Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hamilton v Verstappen  (Read 6344 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 09:21:00 »

Didn't watch it (stopped watching F1 when it appeared to reach the stage that they were no longer allowed to race wet races), but having watched the two controversies later yesterday had all the characteristics of, in footballing parlance, a referee fucking up one decision early and then trying to level things up by giving a soft one later. What would have been funnier would have been to let it lie at the end with the lapped cars in, RB then lodge a protest over the shenanigans on the first lap and they give Hamilton a retro time penalty to leave him second anyway.

What has been funnier is watching all the nationalistic racists on twitter who normally hate on Hamilton for being black now getting their knickers in a contrary twist as they feel johnny foreigner has got one over on the plucky Brit!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 09:41:59 »

I watched yesterday for the first time in years. I'm not really an F1 fan so didn't have a favourite. As a neutral the end of the race was a complete farce, based on 53 laps of actual racing Hamilton should've won that race and the championship. The outcome was effectively decided by the stewards and race director, that's not sport.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 09:47:11 »

That's why I have zero interest in F1, all the excitement is off the track   Cheesy
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 10:00:26 »

It completely threw me when I found out that not only can the teams call up the race director in the middle of the race, the audio is played out on the TV coverage.

Seems to me like F1 wants to be more of a docu-drama than a race series.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 10:01:22 »

Just started viewing for the last few laps.  I saw this naively as UK v Germany (ok, Belgium/Holland) and was pleased to note Hamilton cruising to an apparently comfortable win.  

In football parlance it seemed like 4-0 up with 5 minutes to go when the referee suddenly announces "next goal wins".  As I think Bamboo suggested, it was also disrespectful to the backmarkers who were ordered to pass the safety car.  This is obviously but one example of unnecessarily meddlesome intervention.

But I've stopped watching GP racing for ages now.  Although I can be one-eyed and even a tad cun-tish when it comes to the slavetraders or the Pox, I must say I find the level of vitriol selectively dished out to Verstappen or Hamilton bizarre.  

They - and actually the rest of the drivers for that matter - are very highly skilled battling for places in an ultra competitive contests.  Whilst fans' passions will boil over in the heat of battle or aftermath of defeat, I just don't get the one-sided expressions close to hatred shown towards the opponent of one's "favourite" - in individual sport.

I guess it's t'internet and indeed my advancing years.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 10:08:40 »

Just started viewing for the last few laps.  I saw this naively as UK v Germany (ok, Belgium/Holland) and was pleased to note Hamilton cruising to an apparently comfortable win. 

More UK v. Netherlands or in team terms Germany v. Austria.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 11:11:53 »

My feeling is that Masi is out of his depth. When Whiting was race Director, teams would accept his ruling (or so it appeared). Masi appears to be easily influenced by the team shouting loudest; be it Merc or RB. Additionally, I get the feeling he is trying to direct the race to make it more exciting rather than direct according to the rule book (Bamboo summed it up well).  He seems to forget there are 18 other protagonists in the race and has focussed solely on Max v Lewis.  The mud slinging between Horner (in particular) and Wolff has also been unsavoury. 

Ultimately I couldn't give a shit who is world champion, but it should be won on the track, according to rules laid down by the FIA and enforced by a competent race director. This year, sadly that hasn't been the case and the great driving of Max and Lewis has been overshadowed.

Spot on

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 12:57:41 »

i want to enjoy watching F1 but that finale kind of sums up my reasons for not being that fussed.  I understand you need a way to ensure safety, what I don't understand (ignoring the why's and the wherefore's over yesterdays farce) is why everything you have achieved bar grid position is wiped out on any version of restart they go with.  Even after a Red they usually line-up in the pits or grid.  For starters, it's always struck me as bizarre to rub out the previous gains, but it also seems inherently unsafe - the most likely time to have a crash is off the start when everyone is bunched.  Surely, if a Safety Car would be needed just stop the thing, bring everyone in and restart once clear, no laps lost.  Use the grid and everyone gets a green light based on the moment the race was stopped.  I understand in times of yore this would have been less exact, but these days they know the nth degree where everyone was.

On the race yesterday - it was clear, because they let us hear the comms, that the ability to get in the ear of the race director is farcical.  He'd already decided the restart, then changed at the very last second once Horner chewed on him for a bit.  Not knocking Red Bull for trying because Wolf was doing likewiese earlier about something if I remember correctly.  Why can they even contact him?  Just fucking do as your told and dispute it after if you feel the rules were not applied.

The sport continues to look like a crooked money pit, same as it always has.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 13:58:42 »

This hoo ha sums up F1

Clems Army!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 15:11:01 »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1470318952748392450

This is definitely worth a watch. Ricciardo's on board for that final lap.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Hunk

« Reply #40 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 15:21:42 »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1470318952748392450

This is definitely worth a watch. Ricciardo's on board for that final lap.

Also this:

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 16:47:57 »

Whatever your view on F1, the drivers, the rules, whatever Verstappens win will always be seen as tarnished. Hamilton will be back, for a few more seasons then he’ll call it a day.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: