Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Motors  (Read 6834 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 17:43:48 »

For a smaller car then I have had several Suzuki Swifts. I think they have been the best of the small cars in the last 10 years. But, I'm not sure they have moved that far forward and have rested on their laurels.

A Swift was my previous car, now got a Mini JCW.

Would agree that they're great cars for their purpose, so reliable and cheap to run (£30 road tax, 54mpg). Would totally disagree about them not improving - drove the new model around 18 months ago when I had mine serviced and it was excellent. 1 litre turbo I believe, but my god it shifted. Very pokey little engine.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 18:06:28 »

Bought a new swift sport in late 2007 when few cars were being sold. Paid about £10k - in those days I actually paid cash money for vehicles.  It was a steal.  Great little lukewarm hatch.

Suzukis are also very reliable in my experience.

Nothing to see here
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 10:42:04 »

Later this year we're looking to get a slightly larger car for driving to Ireland/Scotland etc. Now we're more in the country would like something SUV ish. The Kia Sportage looks quite nice and I've been reading about the 7 year warranty which seems a winner. Would anyone recommend or suggest something similar. Nothing pretentious like a Ra nge Rover thank you.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 10:52:36 »

Later this year we're looking to get a slightly larger car for driving to Ireland/Scotland etc. Now we're more in the country would like something SUV ish. The Kia Sportage looks quite nice and I've been reading about the 7 year warranty which seems a winner. Would anyone recommend or suggest something similar. Nothing pretentious like a Ra nge Rover thank you.

Dacia Duster

Nothing to see here
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 10:53:49 »

Dacia Duster

Ah cheers, will give that a look also.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 11:11:48 »

No
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 11:16:05 »

No

No good 4D?

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 11:19:46 »

You should probably go for a few test drives and make your own mind up.

Nothing to see here
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 11:31:37 »

You should probably go for a few test drives and make your own mind up.

Well thank you Captain obvious for that ever so helpful advice. No harm in getting some suggestions on here first to give some kind of idea.

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 11:36:57 »

Well thank you Captain obvious for that ever so helpful advice. No harm in getting some suggestions on here first to give some kind of idea.

No problem.  Happy to help.

My point was, leaving badge snobbery to one side, the Duster is a decent option. I think the reviews generally support that.  Kia, as a brand, was looked down on only a few years or so ago.

Of course, it may be that 4D has one or has owned one in the past.

Nothing to see here
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 12:54:15 »

No problem.  Happy to help.

My point was, leaving badge snobbery to one side, the Duster is a decent option. I think the reviews generally support that.  Kia, as a brand, was looked down on only a few years or so ago.

Of course, it may be that 4D has one or has owned one in the past.

To be honest I'm past badge snobbery now. Is Dacia owned by Renault or vice versa? An in law has a Duster and he's had no problems with it.

Yeah be interesting to see what 4D's thoughts are on it.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 13:09:04 »

Yeah, Dacia is basically a Renault underneath.

I think Kia & Hyundai (sister companies) offer good value for money. I'm looking at getting a Kia Stonic or Hyundai Kona.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, May 15, 2021, 14:57:04 »

Badge snobbery is good. It pushes the price of decent cars down!

My Octavia is the best car that size I've owned, better than 2 Mondeo, a Laguna and an Avensis by a mile.

Suspect a beamer or Merc would be a better drive but not really the market I was in
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #28 on: Sunday, May 16, 2021, 06:50:08 »

Have a look at the nearly new market too. My current car had 4k on the clock (7 months old) and was £7k cheaper than brand new.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, May 16, 2021, 07:38:42 »

Have a look at the nearly new market too. My current car had 4k on the clock (7 months old) and was £7k cheaper than brand new.

My Ford Eco sport was a year old when I bought it and had previously been part of a mobility fleet to take people shopping and what not. Had 700 miles on the clock but like yours it had already lost it’s ‘I’m off the forecourt’ value of about 7k.

It was the closest thing to brand new without being brand new.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: