could argue Williams but I haven’t actually been massively impressed with him, blows quite hot and cold. We have a back 5 who’ve hardly played a professional game between them and haven’t got a recognised experienced striker, for me that’s a squad that’s not good enough to get promoted. I wouldn’t mind for the rest of the season giving minutes to Aguir, Dabre and Parsons as for me the squad is now miles off top 3 and not good enough for top 7.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 08:43:53 »

Agree with every single word apart from Conroy. I notice he is coincidentally injured again

Hopefully short term.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 08:44:06 »

Another gutless, gormless and absolutely spineless performance from us again.

we pulled plug on going last week but jheeze, to the couple hundred that went, fair fucking play, should get your money back.

Pointless talking about the game, its always the same things aint it? Simpson is a big, big loss. Davison had that one chance and its criminal he missed it, nobody should be missing from that close in unmarked. What else did he offer? Never seen McKirdy so quiet and out of the picture. Midfield just pathetic, full of nice ticci tacca passing players... Like Caddis said 'need someone who's not as crafty, to win ball and demand more', I know someone but he now plays for Scunthorpe. I don't care If he's not here anymore - BG picked east > AG all season, then when AG leaves, he uses left back Iandolo over East, the latter being our single fit defensive midfielder...?

Mitchell Lawson a rabbit in headlights. Hunt as captain is embarrassing, nearly as bad as letting Curran have the armband in pre season games gone by. Louie Barry? 3 games in and he's on the bench... why are January signings on the bench. For what its worth the two Times I've seen him he looks really lightweight but this is a recruitment fuck up- nothing else.

The more you look at it, and I know a couple have mentioned already, this isn't a Conroy issue, or now a Cooper issue, its 'garner ball' that's absolutely killing these players. Conroys taken shit all season (been harsh on him myself) but look what he's being asked to do, its ridiculous. Yeah, he's not been in great form and has been rather poor (passing aside) at times and I still stand by I don't think he's the right captain, but he's been made a proper scapegoat to all garners failings. When we take a loss, which player is first to get the blame? Conroy, AK and Iandolo (barring his 4 game run of attacking brilliance) all had better seasons and looked better in a shocking league 1 side last season.... this shouldn't be a thing. Cooper and Tomlinson come with championship game time this season, both very highly rated by parent club and their fanbases, both have looked quality in parts, but in back to back games both have been caught out on ball with this kamikaze style of play leading to goals. This squad of players at the start of season should of been competing in the top 3 with ease for me, littered with league 1 quality.

I'd understand If we started slow and picked up, wouldn't have an issue. But we didn't, we are tailing off, fading fast and being sussed out by other teams with absolute ease. Teams aren't sticking on masterclasses against us, its all very easy for them. We now look like an academy team who cannot handle the men in the basement of football.

Firmly in the garner out camp.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: