Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26861 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:03:24 »

Looking at the top nine in the league 2 only Northampton have scored fewer goals than us so definitely something to work on there considering how much possession we have in games.

So, give no fucks
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:08:28 »

First 8 games, 9 goals then a blank in our 0-0 vs Col U, last 6 games we've scored 13.  That suggests we're working on it Smiley
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:10:30 »

Fair point, it also points to home games being the problem.

So, give no fucks
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:11:54 »

I've not seen many games this season but we always look dangerous on the counter away from home, creating chances - even when we seem to be under the cosh.

It's a completely different game at home where the oppo have 8 behind the ball and we mostly look laboured for all our possession.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:16:17 »

Unquestionable that home form is our problem, Williams really getting into gear could be something we can harness to get through teams in this regard hopefully, we should also never start with 2 defensive FBs at home again.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:19:37 »

I've not seen many games this season but we always look dangerous on the counter away from home, creating chances - even when we seem to be under the cosh.

It's a completely different game at home where the oppo have 8 behind the ball and we mostly look laboured for all our possession.

You are right but it's hardly a new formation we're playing against at home and can remember McMahon saying the same thing and the way to break the opposition down is to move the ball quicker and get down the wings and put crosses into the box.

So, give no fucks
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:29:01 »

You are right but it's hardly a new formation we're playing against at home and can remember McMahon saying the same thing and the way to break the opposition down is to move the ball quicker and get down the wings and put crosses into the box.
We do largely play narrow at home.  Agree with what you say.  As for Simpson however, I feel he is for now stronger having the ball pinged to feet or into space behind defenders rather than  getting to the near post first or pulling off his man in other ways for crosses from the wing.

And Kinky is right, Williams seems our most creative player at home and Reed and Gladwin can pick a pass.  KKH was looking for lofted balls inside the retreating full back against Bradford but Gladwin didn't make them.  With a bit more time together, I'm sure we'll see developments on the interplay needed to breakdown defensive set ups.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:30:16 »

Good post

So, give no fucks
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #458 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 19:42:20 »

Sometimes he might, but I can also think of 4-5 games off the top of my head where we may as well have been playing with 10 men.

His inability to win headers and his lack of a first touch means more often than not, the ball ends up with the opposition coming straight back at us when we’re under pressure. You’d think for somebody of his size, he’d be way more of a handful in the air and would hold the ball up better. He doesn’t even jump properly for most aerial duels. I don’t know if it’s a lack of belief or if he’s just never been taught.

I’m not saying he doesn’t have good moments. The first half at Sutton he showcased what he should be doing way more often. Held it up very well and ran the channel. Won fouls and was genuinely involved in the game. Unfortunately we only see this version of Simpson for around 20 mins per match.
Like McKirdy then and most league 2 footballers.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 23:31:03 »

No this teenager who could have been playing pro rugby needs to be completely proficient in every aspect of professional football right now!

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Monday, November 1, 2021, 09:55:15 »

Unquestionable that home form is our problem, Williams really getting into gear could be something we can harness to get through teams in this regard hopefully, we should also never start with 2 defensive FBs at home again.

I'd drop another midfielder in (East, Lyden or Grant all OK) and push the wing backs really high. You break teams down who play 11 men behind the ball by a) moving it fast and b) playing with width high up the pitch. The midfielders can cover the counter while we push the full backs high. Agreed, we should never play both Odimayo and Hunt at home. I'd personally go for both of our attacking options (Iandolo and KKH)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Monday, November 1, 2021, 10:20:54 »

Some of my thoughts after the game on Saturday.

Firstly Oldham were terrible and we absolutely ran the show in the first half. Weirdly we seemed to get complacent in the second half and allowed Oldham to come back into the game a little bit. Unfortunately for however well Conroy plays, he always seems to have at least one rick a game in him. I think he was very lucky not to concede a pen/and/or a red card (can't remember the rules completely) when he dawdled on the ball and let Hallam Hope get wrong side of him. That could have changed the game completely. I mentioned this before the game last week, but the high line defending that we do I think is going to lead to our downfall against better sides. Oldham had an absolutely clear cut opportunity first half where they had 2 players in acres of space and thankfully weren't good enough to take it. Balls into our box continue to be our defensive achilles heel, another goal conceded in this manner.

That said, however bad the opposition were there were many positives to take. I thought Iandolo had his best game in ages, his touch has always been sound and he looks to be improving his balls into the box, not always perfect but with Mckirdy and Simpson to aim for he's doing his job and finally seems to have found a role he seems comfortable with. (after 7 seasons!!) KKH on the other side is fast and tricky and again looks to have improved delivery. If we can get both on the top of their games and adapted at home, we could reap the rewards. Gladwin, Williams and Reed I thought controlled things, Gladwin makes the game look easy at times, think he has found his home with us now. Payne when he came on was excellent as usual, a great asset to have against a demoralised tiring team.

Final word to Simpson. Yes he is not the perfect striker, he's clumsy on the ball and his touch can be erratic. He is frankly useless in the air (I wonder if his heavy set affects his ability to jump for headers or something, he doesn't seem comfortable in the air at all?) That said he is also very strong and powerful and seems to be both footed (think he prefers his left?), given his 2 finishes were with right and left foot. Certainly the defender for the third goal didn't know what side to force him onto and Simpson was able to finish easily with his left foot. I like him, he works hard for the team, makes good runs and is now reaping the rewards. It's at home where we need to try and work out how to utilise him best. Sides sitting deep can defend easily against him.

Crewe away next, should be a good test and 2 sides that play a similar style of football.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #462 on: Monday, November 1, 2021, 10:31:24 »

Final word to Simpson. Yes he is not the perfect striker, he's clumsy on the ball and his touch can be erratic. He is frankly useless in the air (I wonder if his heavy set affects his ability to jump for headers or something, he doesn't seem comfortable in the air at all?) That said he is also very strong and powerful and seems to be both footed (think he prefers his left?), given his 2 finishes were with right and left foot. Certainly the defender for the third goal didn't know what side to force him onto and Simpson was able to finish easily with his left foot. I like him, he works hard for the team, makes good runs and is now reaping the rewards. It's at home where we need to try and work out how to utilise him best. Sides sitting deep can defend easily against him.
As fanciful as it sounds I wonder if Wycombe would allow Akinfenwa day release to give him some 1 to 1 coaching as Akinfenwa is a master of what Simpson could be.

If Akinfenwa indeed does wish to pursue a career in coaching, could work well for both parties.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Monday, November 1, 2021, 13:59:50 »

Crewe away next, should be a good test and 2 sides that play a similar style of football.
Crewe have won one game all season and it was against 10 men, whilst we're unbeaten away from home all year. At the risk of sounding a little arrogant, I'd say we should be winning this one.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Monday, November 1, 2021, 14:07:42 »

They’re playing an equally shit Donny tonight. Be interesting to see who manages to win that one.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: