Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Following STFC away day stories  (Read 8977 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 10:23:08 »

Brilliant weekend,  superb atmosphere Friday night, ruined only by the news that a Swindon fan had been stabbed that night.
Kept a lower profile Saturday night which took edge off it a bit.  Remember many Town fans outside the away end looking for tickets.  Was able to see over the fence (Similar to the Stratton Bank),  and they didn’t get in at all - long way to go to stand outside a ground !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 19:15:15 »

Anglo-Italian Cup Final in Naples, 1971-

I was an apprentice at Pressed Steel at that time and called in sick on the day of the Final ;-) There was a supporters' and officials' plane to Naples and about a hundred of us got on a couple of Rimes coaches in the CG car park and set off to the airport (Gatwick I think). The plane was a BEA Comet and the Swindon Town Marching Girls were on board wearing their red jackets and fairly short white skirts. On arrival, coaches picked us up and took us on a short tour around Naples then on to the stadium for the late afternoon kick-off.

The Swindon Town Girls did a bit of marching and formed a guard of honour for the teams as they came out.

It was a big game for Napoli as well, with around 50,000 in the ground, almost all not under cover. We were sat quite high up on concrete terracing in one corner (if oval stadia have corners), I think there were thin cushions too.

As most on this Forum will know, we were deservedly winning 3-0 when fans on the other side of the ground  started breaking up concrete and some wooden benches and throwing debris on the pitch. The ref stopped the game and eventually police and officials did their best to shield the players as they ran the gauntlet to get to safety, one or two of them being hit by missiles but nothing serious. There was no trouble on our side of the stadium.     There were rumours later of political agitators being involved.

It soon became obvious the game would have to be abandoned and we were awarded the win and the cup was presented on the pitch.  Us Swindon fans made our way out and on to the waiting coaches. Between the coaches and the stadium was a large open space where rioters were being chased backwards and and forward by mounted riot police, but we couldn't leave because the Swindon Town Girls were still in the stadium. After a while the rioting stopped, the rioters parted like the Biblical Red Sea and the Girls came marching two by two across the plaza to the coaches. (Quite brave really). Then the rioting carried on as before!  Various Napoli fans were milling around us and some came on the coaches, but without exception they were friendly and shaking hands with us.  (Very similar to the Sunderland fans after our first Wembley play-off win)

The coaches whisked us away to an open air restaurant. I remember my steak being a bit bloody but being British just ate it and didn't complain. When in Rome... ;-) After that we were taken to the players' hotel and several of us drank champagne? out of the cup. Gigi Peronace (the Italian agent who organised the competion) signed my programme.  Then back to the airport and home to Swindon in the early morning :-)  

An eventful away day :-)

My Pressed Steel foreman Jack Viner didn't speak to me for weeks. He was a good bloke and a very keen Town fan but was unhappy at me taking the day off and lying about being sick.

ps among other memorabilia, my programme was unfortunately stolen from my sister's loft by some cowboy roof lagging installers. In the unlikely event anyone comes across a programme including Gigi Peronacie's signature I'd be happy to pay a reward for it.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 19:32:36 by Munichred » Logged
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 20:31:03 »

I was an apprentice at Pressed Steel at that time and called in sick on the day of the Final ;-) There was a supporters' and officials' plane to Naples and about a hundred of us got on a couple of Rimes coaches in the CG car park and set off to the airport (Gatwick I think). The plane was a BEA Comet and the Swindon Town Marching Girls were on board wearing their red jackets and fairly short white skirts. On arrival, coaches picked us up and took us on a short tour around Naples then on to the stadium for the late afternoon kick-off.

The Swindon Town Girls did a bit of marching and formed a guard of honour for the teams as they came out.

It was a big game for Napoli as well, with around 50,000 in the ground, almost all not under cover. We were sat quite high up on concrete terracing in one corner (if oval stadia have corners), I think there were thin cushions too.

As most on this Forum will know, we were deservedly winning 3-0 when fans on the other side of the ground  started breaking up concrete and some wooden benches and throwing debris on the pitch. The ref stopped the game and eventually police and officials did their best to shield the players as they ran the gauntlet to get to safety, one or two of them being hit by missiles but nothing serious. There was no trouble on our side of the stadium.     There were rumours later of political agitators being involved.

It soon became obvious the game would have to be abandoned and we were awarded the win and the cup was presented on the pitch.  Us Swindon fans made our way out and on to the waiting coaches. Between the coaches and the stadium was a large open space where rioters were being chased backwards and and forward by mounted riot police, but we couldn't leave because the Swindon Town Girls were still in the stadium. After a while the rioting stopped, the rioters parted like the Biblical Red Sea and the Girls came marching two by two across the plaza to the coaches. (Quite brave really). Then the rioting carried on as before!  Various Napoli fans were milling around us and some came on the coaches, but without exception they were friendly and shaking hands with us.  (Very similar to the Sunderland fans after our first Wembley play-off win)

The coaches whisked us away to an open air restaurant. I remember my steak being a bit bloody but being British just ate it and didn't complain. When in Rome... ;-) After that we were taken to the players' hotel and several of us drank champagne? out of the cup. Gigi Peronace (the Italian agent who organised the competion) signed my programme.  Then back to the airport and home to Swindon in the early morning :-) 

My Pressed Steel foreman Jack Viner didn't speak to me for weeks. He was a good bloke and a very keen Town fan but was unhappy at me taking the day off and lying about being sick.

ps among other memorabilia, my programme was unfortunately stolen from my sister's loft by some cowboy roof lagging installers. In the unlikely event anyone comes across a programme including Gigi Peronacie's signature I'd be happy to pay a reward for it.

We have a winner 👍🙌
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 11:25:21 »

As most on this Forum will know, we were deservedly winning 3-0 when fans on the other side of the ground  started breaking up concrete and some wooden benches and throwing debris on the pitch. The ref stopped the game and eventually police and officials did their best to shield the players as they ran the gauntlet to get to safety, one or two of them being hit by missiles but nothing serious. There was no trouble on our side of the stadium.     There were rumours later of political agitators being involved.

It soon became obvious the game would have to be abandoned and we were awarded the win and the cup was presented on the pitch.  Us Swindon fans made our way out and on to the waiting coaches. Between the coaches and the stadium was a large open space where rioters were being chased backwards and and forward by mounted riot police, but we couldn't leave because the Swindon Town Girls were still in the stadium. After a while the rioting stopped, the rioters parted like the Biblical Red Sea and the Girls came marching two by two across the plaza to the coaches. (Quite brave really). Then the rioting carried on as before!  Various Napoli fans were milling around us and some came on the coaches, but without exception they were friendly and shaking hands with us.  (Very similar to the Sunderland fans after our first Wembley play-off win)

The coaches whisked us away to an open air restaurant. I remember my steak being a bit bloody but being British just ate it and didn't complain. When in Rome... ;-) After that we were taken to the players' hotel and several of us drank champagne? out of the cup. Gigi Peronace (the Italian agent who organised the competion) signed my programme.  Then back to the airport and home to Swindon in the early morning :-) 

Difficult to top this. Surprised we had 100 there. Also, always believed Napoli rioted because of the result but seeing as Swindon fans were completely ignored, had to have been something else behind it.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, January 6, 2022, 19:29:24 »

Difficult to top this. Surprised we had 100 there. Also, always believed Napoli rioted because of the result but seeing as Swindon fans were completely ignored, had to have been something else behind it.

AFAIR, none of us Swindon fans were waving banners or flags, which might have attracted some unwanted attention from their Ultras, if there were such groups then. There was no banter back and forth "Who are ya?" etc  Apart from STFC officials and the Marching Girls, I think those on the plane were mostly business people, local Journos (Clive King) etc who could afford to take a day off midweek at fairly short notice. EG I was sat next to an auctioneer from Cirencester. I'm sure we all cheered when we scored but there was no animosity from the locals around us.

Apart from the rioting ;-) and the great Town performance, some fans would have found the atmosphere a bit tame ;-)

I'm pretty sure well known STFC historian was on the plane. It would be interesting to read his memories of that day.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, January 7, 2022, 10:12:52 »

Brilliant story.  Loved reading that.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, January 7, 2022, 10:41:06 »

Great story.

Wish there was an opportunity for us to go to Europe again. I would be there for sure.

Clems Army!
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 13:21:16 »

PS The well-known STFC historian on the plane was Dick Mattick.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 14:13:09 »

thanks for sharing Munich
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 15:21:34 »

thanks for sharing Munich

You're welcome, I'm glad to pass on some of the details before going into my dotage ;-)   I posted the story on a different thread a few years ago and was honoured to get praise from Reg himself :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: