Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 9116 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 20:37:44 »

Cheers Sippo, did you buy in Swindon and is the insurance reasonable?

Bought from an Indy in Bridgewater. Found on autotrader. Insurance is obviously dependent on personal circumstances. Battery is covered by bmw for 60k miles.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 00:01:44 »

Trouble for me is I'm a petrolhead. Electric cars may go like shit off a shovel off the line, but it's just boring to me. Point and go. Very linear. Tesla, there are none that I think are a good looking car. No wow factor for me.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 06:22:41 »

I understand that diesel and petrol in cars are major factor in climate change. What I don't understand is when all cars are electric:
How many chargers will be required across the country? What cost to charge your car with energy prices rising?
What is the time to fully charge your car? We already moan at fuel queues but queueing to charge your car will take considerably longer
What happens to the batteries once the life cycle is complete?
Where will the revenue come from, road tax & fuel duty?
But most importantly we can't harvest enough natural resources to power all our homes let alone cars so we will have to burn fossil fuel to make the electric. What is the difference?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 06:26:37 »

As a motorcyclist, I am a fan of the ICE. The Yamaha crossplane crank engine from the R1/MT10 is perhaps my favourite. However, I have no problem with the fact that things change and we have to move on.

Nothing to see here
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 07:21:12 »

so we will have to burn fossil fuel to make the electric. What is the difference?

Even if we were buring the majority of fossil fuels in our power stations (we're not - https://gridwatch.co.uk/), large modern power plants are much more efficient (45%ish) than even the best petrol engine (30% max).
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 07:41:21 »

Could they not make electric cars with solar light cell body panels?  Smiley
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 08:08:06 »

Even if we were buring the majority of fossil fuels in our power stations (we're not - https://gridwatch.co.uk/), large modern power plants are much more efficient (45%ish) than even the best petrol engine (30% max).

OK cheers.
I'm a lazy cunt and don't bother doing that much research, I want the facts given to me to allow me to make an informed choice.
Can we sustain all electric cars across the whole country?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 08:18:18 »

I've done self-charging hybrid (Niro) and plug-in hybrid (225xe) but have gone back to standard ICE.

Mild-hybrid is just a marketing con, it's just a slightly modified version of stop/start to please the bureaucrats.

I might go full electric next time I change cars, but would still keep an ICE one too until the infrastructure is in place.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 08:24:58 »

But most importantly we can't harvest enough natural resources to power all our homes let alone cars so we will have to burn fossil fuel to make the electric. What is the difference?

Thing is, to pump oil out of the ground, tanker it to a refinery, refine it, then pipe it to where its needed already uses a shitload of electricity which will obviously become available as surplus capacity on the grid once we stop doing the above. There is going to be a massive rebalancing of supply/demand.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:10:00 »

Could they not make electric cars with solar light cell body panels?  Smiley
Lots already have solar cell charginging panels on the roof, the charge though is barely enough to power air con etc nowhere near the charging power to do a full battery.

Won't be all electric for me until the infrastructure is better and charging intervals at least double as I often drive from South Somerset/Devon to Dundee/Perth a drive of 530 each way and at the moment thats a 3 charge run wheras in the Hybrid I can do it for £35 in fuel each way(at current prices) and dont have to worry about recharging the battery as it does it while driving.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:17:50 »

On a similar theme. I was watching a report on replacing gas boilers with heat pumps. Cost is about £12k with a £5k grant. Energy bills about the same. But the heat pump needs electricity to run.

The only way to provide enough electricity to get away from fossil fuels is nuclear - at the moment, anyway.

I’ve got a photo voltaic system on the roof which provides hot water and puts excess solar electricity back into the grid which effectively means I don’t have to pay for electricity all year. In a hot part of the world like this I can’t understand why this isn’t more common.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:43:33 »

Burn plastic in huge generators and pump the carbon created into the bedrock. Two problems solved.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:45:21 »

On a similar theme. I was watching a report on replacing gas boilers with heat pumps. Cost is about £12k with a £5k grant. Energy bills about the same. But the heat pump needs electricity to run.

The only way to provide enough electricity to get away from fossil fuels is nuclear - at the moment, anyway.

I’ve got a photo voltaic system on the roof which provides hot water and puts excess solar electricity back into the grid which effectively means I don’t have to pay for electricity all year. In a hot part of the world like this I can’t understand why this isn’t more common.
Yeah on BBC news this morning, the government put tax up on electric, trying to make us use electric cars, everything is electric these days so you HAVE to use more so the government gets loads of extra income from the tax on it. Win win for the government.

We do not have the infostructure to cope with our current (pun intended) needs let alone with even more drain from things like these new boilers etc, yes they create some but its a trickle with our lack of solar activity!

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:47:12 »

I’ve worked in Nuclear for a lot of my career including on HPC and we urgently need a new fleet, hopefully SMR’s take off and make them a lot quicker to build. A lot of the AGR’s are shutting down now and in a few years will only be Sizewell B left with HPC hopefully commissioned around the turn of the decade.

Says it all about these extinction rebellion and insulate Britain muppets that a lot of them are the same great unwashed that protest against nuclear. Clearly don’t have a clue about anything and just contradict themselves protesting against a zero emissions solution whilst protesting at other times to reduce CO2 emissions.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:47:34 »

Burn plastic in huge generators and pump the carbon created into the bedrock. Two problems solved.
Creating even more of a hole the ozone system through the burning process? no i dont think that would work. Totally counter productive for any possible gains.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: