Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ex Bristol Rovers player Mark Little view on Ben Garner  (Read 5346 times)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 20:51:28 »

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-little-inside-dysfunctional-bristol-5741339.amp

Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 21:02:01 »

That makes for re-assuring reading.

I was dreading reading it when I saw 'dysfunctional' in the title
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 07:43:30 »

Interesting interview that. Probably the equivalent of Caddis' insights into our season, if anything a bit less careful not to offend anyone.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 08:00:25 »

Tbh, it’s probably what I thought. If the club set up isn’t right it’s very difficult for any manager to make it work. It seems Garner didn’t have full input into recruitment and was hamstrung by having to ke players he wanted to move on. Forget Barton the man, but even Barton the manager was a failure.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 09:04:37 »

He doesn't like Tisdale one bit, does he?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 09:16:24 »

Heard a few things within Rovers during last season (know somebody who had worked previously with a player) and Tisdale was not liked at all.

Only real criticism of Garner was the culture of triple sessions, especially when they were struggling.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 09:18:46 »

Heard a few things within Rovers during last season (know somebody who had worked previously with a player) and Tisdale was not liked at all.

Only real criticism of Garner was the culture of triple sessions, especially when they were struggling.

Well they can consider themselves lucky that they didn’t have Lou Macari as manager then 🤣🤣
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 09:28:46 »

Could never get this fascination about Tisdale being a sought after Manager, even more so mentioned so many times as a potential candidate for Swindon.
Just don’t get it at all. Odd ball character as well.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 09:50:22 »

Could never get this fascination about Tisdale being a sought after Manager,
This, living down here in Exeter territory their fans were not hugely happy in him as manager, he had 1 or 2 half decent seasons in about 100 at Exeter!

Plays dull football and relied on Steve Perryman a lot, when Perryman wasn't there he struggled.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 10:10:00 »

Their fans are very twitchy atm. Had millions in via transfer fees/add ons and haven’t seemingly spent any of it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 11:00:06 »

For those who haven't read this.

How did you find working under Ben Garner?

Ben was up there with one of the best coaches I’ve worked with. He’s an extremely good coach.

He knows his football and he knows how to coach players, but he was in and out. He came in, then left for personal reasons, then came back and had a short spell, then COVID knocked that on the head.

Then he had a short spell to turn things round after pre-season. I know the club didn’t have time to wait, but he wasn’t able to get everything across and we ran out of time to achieve what we wanted to do, which was unfortunate and he probably feels the same as me. It was a very similar outcome.

He didn’t have time to give a good account of himself. Although the time period was long, but there were bits missing due to personal reasons and COVID. You can’t do anything about that.

Do you think he can go on and learn from the experience and be a success?

I’m sure he will and he will use it as a learning experience. The advice he will be given will be about both the football coaching and the managerial side, and the latter is the bit I think he would be working on.

I think 100 per cent he’s going to become a top manager if that’s what he wants to go and do.

The easy criticism to make of Rovers under Garner is the recruitment side of things. Do you think the squad was put together as it should have been?

It was dreadful, but that wasn’t down to Ben Garner. I think it’s publicised that it was Ben Garner’s decision, but I don’t think it was, it was from other places.

If Ben was able to get the people he wanted in and the people he wanted out, it would be a different scenario, but he wasn’t allowed to do that and I think it’s very unfair to say it was all him. But that’s how football works, isn’t it.

It seemed to me that in certain ways the club was dysfunctional. Garner made decisions for players to leave, but the club was unable to move them on anywhere, and he wasn’t able to get some of his targets. Do you think the club let him down?

When you say the “club”, that’s such a broad term.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimpanzee

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 13:14:22 »

Good read - sounds like a watered down version of our season.

I wonder what he meant regarding BG needs to focus on his management skills..
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 5, 2021, 15:16:36 »

Wasn't he Joe Mangle?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: