Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Harrogate pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34798 times)
Crackity Jones

« Reply #360 on: Saturday, November 27, 2021, 22:15:37 »

Pissed off with the "forward" and boos today. Yes, we weren't great and Garner needs to find a way for us to play at home. But, we aren't equipped to lump it forward. It just comes back at us.

The main issue for me was trying to play Payne, Williams and Gladwin together. They all want to occupy the same space. We looked so much better when one of them was sacrificed for McKirdy. I was surprised at how dirty Harrogate were. KKH in particular was given a kicking all afternoon. That said  I thought they were a good side. We could have won it at the end but I think that would have been harsh on Harrogate.

Best performances were from Payne and Williams (once Gladwin was subbed). Off the pace were Iandolo and Reed today.

We are 4th and should take that given where we have come from but Garner needs to find a way for us to be effective at home against decent sides.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Saturday, November 27, 2021, 23:32:48 »

I agree. We played Williams, Gladwin and Payne together once before and we were awful.

I think JML takes KKHs space when he comes on too.

McKirdy makes Simpson play better too, because he tells him what he should have done. He tends to remember that for the next opportunity.

Still, a point against a decent side.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 04:03:41 »

Was McKirdy booked again?

For all their supposed composure on the ball it seems that the back 3/5 didn’t have the confidence to try and break their high press, opting instead to turn backwards and pass to Wollacott who’s only choice then was to launch up to our midgets. When they’ve committed 4 players high up the pitch you’d think there would be so much space to exploit behind them if we could only beat the press.

That was the problem yesterday - lack of confidence in your own, and others, ability on the ball. And that is what we are supposed to be better at than the other teams.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 08:51:39 »

Could have lost it early on and could have won it at the end. A blatant pen on iandolo.. Still if you can't win it don't lose it. Take the point and on to the next one. 2 points off 2nd with a game in hand.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 09:23:26 »

Was McKirdy booked again?

Club twitter seemed to think so following Iandolo penalty claim. I didn't think so though, thought he booked Iandolo for the 'dive' and their centre back for pushing and shoving our players
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #365 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 09:32:17 »

How come Garner isn't reacting to the poor home performances and reoccurring theme as he often talks about studying data so can't understand why we play the same when teams are stopping us from playing
He doesn't have the players to do that at the moment.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 09:35:18 »

He doesn't have the players to do that at the moment.

Fair point although I can't help but think he could change things more than he does when teams are pressing high at home as we seem to adapt well when playing away when teams attack us.

So, give no fucks
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #367 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 09:37:33 »

Fair point although I can't help but think he could change things more than he does when teams are pressing high at home as we seem to adapt well when playing away when teams attack us.
I agree. I would be looking to possibly take one of the attacking players out and play Lyden or East alongside Reed. We are being battered on the counter
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 09:41:24 »

Spot on

So, give no fucks
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 09:45:51 »

I agree with Batch's clear & concise thoughts on the first half (page 11).
Good summary and points made by Frigby Daser on page 23 as well.

Far too cautious in the first half. It wasn't Liverpool or Man City that were doing the pressing.
There are solutions, more than one, as suggested by others in some of the post match thread comments.
It's not a good look when a section of the DRS was reduced to ironic cheers every time Odimayo passed it back to JJW.

Was that a zonal marking system across the pitch that I saw before me?
If so credit to the Harrogate coaching. A very decent & well drilled side.
They'll be kicking themselves (and not KKH) that the game wasn't out of reach before our rally at the end.

Still, bigger picture and all that, a good point. Two home games unbeaten and in a very good position.

Hate the type of refereeing on display yesterday.
Oh shit, might have a made mistake there so I'll make another one to even it out.

Not sure if the Rolex gets an obscure mention in Les Prophéties by Nostradamus.
Best to get it fixed as soon as possible, just in case.
Hopefully Richard Deacon will get the call before Rodders in Gorse Hill does.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 10:15:29 »

Chelsea away in the something or other cup. Stood on that open bank with a 7000 crowd, in January, in a denim jacket. Was about minus 2.
Remember that well, think we all prayed there wouldn't be extra time.  Brass monkeys and all that.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #371 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 10:58:50 »

Club twitter seemed to think so following Iandolo penalty claim. I didn't think so though, thought he booked Iandolo for the 'dive' and their centre back for pushing and shoving our players
Its not come up on BBC as a yellow and I didn't see the ref book him even though he was protesting heavily.

As stated above if you cant win then dont lose, we are doing ok its just frustrating that we cant win consistantly at home in ages now it seems.

No need for any booing at all, the players were obviously trying and giving it all it just didnt work for whatever the reason and the wind was a huge factor.

For all their good stuff Harrogate played their shithousing and genuinely trying to hurt our players was very non league in its approach, if you cant beat them hurt them philosphy, that will have to stop as its not acceptible in this day and age.

They came to do a job and they did it, we had a few influential players off their game and I am still not sure why Garner didn't start with the electric squirrel up front as he changed the game when he came on again.

Anyway a point isnt that bad against a top 7 side who are very good on their travels but I do wish we could sort out the problems at home, still only 3 losses (not on pens) in 23 games is pretty fucking good.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 11:40:47 »

One other thing why do we keep playing floated balls across our own box especially in conditions like yesterday? A fair few got intercepted and put us in big trouble including the scramble that required last ditch block’s towards the end. Conroy is usually the main culprit and hope your captain would lead by example and not take unnecessary risks. Not sure if it’s overconfidence or lack of experience but it’s suicidal at times.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 12:05:58 »

Long time since I've been that cold at a game.

Weird game.  I'd regard that as two points lost if I was a Harrogate fan.  They had 6+ clear cut chances to put that game beyond reach, mainly through our errors trying to play the ball out.  Couple of phenomenal blocks by Town but we simply can't keep putting ourselves in that position and relying on opposition ineptitude or heroic defending.

And yet when we got the penalty with (I think) our first shot on target we were so unlucky not to go on and win.  I didn't even look at the ref when we had the stonewall penalty because I just assumed he would give it, probably plus a red card to the defender.  Great block by their defender at the end but very unlucky on 3 separate occasions not to get the winner.

We are a diving team, even by modern standards.  Not sure if that was partly why ref didn't give us the other 2 penalties.

Overall a point won I guess but fucking irritating in the end.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #374 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 12:30:21 »

Good to hear that KKH came through without any real damage after yesterdays game. That awful foul that should have been a red could easily have broken his leg or ankle.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: