Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Bristol Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20830 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #330 on: Sunday, January 23, 2022, 14:45:12 »

Nope, i followed her after I saw her reply to batch Cheesy
Ah Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, January 23, 2022, 14:47:32 »

Yesterday was the perfect game to show why Rugby has the sin bin.  I'm not knocking Rovers to be honest, they played just within the rules to ensure they ruffled us but didn't lose a player.  And I don't really blame the ref, they did a good job of fouling in a way to avoid yellows, or when it was a yellow they passed them around so nobody got sent off.  If it was a game of Rugby you can well imagine the Ref speaking to the captain and letting him know the entire team is on a warning.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, January 23, 2022, 15:49:03 »

Yesterday was the perfect game to show why Rugby has the sin bin.  I'm not knocking Rovers to be honest, they played just within the rules to ensure they ruffled us but didn't lose a player.  And I don't really blame the ref, they did a good job of fouling in a way to avoid yellows, or when it was a yellow they passed them around so nobody got sent off.  If it was a game of Rugby you can well imagine the Ref speaking to the captain and letting him know the entire team is on a warning.

They are a team in the image of their manager, a niggly, spiteful nasty bunch of cunts.
But we can’t complain about the result
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 09:19:16 »

Haven't read back.

All very 'meh' on Saturday really. Both sides setup to press high and as at Mansfield, it disrupted the way we wanted to play. That said, I think we tried to get it longer up the pitch with purpose, get McKirdy running into the channels etc, it just never really looked that great. We played quite well first half and Simpson scored a brilliant goal, what a way to sign off his STFC career. (hoping he might be back, but think it unlikely given he's a 19 year old scoring 11 goals by January, he'll have suitors)

Second half was very bitty. Rovers stopped us playing and I thought their midfield 3 of Finley, Evans and Coutts played quite well. If they had had anyone even remotely decent up front instead of Alisha's Attic they might have been going home with all 3 points. I'm no keeper but can't help feeling Jojo might not have conceded that goal on Saturday. Obviously it's a decent ball flighted in with runners making it harder, but Ward's feet were cemented. I think Jojo might have dealt with it better and will be back in on Saturday.

Relatively happy to take a point at home in a frenetic derby game but Rovers were definitely there for the taking had we been able to up the performance. It was also great to see a large crowd which is needed for the coffers.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 10:14:24 »

I'm no keeper but can't help feeling Jojo might not have conceded that goal on Saturday. Obviously it's a decent ball flighted in with runners making it harder, but Ward's feet were cemented. I think Jojo might have dealt with it better and will be back in on Saturday.

Counter argument, why are the three defenders watching it come in and then bounce not doing anything apart from watching the world go by.

Not saying that ward could not have done better, but time and time again he seems to be getting the blame when those in front of him are equally capable.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 10:34:34 »

Counter argument, why are the three defenders watching it come in and then bounce not doing anything apart from watching the world go by.

Not saying that ward could not have done better, but time and time again he seems to be getting the blame when those in front of him are equally capable.

That's a very good point. I guess it's always easier to blame the keeper and I may have done him a disservice here. Having never played the game I don't really know whether the keeper, or the defender(s) should be doing better, or both/all of them should have done their job better?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 11:00:32 »

Not the first time we’ve seen an innocuous ball knocked into and across the penalty area that no-one gets a touch on when you’d expect an attacker or defender too, then watch in amazement when the keeper is rooted to the spot watching in slow motion as the ball goes past into the net. Similarly scoring from a corner when no-one again gets onto the cross but the ball again ends up in the net, it happens.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 11:13:42 »

Havent read back.

Late getting in as didnt want to queue from the Club shop for the TE.

BUT...got to my seat and we scored a minute later!

After that we sort of fell apart. I know we had played quite well up to that from the info from those around me.

No midfield per say and arc long ball to Simpson was predictable.

Gas were physical (the cards reflect that)and as usual we shrank back from that tactic.

The equaliser seemed to be coming...did it go straight in?

Ref was usual crap and it seemed that Town Gas, Town and himself agreed to blow up early..couple of minutes on my timer thingy.

Point a piece about just and 4 off Gas this season is an ok return in my book.

Anyway, with Simpson going back, we are now very thin with forward options....i hope this unexpected season doesnt now disintergrate.

Clems Army!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 11:15:35 »

Looking back, jesus we were light on the bench on Saturday!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 11:16:01 »

Not much to say on the game, though I thought Rovers came to do a job and did it - they were like a swarm and never really lets us dictate the play, sensible on their part.

And I'm not here to moan about 'plastics' inflating the crowd - great, get em in, all for it. But I would like it if they would go to their actual assigned seat, rather than cramming in and doubling up in rows, smoking/vaping. Or spending 90 mins stood on the stairs in the Town End. Years ago the stewards used to be shit hot on this, but clearly didn't give a shit.

I found it fairly irritating (especially as Mr Orange Jacket spent the second half moaning about the lack of a bar in the TE) but bet it was more of a pain in the arse for the little kids behind me.

fans on the bog steps annoyed me too.

Clems Army!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 11:45:39 »

Culpable too.

The problem on Saturday, as Purkiss pointed out at the time and Garner said afterwards, is that they ball-watched rather than pushing out as a unit, which would have left Ward with only one option to worry about. This in turn comes back to poor comms between them, and the leadership deficit which it should really fall to Conroy to provide. We've needed an organiser back there for the last two years.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #341 on: Monday, January 24, 2022, 16:22:03 »

Was a shite goal to concede. No one in the defence took responsibility and we got punished.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: