Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21514 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 22:19:33 »

Would be interesting to know what remit Garner has been given and then to know what he’s thinks his remit is.

My fear is it’s all about creating a style and ‘culture’ that is all about the development of players with just the assumption that success will follow if you get a decent crop in to develop. Whilst to an extent we do need to think that way we’ve seen in recent history under Williams that if you put all your eggs in that basket it can go spectacularly wrong and fans don’t have a great deal of tolerance for this style if it isn’t at least moderately successful.

Winter on almost unplayable pitches will be really interesting as he will surely have no choice but to adapt and change our approach at times.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 22:38:29 »

Williams sustained an injury on the training ground yesterday. Spent a restless night in Hospital. No idea when he’ll be back.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 22:41:27 »

First half all vey meh but the second half was the best 45 I’ve seen this season. Yes, lacking a cutting edge, yes, not scoring enough but I think today showed some individual and collective improvement.

If casual fans can’t cope with what’s being served up, then they can go do something else as far as I’m concerned.
So if you're not 100% happy with how were playing, that makes you a casual fan? What a strange assumption...
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 23:20:25 »

I'm really not sure why people are complaining so much, it was a good game today.  Yes, we like to pass the ball around and keep position.  We get into some good positions but if you look at the bench today, I'm not really sure that Garner could change it too much, he is working with a limited squad.  I'm sure he would love to have an experienced striker but we don't currently have one.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 01:47:59 »

Garner only wanted a squad of 18. He doesn’t want to change it. We have a whole heap of players - ‘attackers’ especially -  that are of a similar mould. Only Simpson is different.

We need some physicality. Nobody seems to want to put a tackle in in midfield.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 07:07:34 »

So if you're not 100% happy with how were playing, that makes you a casual fan? What a strange assumption...

That’s not my assumption at all.

If you read back, you’ll see Pookeman wrote “ We won't go down but we will lose an awful lot of casual fans playing like that.”
china red

« Reply #246 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 07:31:29 »

I really enjoyed yesterday’s game but by hell do we lack goals, or the killer pass in the final third.  Glad win was much improved on all the previous performances of his I’d seen, but he’s stopped shooting which I found strange.

Above anything this is 1000 times better than last season and considering where we were with two weeks to go I’m happy with the progress
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 07:35:37 »

Garner only wanted a squad of 18. He doesn’t want to change it. We have a whole heap of players - ‘attackers’ especially -  that are of a similar mould. Only Simpson is different.

We need some physicality. Nobody seems to want to put a tackle in in midfield.

He might have wanted a small squad but I'm sure he would better striking options but as we are limited on what we can pay, this is what we have
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 07:38:29 »

We could have Harry Kane upfront but if we don’t attack with any pace and intent he isn’t going to score many.

Sure, in an ideal world we’d have more options than just Simpson but I don’t think that’s the main issue here nor our finances that keep getting bought into it.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 07:57:19 »

I thought we were good, played good football, deserved to win, but couldn’t score. Some wayward finishing, some poor movement in the box, some poor decision making at key attacking moments cost us the win.

I don’t agree with the negativity on here one bit.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 08:23:34 »

Quote from: adje
The fact that a supposedly fit Grant is not a "shoe-in" to the squad,let alone the team is a worry to me

he seemed to be before international duty. .
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 08:28:02 »

I thought we were good, played good football, deserved to win, but couldn’t score. Some wayward finishing, some poor movement in the box, some poor decision making at key attacking moments cost us the win.

I don’t agree with the negativity on here one bit.

Pretty much sums it up for me, although do understand those who want the ball moved quicker on occasions, which we did 2nd half. We had 18 shots today, 6 on target, which is probably up there with our best stats this season and should be enough to win a game of football.

Dont think Grant would have made any difference today, as we had so much possession and he is not known for his incisive passing. He is far more effective when we are struggling to win the ball back or under the cosh - would have been useful in such moments at Northampton last week. We missed the option of  McKirdy and Williams from the bench as they do offer something different in their ability to take players on in the final third.

Like someone else said, I found it strange that Gladwin turned down the opportunity to shoot on a few occasions, as he is capable of finding the net from range.  Overall though very happy with the performance, unlucky not to win.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #252 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 08:41:48 »

First half all vey meh but the second half was the best 45 I’ve seen this season. Yes, lacking a cutting edge, yes, not scoring enough but I think today showed some individual and collective improvement.
100% this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 08:48:31 »

Maybe if the later Williams period wasn't so fresh in the mind the current possession based style might be accepted a bit more by some of the support.
If Flitcroftball had been the prevalent style for the past 5 or 6 years the overall perception now might be a bit different.

It's still a million times better than last season and yesterday was good in terms of some variations as well.
Defenders bringing the ball out, some good long diagonals and some attempts at longer passes through the middle, not aimless but with a purpose.

The delivery from the wing backs needs to improve and ideally when one is crossing the other one should be in the box as well.
Would like to see the KKH cross for Simpson again to see if it was a case of just doing it and not having any time to think about what he was going to do.

I think we are getting there, albeit slowly.
Would love to see it all click into place next Saturday though.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 08:59:17 »

So, let’s leave the moaning and groaning to one side.

Do people think maintaining the present style of play will improve just by dint of playing it more often or do some personnel need to change/be replaced?

Does the ‘style’ just need tweaking or a more emphatic change?

Does anyone think Garner is capable/interested in changing one little bit?

Who on earth could we bring in in January that would massively improve us given the style remains exactly the same?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: