Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield Town vs Swindon Town match day thread  (Read 22784 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 09:57:27 »

Think Caddis has nailed it on these 2 points. Vale are going to be the same as Mansfield and we are going to have a battle on our hands. Think going a bit more direct to Simpson and McKirdy might be the way forward. We certainly have the players that can play decent balls up to Simpson. Hopefully he can hold the ball up better than last night.

Agree somewhat, however until we get somebody in to help Simpson out, he is alrways going to have the odd game where he is ineffective and, well just knackered.  You can change the method of delivering to the front men all you like, but sometimes you just need something/someone fresher and different to that one man that you have asked to play most minutes this season.  Every team we play know exactly how we are going to play, and what personel will be used and when..  even we know that there will be a sub involving Williams and Gladwin somewhere between 60-70 mins.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 09:57:40 »

Think Caddis has nailed it on these 2 points. Vale are going to be the same as Mansfield and we are going to have a battle on our hands. Think going a bit more direct to Simpson and McKirdy might be the way forward. We certainly have the players that can play decent balls up to Simpson. Hopefully he can hold the ball up better than last night.

His touch is abysmal, no way he can hold it up
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:07:42 »

Grant should be available and playing.
Garner and Chorley have got this wrong. Crying out for some experience.
Couldn't agree more Dukey👍
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:08:57 »

Yep.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:11:06 »

His touch is abysmal, no way he can hold it up

I don't completely agree. He has games where the ball tends to bounce of him and his touch is very bad, granted. But against Northampton his touch was very good - see our first goal and his goal. I think his touch had got better as the season has progressed and once he gets the ball down he has the ability to hold off defenders and bring others into play. Last night I thought the Mansfield defence marshalled him well and he struggled.

His heading definitely requires an abundance of work however!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:12:43 »

Agree somewhat, however until we get somebody in to help Simpson out, he is alrways going to have the odd game where he is ineffective and, well just knackered.  You can change the method of delivering to the front men all you like, but sometimes you just need something/someone fresher and different to that one man that you have asked to play most minutes this season.  Every team we play know exactly how we are going to play, and what personel will be used and when..  even we know that there will be a sub involving Williams and Gladwin somewhere between 60-70 mins.

Yeah agree also. The lack of any plan B does now make us fairly predictable and therefore easier to play against. I guess the only option we currently have is JML to play the channels as an out ball.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Crackity Jones

« Reply #351 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:15:52 »

I would agree that holding the ball up isn't Simpson's game. He can't head the ball and he isn't a back to goal player. His touch is far from abysmal though. We just don't have the players to go more direct at the moment. We do need cover for Simpson this window.

It is the defence that concerns me the most. We look likely to concede at any moment. I was an advocate of Conroy coming back in for the City game if he had trained well in the lead up.  But he has been on a poor run of form of late; so is it time for a change there? A back three of AK, O Brien and Crichlow would be very inexperienced. Shame Grant is frozen out.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:16:45 »

Seen lots of negative comments around Garner’s substitutions and the predictable nature of them. I assume they use data to know when Williams and Gladwin are at their threshold and need taking off. Our management for players who are regularly injured has been good, we’ve got a lot of minutes out of those two compared to other clubs have managed.

Subbing Lyden who was one of our better players off did seem strange, but he’s played a lot of minutes out of the cold and it protects him for the next few weeks. Plus I thought JML influenced the game, and the switch from 5-3-2 to 5-2-1-2 created a couple of chances, most notably the one McKirdy blazed over
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #353 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:18:59 »

I don't completely agree. He has games where the ball tends to bounce of him and his touch is very bad, granted. But against Northampton his touch was very good - see our first goal and his goal. I think his touch had got better as the season has progressed and once he gets the ball down he has the ability to hold off defenders and bring others into play. Last night I thought the Mansfield defence marshalled him well and he struggled.

His heading definitely requires an abundance of work however!
I agree, Simpsons performances are in line with the teams. Last night he had balls flying to him at 90mph on that shit pitch the whole teams passing was off and nowhere near good enough, don't get me wrong he was still poor but his touch isn't always awful it is just what a 19 yr old on loan in league 2s touch is likely to be. Calls for Grant are a tough one as i don't see whos place he takes
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:34:37 »

I agree, Simpsons performances are in line with the teams. Last night he had balls flying to him at 90mph on that shit pitch the whole teams passing was off and nowhere near good enough, don't get me wrong he was still poor but his touch isn't always awful it is just what a 19 yr old on loan in league 2s touch is likely to be. Calls for Grant are a tough one as i don't see whos place he takes

Could argue he could have come in, in place of KKH to slot in at CB with Hunt going to RWB.

Not that I’d play him anyway. As much as a match fit, sharp Grant could add to our team - I think he’s gone waaaaay too long with playing proper football to be able to slot straight into our XI
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:43:41 »

I'm sure someone posted way back at the start of the season that Garner-ball wouldn't work so well on slow, heavy winter League Two pitches. Whoever it was is right.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:55:00 »

Conroy is a good player but hasn’t been playing at his best recently.

This and like so many have dropped off their game.
Reliance on loans will always be a high risk strategy, in our case having a significant number in our starting 11.
I look at our bench for game changers and think we don’t have them.

Taking a step back are we expecting too much this season with where we came from in August?
Probably, however we have proved that this team can compete.
Need to roll the sleeves up and become more imposing, that’s my comment around Grant, he has that experience.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 11:03:47 »

No leadership or organisation at the back.

This rather neutralises the argument made by many that Conroy must play come what may.

Not seen a huge amount this year so based upon admittedly two games but at both Barrow and against Man City Conroy did neither of these. It all very well being a 'ball playing CB', but if that ball playing consists of giving the ball to players who are already marked or rapidly being closed down it achieves fuck all bar ensuring that the ball is coming back at you swiftly.

At Barrow the number of times he played short passes to the full backs who were immediately under pressure and then either lost it of gave it back to him in the same place he started was ridiculous, add to that the fact that no one in the back line seemed to talk to each other as whenever a player was closed down and lost the ball from behind they never seemed to get a call or warning!

As for the second goal against City less said the better.

Not entirely Conroys fault, when you have little movement in front of you and midfield with the penetrative threat of a flaccid cock its always doing to be difficult but have the sense to play to the game not what you think you are capable of, we've had this problem even since PdC times where we seem to think that if we have a CB who can string two passes together without hitting row z he is bloody Hoddle, he ain't, you get a CB good on the ball at this level they don't tend to stay at this level.  

Is Garner to blame, to a degree yes, but equally be intelligent enough as a player to not do stupid things and think for yourself.

As for Grant being the solution to everything who knows, he will be at best rusty and from recollection his last few games for us were not exactly setting the world on fire. Also reading about his history one constant he seems to have is falling out with manager at pretty much every club he has represented so perhaps its not all down to Garner/Chorley/
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 11:09:58 by horlock07 » Logged
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 11:06:11 »

Would like to see us go to a 4-3-1-2

Hunt - Conroy (if he stops trying to play like Baresi) - Crichlow/Palace lad - Iandolo (need a better left back)

Reed - Lyden - Grant (ok fat chance but should be playing now)

Williams (Gladwin as sub)

Simpson-McKirdy
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 11:07:36 »

This and like so many have dropped off their game.
Reliance on loans will always be a high risk strategy, in our case having a significant number in our starting 11.
I look at our bench for game changers and think we don’t have them.

Taking a step back are we expecting too much this season with where we came from in August?
Probably, however we have proved that this team can compete.
Need to roll the sleeves up and become more imposing, that’s my comment around Grant, he has that experience.

The experience comment got me thinking and looking at the line-up and the subs last night if you take out Anthony Grant, our most senior player (if I have got this right) is Jonny Williams who is 28?. For some reason I thought Rob Hunt was in his thirties, but he is only 26. This is very much a young, inexperienced side and looks like it in some games.

I was impressed with O'Toole last night for Mansfield, I thought he was their man of the match. He is 33.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: