Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alan McLoughlin  (Read 16740 times)
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 20:01:08 »

Such sad news! Condolences to his family and friends. His prominent place in our club’s history is assured.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 21:03:59 »

Very sad.

54 for christ's sake .....
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 22:12:59 »

Terrible news.  Far too young.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 22:43:35 »

You scored the goal that technically would never count but you are a true legend to us all.
A term that is quite hard to write with sincerity in this age but for you Alan, it holds firmly.

My memory is weak as I was only 4yrs old when you scored that goal and I knew then why I had the club's moniker in my name. I knew then that I would be bound to this club for as long as I am around this earth and this life.

Sleep well Alan Mac, wherever you may be now - I don't think many could disagree that we hope it involves you scoring at Wembley in perpetuity.

You will be dearly missed.

* AlanMac.jpg (12.23 KB, 215x300 - viewed 304 times.)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 22:45:24 by bamboonoclue » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
MichaelPook
Oh stop it Mr Fatbury!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 08:04:02 »

Absolutely gutted. Was always one of my all time favourite players after I spent a couple of hours with him at the Highworth fete before he had made the first team. At the time I used to be at New College and take in Reserve games for free on Weds afternoons where Alan Mac was putting in top displays - he played a couple of times with little impact until the day of the fete when i had the chance to tell a young Alan how good I thought he was in the Reserve games and that it was just a matter of time until he made it big and keep plugging away. No-one at the fete had a clue who he as so I got to chat footy for a couple of hours and his career to that date at Man Utd with lots of stories of Lou Macari being told. He seemed to appreciate someone outside his circle thinking he had what it took and incredibly just two weeks later he got his chance in the first team again. He never looked back and rarely missed another game that season.

I liked to think my words had really hit home but the truth is probably that he always had the ability and it was (as I had said) just a matter of time before he struck it big. Nevertheless I never forgot that day and we chatted about it on twitter where he would often chat to myself about the Swindon Youth teams in later years.

A true Swindon Town legend and that day at Wembley will never be forgotten. (Or the time when he came back to play against us for Pompey and Glenn Hoddle decided he had to take out the danger man with a shocker of a tackle - only got a yellow as it was Glenn but Alan Mac hobbled off!)

RIP Sir Alan Mac

I used to be Fatbury
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 08:26:10 »

RIP Alan Mac.

You scored the goal that put Swindon into the top division for the first time in its history and for that you will always be a true legend.

A great player who started his career slowly under Macari but came to the fore under Ardiles and culminated in scoring that (slightly defelected) goal at Wembley in 1990, a game he bossed the midfield, he then played in the World Cup Finals with Eire helping them get to the QF's.

You then came back to a club you openly said you love to become academy manager in 2016 and put a lot back into the club that launched your career.

At least you are now at peace.

RIP Macca a true Swindon Town legend who was taken from us far far too soon.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 08:33:38 »

Thoughts are with his friends and family, that's no age at all. RIP

Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 08:55:21 »

So very sad. One of those moments when news of someone who you had never met passing brings forward more emotion than you expect. I remember the footage as Ireland qualified for the WC QF’s and I looked specifically for the player from my team involved in it. RIP Alan Mac
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 16:39:53 »

Very sad news. As well as being a fantastic player, it is obvious from the testimonies that have come from Ireland, Portsmouth, Swindon and beyond that he was a great human being as well. RIP Alan McLoughlin.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 17:34:22 »

Always had time for a chat after the game, a true gent and fantastic player and he would be in my all time Town 11.

« Last Edit: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 19:04:38 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 18:06:08 »

Been remembering how good Macca was for us. He was superb at what is now known fashionably as 'third man running'. Kinda before its time, a bit like the Ardiles style of football which suited him perfectly. Why he scored regularly too. He really was a gifted footballer.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 11:34:41 »

Well worth a read........

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/a-love-letter-from-an-adoring-fan-to-his-hero-alan-mcloughlin-211584
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, May 8, 2021, 08:57:29 »

Such sad sad news, used to love watching him.

In the dark days of Diamandis when I was on the trust I was interviewed for ITV news alongside Alan. He was with us, no doubt. Heart and soul he was Swindon. Had a great chat with him and he was keen to help us much as possible. I will never forget his performances off and on the pitch for our great club. RIP
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 18:53:48 »

Squires gets it right again:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/may/11/david-squires-on-alan-mcloughlin-my-first-football-hero

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 07:09:56 »

Very touching.  What a player and obviously, also, what a man.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: