Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Hartlepool pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 25626 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 22:59:05 »

Funny you say that about Simpson, up to a few minutes before he scored I thought it was as bad as I have seen him in terms of movement and touch etc! Superb after that and will be very interesting to see how he develops in the years ahead given he’s so young. An absolute handful physically.
Yes, confidence player. Also, interesting to see he played 3 awesome cutbacks to McKirdy from the left after McKirdy gave him a bollocking when he shot from the left over the Townend.

He often needs someone to tell him what to do and doesn't react too quickly. But, when he is confident, he is a big handful! Think he will be a good second striker in a few years time.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 23:02:14 »

Just got back; really enjoyed that! Williams obvious MoM, no contest really. All our creative attacking play was through him.
Simpsons hold up play turns and distribution has improved loads since the start of the season; he played a few great passes. Touch still 50/50, but that'll improve too; he's streets ahead of some of our recent 'strikers' (Doyle and Yates excepted). His goal was sheer power, he deserved it.

Iandolo needs to practice crossing if he wants to be a wing back. Unlike others, and unlike earlier in the season, I wasnt frustrated at all by our 'playing across the back' as you could see players making runs all the time so there was always a chance of something happening. McKirdy and Simpson both excellent at that, constant movement.

McKirdy needs to calm down, 60 seconds before the yellow he was warned by the ref (mouthing off?) then committed an obvious and pointless foul; then just to make sure he kicked the ball away. wtf. Reckon he was subbed to avoid a red.

Pools offside was mental; anyone see it and have view on whether it was off? Can see why they were pissed, it looked like the lino flagged coz our players moaned at him soapy tit wank, though that may not have been how it was.

Last random thought: "How shit must you be, we're winning at home". Good bants, not sure how inspiring to the team though...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 23:20:11 by AMayesIng » Logged
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 23:02:54 »

Funny you say that about Simpson, up to a few minutes before he scored I thought it was as bad as I have seen him in terms of movement and touch etc! Superb after that and will be very interesting to see how he develops in the years ahead given he’s so young. An absolute handful physically.

Opinions and arseholes and all that. But thought his hold up play was top tier today. Deserved another assist too with that cross across goal.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 23:19:09 »

Liked the Payne, Williams, Reed, McKirdy and General celebration after the whistle.

Interesting to see how far this team can go. Think there are a few subtle personnel changes that would strengthen the team considerably.

I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, as I think we are doing far better that I thought we would. We are getting better every week. But part of me is worried about how far this might go and what happened last time we got promoted. I wonder if we need a couple more of our own players before we can mount an effective challenge?
Assuming your definition of effective challenge is consolidating in League 1 if we are promoted this season, then there’s so many factors and too numerous for me to list now. January will be interesting in regards to seeing what our ambitions are in the window and may point towards what a summer recruitment could bring without the restrictions we’ve been under to date.

On the ‘own players point’. Say we were to swap a couple of loanees out for our own players, there’s an argument to say we aren’t guaranteed the same quality on a permanent basis which in turn means we may not be as likely to succeed on getting out of League 2.

Let’s not get too ahead ourselves anyway, but it’s an unexpected conversation to be having based on where we were a few months ago  Wink
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 23:52:28 »

So, uhh, having gone from possibly not having a club before season started to the auto promotion slots with a game in hand just before Christmas is something I would have thought beyond possible back in the summer.
digby

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 00:23:11 »

Got to be one of the most odd observations/recollections (or not !) of a Town game tonight !!

Went to my brothers funeral this afternoon, and as he was a navy/submariner  we toasted him with a navy tot of rum (and I had a few extras to finish off the bottle !!)

I can't remember the rest but apparently I attempted to attend the game but was rescued by my son when I fell over in the alleyway ! Next thing I remember was waking up in my chair/panicking I was late for the kick off. Bit confused so I checked online and found it was all over !

Great to find we'd won but a bit pissed off i'd missed it !! Been to a few away victories but haven't seen a home win for a while, so hope I this is one to remember !!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 08:18:46 »

sorry for your loss Digby.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 08:19:39 »

Got to be one of the most odd observations/recollections (or not !) of a Town game tonight !!

Went to my brothers funeral this afternoon, and as he was a navy/submariner  we toasted him with a navy tot of rum (and I had a few extras to finish off the bottle !!)

I can't remember the rest but apparently I attempted to attend the game but was rescued by my son when I fell over in the alleyway ! Next thing I remember was waking up in my chair/panicking I was late for the kick off. Bit confused so I checked online and found it was all over !

Great to find we'd won but a bit pissed off i'd missed it !! Been to a few away victories but haven't seen a home win for a while, so hope I this is one to remember !!!
I'm sorry for the loss of your brother.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 08:26:39 »

The improvement of work rate, urgency, commitment, fitness, passing accuracy and ultimately goal threat was clear to see. Clearly there were some lesser things to observe, like Ian dolo’s crossing and some errant attempts at goal when other options were available and pissing about with unwarranted, wayward passing out from the back, not to mention Wollacot gifting them the opportunity to score from his hurried clearance which they took and McKirdy’s desire for an early Bath.

One swallow does not make a blowjob princess, however, we won with a margin and deservedly so. Let’s hope we can now redress the unbalance of our home form v away form without the latter going into reverse. All in all a deserved win and I would like to think the Harrogate scouts have something to think about for Saturday.

Noticeably our habit of scoring late seems to be a regular fixture and at 1-1 when the DNA thought that would be that I confidently predicted we’d score again. Not perfect but that will do because I’m sure we can improve on that and although I missed Garners post match presser with AH I bet he thinks if not said the same.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:01:10 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Crackity Jones

« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 08:47:01 »

Glad I made the decision to drive up to the game. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Williams bossed the game - a cut above everyone else in the game. He ran the show. Simpson ran him close for Motm for me. He always tried to be available, scored a great goal through sheer strength and determination and he has started to bring back to goal,  hold up play into his game. Last night he was exactly what I want from my number 9.

That said, our defence was concerning as Pool were able to get through far too easily.  Our central midfield went missing too often leaving Conroy, AK and Hunt exposed. I was pleased to hear Garner pick up on this post match.  Iandolo was back to the version of a few weeks back that can do everything except cross. Hopefully just a bad day at the office for him.

Finally, I love the way Garner is managing his squad; playing to each players strengths and limitations eg Gladwin. He also speaks well on how he sees things. All a far cry from Shezza effing and jeffing on the touchline.  COYR

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 08:54:07 »

It's hard to criticise a decent performance and home win but we still need to address how easy it is at times for the opposition to carve us with ease and are able to score.

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 08:55:52 »

Hartlepool were more direct from just inside their half when attacking, seemed to glide towards our goal untroubled at times. My only criticism.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:05:36 »

Saturday could be an open game as Harrowgate are joint top scorers in the league but do concede a lot.

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:42:14 »

Looking at the future and not getting ahead of ourselves, how do we think the Garner approach would get on in L1 - albeit with a few changes in personnel.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:43:29 »

Lovely to wake up to 3 points but at times it was a frustrating evening last night. First half according to the stats we had 66% possession but whilst playing some very nice football there just didn't feel like we were ever going to score. Iandolo and KKH were the outlets but consistently just don't seem to have end product. Iandolo in particular keeps over hitting his crosses. I suppose the talking point in the first half was the disallowed goal, which to me looked a simple offside decision. Even Cullen's celebration told you all you needed to know. Quite why it took him 30 seconds or more to put his flag up i'll never know.

Second half I think the only change was to allow one of the centre backs more license to get forward and offer support. Someone mentioned it in the matchday thread I think but having 3 centre backs at home does seem to stifle things, pushing one of them a bit more forwards provides extra numbers. That said, when we lost the ball Hartlepool did seem to be able to get in 'behind' us very easily to test our panicky defence! Our goal, which looked suspiciously like offside against McKirdy (although their big centre back may have been playing him on) should have settled nerves, lovely cross by McKirdy and brave bullet header by Williams, but Hartlepool to their credit weren't overawed and after hitting the bar with us all over the place got the equaliser. I did fear the worst at this stage, we looked nervy but managed to survive a few sticky spells. Simpson's strength and dogged determination earned him his goal and with Hartlepool chasing and looking quite tired, Jack Payne scored a brilliant third. 3 points is 3 points and hopefully we can push on at home.

Final thing, and this may be just how it comes across on Ifollow, but the atmosphere last night just seemed very flat and nervy. Andrew Hawes also commented so I guess it wasn't just me. There looked to be good numbers in the Town End (on the right hand side particularly) but it did seem uncharacteristically quiet there in particular. It's tough given the style of football we play but at times it felt like a reserve/pre-season game and I'm not sure how helpful that is for players. Good numbers for a cold November Tuesday evening mind you.

Final Final thing actually - and I suspect he might be like marmite but I love Andrew Hawes as a commentator. He manages to commentate on a team he clearly loves yet remains completely impartial. (a lot of Ifollow commentators are blatantly bias) I do like his chats with whoever the co-commentator is, I enjoyed his bit about the lettuce, I am sure this infuriated others!! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: