Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Motors  (Read 6832 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:06:56 »

Right we have put it of long enough, but now we have the dag we are going to have to replace the 12 year old Polo with something newer and a bit bigger.

Any suggestions in the Focus/Fabia Estate kind of scale (that's what we have looked at so far), don't want to spend a fortune so also considering the pros/cons of buying outright v. leasing.

Away you go.....
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:09:46 »

BMW 3 Series Touring
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:12:54 »

BMW 3 Series Touring

Did you miss the bit about not wanting to spend a fortune....  Wink Cheesy
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:25:51 »

Right we have put it of long enough, but now we have the dag we are going to have to replace the 12 year old Polo with something newer and a bit bigger.

Any suggestions in the Focus/Fabia Estate kind of scale (that's what we have looked at so far), don't want to spend a fortune so also considering the pros/cons of buying outright v. leasing.

Away you go.....

If you lease purchase with a balloon payment you’ll end up paying the full list of whatever they have available for that purpose. You also have to consider that the lease element is infact a finance agreement of which the garage get a slice of commission and the finance company are also making on the actually value of the loan plus Bolton’s like admin fees etc.

If you just lease and hand back it’s very similar because you’re covering the three years write down on the residual sale value to the trade or when it goes on their forecourt.

If you have the wonga/bunce/spondoolicks you can haggle down from the list price assuming you can find out what that is but you can trade off dealers with each other. Or you can borrow a sizeable amount from someone like Sainsburys bank @ about 2.8% interest depending on your credit rating of course.

Might be worth looking at a nearly new where someone else has coughed up the three years loss from the forecourt list price. Another tool to use is buying a copy of Parker’s guide which is the retail equivalent of Glasses guide to help you look for the best deals and how much your chosen vehicle is likely to set you back.
Panda Paws

« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:31:21 »

If you lease purchase with a balloon payment you’ll end up paying the full list of whatever they have available for that purpose. You also have to consider that the lease element is infact a finance agreement of which the garage get a slice of commission and the finance company are also making on the actually value of the loan plus Bolton’s like admin fees etc.

If you just lease and hand back it’s very similar because you’re covering the three years write down on the residual sale value to the trade or when it goes on their forecourt.

If you have the wonga/bunce/spondoolicks you can haggle down from the list price assuming you can find out what that is but you can trade off dealers with each other. Or you can borrow a sizeable amount from someone like Sainsburys bank @ about 2.8% interest depending on your credit rating of course.

Might be worth looking at a nearly new where someone else has coughed up the three years loss from the forecourt list price. Another tool to use is buying a copy of Parker’s guide which is the retail equivalent of Glasses guide to help you look for the best deals and how much your chosen vehicle is likely to set you back.

I think you're conflating leasing and PCP, but still valid points.

Personally - I wouldn't pay cash for anything that depreciates. A car is a life cost, not an asset.

I've got a CX30 - really well spec'ed for the price.
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:33:38 »

I don't agree with buying a car at list when leasing. Certainly in my experience that wasn't the case, and I managed to get my car to 23,800 from a list of 31k. Which I then leased.

I used carwow.co.uk to spec up a car I was interested in.
It then invites dealers from an area + a distance you're prepared to travel to quote on the car you've specced.

For convenience, I chose fish brother skoda who quoted for my car, and whilst you cannot haggle anything further off I was pleased not to have to go to and from playing dealers off against one another as they give their best price first.

I will certainly be using carwow again when the current lease deal concludes. They also have a very good YouTube channel and review most new cars.

Good luck!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:38:25 »

Estates work well for dog + kids. We've gone even further and bought a van!

Leasing works well if the cost of the lease over 2 or 3 years is less than the depreciation from buying new. For example, I leased a BMW hybrid that cost me ~£6k over 2 years, the car would've easily lost £8k in depreciation.

I've been looking because I'm also looking for a new car, but there just aren't any good lease deals available at the moment like there were 2 years ago. There's limited supply because factories have been shut down due to COVID, plus the residual values on petrol/diesel cars is a bit of an unknown because of the move to electric.

I'm in the market for a small SUV. Probably going to buy 2 to 3 years old.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:45:41 »

Also another question to the thread could be what dealerships to purchase from and who to trust/not trust

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 08:58:00 »

Up your way

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103019602073?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2015&maximum-mileage=35000&price-to=11000&postcode=LA45DL&body-type=Estate&sort=price-asc&page=2&price-from=500&radius=25&include-delivery-option=on
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 09:01:09 »

Just to avoid any confusion I would never buy new due to the depreciation the second it leaves the forecourt, likely to be 1-2 years old or leased seems the main choice.

Looking at What car it seems little can match the Fabia in terms of price and general goodness.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 09:04:52 »

Ta, albeit Fleetwood is a total ball ache to get to from here, its less tha 15 miles as the crow flies, unfortunately I don't have a hovercraft!

One thing that has popped up is remarkably the Fabia Estate actually has more boot space than the much larger Focus estate!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 09:09:53 »

I've never leased and always bought.

Think it depends on what you want and how long you are going to keep it. I can see the rationale of buying new and trading back in after a year or two to avoid major upkeep costs and to keep the 'cost to change' at a level that is less than leasing costs. I can also see the rationale in buying new and then keeping it for many years and running it into the ground.

Personally, I would rather buy 'lesser brands' as I think you get more for your money. I've been buying Seat's instead of VW for the last few years and have been really pleased with them. For a smaller car then I have had several Suzuki Swifts. I think they have been the best of the small cars in the last 10 years. But, I'm not sure they have moved that far forward and have rested on their laurels. I think next time I will be looking elsewhere and that will probably be towards electric.

I've only had a brief look at the electric cars. From what I have read, the Kia Nero is the best of the bunch - I have always liked the thought of their 7 year warranty too. Also, I dont think electric is perfect yet, but I think that if the long term aim is to trade Kia for Kia then the Nero might not be a bad buy. Having said that, the £30+k price tag plus a couple of grand to install a charger puts me off somewhat to say the least!!!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 09:11:51 »

Just to avoid any confusion I would never buy new due to the depreciation the second it leaves the forecourt, likely to be 1-2 years old or leased seems the main choice.

Looking at What car it seems little can match the Fabia in terms of price and general goodness.
There are a lot of pre-registered cars available at dealers. I ended up getting one for my son and finding one for my mother-in-law a couple of years ago. The initial depreciation had gone and I still had the 3 year warranty.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 09:18:17 »

Also, I dont think electric is perfect yet, but I think that if the long term aim is to trade Kia for Kia then the Nero might not be a bad buy. Having said that, the £30+k price tag plus a couple of grand to install a charger puts me off somewhat to say the least!!!
Electric is far from perfect, the range is still appalling.

I test drove the Kia Nero when I got the Hyundai Ioniq, awful car to drive and gutless in comparion for similar money. The only fault with my Ioniq is the build quality and poor quality plastics compairs to the other bigger brands I have got new, the Kia was even worse build quality and rattled with about 2,000 miles on the clock.

I will get self charging hybrid again for sure probably in about a year s time as we can't have an external charging source at our house so its ideal for me and for £45 to fill up it gives me an achievable range of 780 miles easily with a gentle right foot and 600 if you are lead footed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 13:09:20 »

I’ve had a Fabia for 2 years. Great little car. Had zero problems with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: