Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 70th Birthday Present  (Read 4415 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 21:44:36 »

Its my mum's 70th in a week and unfortunately we can't celebrate it in any style but I'd like to get her something nice.
Before anyone asks, she has no hobbies, she's not in great health so not overly mobile and this is someone who for the last 30 years has said "i dont know" or "nothing" when asked what they would like for their birthdays.

The only thing i can think of so far is a nice pen, possibly engraved maybe? Not sure if the engraving is too cheesy or not.

Need some ideas please.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 21:56:24 »

Do you have a nice family photo you could get framed. Or could you arrange for a photographer to take one?
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 21:59:19 »

An XTC box set?

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Walthams

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 07:19:29 »

Elton John is doing his final tour, would probably be the sort of music she would have liked (still does).
Tickets would be expensive though.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:07:53 »

Elton John is doing his final tour, would probably be the sort of music she would have liked (still does).
Tickets would be expensive though.

Sounds great but the "she's not in great health so not overly mobile" part makes this quite difficult.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:50:20 »

Had the same issue with my mums 70th (yesterday).

Ended up asking her what she wanted Sad Then added to it with a few bits.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:58:43 »

Strippergram?

In all seriousness with my mum in the years before she died and after many 'I don't really want anything' I rarely ventured beyond flowers and a nice scarf.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:02:52 »

Sounds great but the "she's not in great health so not overly mobile" part makes this quite difficult.

So a skateboard is probably out of the question?

Jeez, not really sure what to suggest, thinking back to what I used to buy my gran when she was alive. She quite liked brooches, or those little crystal animals for putting on her tv or mantlepiece. Flowers is a good shout from Horlock also. (his suggestions, don't address it from Horlock or you'll probably confuse the poor lady)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:05:28 »

Can't go wrong with a good jigsaw puzzle. Preferably depicting something she enjoys, a nice countryside scene or some such...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:09:08 »

Can't go wrong with a good jigsaw puzzle. Preferably depicting something she enjoys, a nice countryside scene or some such...

...or one where you pick what is on the puzzle and put a pic of the family / the grandkids.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:21:03 »

Season ticket in the Arkells?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:23:42 »

Had the same issue with my mums 70th (yesterday).

Ended up asking her what she wanted Sad Then added to it with a few bits.
Yeah, even asking her doesn't help. She hates having money spent on her, its a waste apparently. I'm 36 and she still gives me money every week because she thinks i need it. Not complaining or anything. haha.

I want to get her something that she will say "ohh that's nice" not "what have gone and wasted your money on me for". I'm not even joking.  
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:24:25 »

...or one where you pick what is on the puzzle and put a pic of the family / the grandkids.
Yeah, i've already got a nice framed photo of her and the grandkids sorted, but a puzzle is a good shout actually.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:26:35 »

Season ticket in the Arkells?
She doesnt have too long left as it is mate, the last thing i want to do is shorten that time even more. :-)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:32:38 »

Yeah, i've already got a nice framed photo of her and the grandkids sorted, but a puzzle is a good shout actually.

I think the puzzle is a great idea. I know you already have the framed photo but I what about one of those frames where you can upload a number of images and it changes every 30 seconds or what have you?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: