Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wigan v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20948 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 15:13:14 »

4 draws in 24 team league must be close to some sort of record. I assume no team has had 0 draws is a season.

That has to be at the bottom of the average amount of draws usually seen by a team going down by some margin, which makes it harder to swallow because you just know that had we achieved an average we may have had enough points to stay up.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 15:15:38 »

Quote from: Berniman
Thank fuck that is over with - time to go into hibernation until a new owner is in place
or the fa charge kicks us in the nuts
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 15:20:57 »

That has to be at the bottom of the average amount of draws usually seen by a team going down by some margin, which makes it harder to swallow because you just know that had we achieved an average we may have had enough points to stay up.
It’s the draws, or lack thereof, that relegated us. We were just too easy to walk over most of the time
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 16:27:15 »

After watching our ever increasing shit show unfold, I only have one question.

How the fuck are Bristol Rovers 5 points worse than us? It beggars belief.
The fact that we managed to beat them twice probably hints at how indescribably shite they have been
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 16:28:45 »

Tyler shows why it might have been an idea to select him a bit.
Or at least play two up front, even if Sheridan didn't like Smith for whatever reason. Disappointed Parsons didn't get even a cameo
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 16:33:53 »

After watching our ever increasing shit show unfold, I only have one question.

How the fuck are Bristol Rovers 5 points worse than us? It beggars belief.

They lost so many games 1-0. They couldn't score goals for shit.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:20:56 »

Mildenhall:
- Enjoyed the fact we won
- For 46 games we have been mightily woeful
- They think red card was harsh. Letter of law is that he was last man. It helped us as it gave areas to play in and get the ball in to
- Tyler Smith: Players play themselves into a team and need to play well enough to make sure that managers can't leave them out. In the last couple of games Smith has done that. Wright thought his movement would help today
- Ending with a bit of fight is good. Mildy didnt want to come bottom of the league.
- Hard to put into words what has happened this year
- A very very very disappointing season
- Alan Mac: Puts things into perspective. Desperately sad week for the club and all who knew him. Not enough time to talk about how good a person he was
- OOC Players? No movement to Mildy's knowledge.
- Important going forward that people have the time to make the right appointments and decisions.
- It might take a bit of time, but Mildy knows no more than that
- If OOC and relegated, players need to look at themselves. Did they do enough and lay it all on the line? If the answer is yes, then you may be offered a contract. If you can't then you shouldn't be surprised not to get one
- 7 goalkeepers? Not experienced this before. Bonkers rule about emergency loans. Something that needs to be looked at and simplified.
- Camp has been first class since he's come in. He's a credit to the profession. He could easily have said no, but was chomping at the bit to come in and try to help
- Message to the fans? So many things that you could say. After last year it has been a rollercoaster 24 months. Its been difficult with no fans. Sometimes you need supporters there to help spur the team on and give them a kick up the bum too. Hopefully the pandemic will end and we can have fans back
- Getting relegated hurts. Especially those who have come up through the club.
- We didn't win enough and didn't draw enough. Not enough resilience to get further up the table.
- Those who are here will use this as a lesson and don't want this to happen again.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:23:21 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:27:58 »

Hartley:
- Mildy is a Swindon boy and knows how we as fans feel
- Always want to look back and be proud of something, but this year, there is nothing and it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
- Winning 4-3 makes you think 'what might have been'
- 'Mightily woeful' is a good summary of the season
- Red card was a turning point. Although Swindon had become an attacking force once Smith had come on
- From that moment onwards they used the size of the pitch.
- Shouldn't underestimate the contribution of Hope too
- Both substitutes made an im pact on the game
- Garrick injured which is why Hope came on
- Smith for Payne to go traditional 442
- Tyler Smith: Two up top seems to have worked. We haven't been able to create a solid base to play one up top. When we play Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman on his own then there is no get out option. When we play two up top we look more threatening
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:39:14 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:36:10 »

Twine:
- Good way to end a shocking season
- Its not been good enough and we deserve to end up where we are
- As a Swindon Town fan its not a nice position to be in
- We need to do everything we can to get back to L1
- Shocking news about Alan Mac. Gave good advice and was brilliant. Hopefully he was looking down and saw the goals and felt proud
- Everyone who know Macca said what an all round great guy he was. Hit Twine hard as he was close to him. Such sad news
- We didnt play our best game today. Too little too late. Wigan were already safe and we were already down.
- Its not been good enough in both boxes all season
- Twine breakout year: Most he's played and scored this year. Counts for nothing since we were relegated.
- We need to work hard and come back fitter and stronger next year
- Will going back to L2 hamper Twine's career? Not thinking about that now. He loves playing football. He's playing at the moment and has been for the last year. Its frustrating to have gone down
- Have Town offered him a contract? Yes, there is something on the table. Its something he has to think about over then next few weeks. He enjoys playing at Swindon, but will have to see what happens. Doesn't know who the new manager will be, but it will obviously have a bearing
(My take is that he sounded as if he wants to stay)

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:38:48 »

Hartley part 2:
- Twine still hasn't dismissed staying. Similar sentiment as to Mildy. Both are Swindon through and through. In his own mind he feels as if he's part of the furniture. But, career wise, it might not be the right thing.
- Twine's one and only factor seems that he wants to play regularly. In L1 or Champs he might not. An interesting one that might rumble on until we know who the new manager will be

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:49:07 »

Hartley part 3:
- Talked about Wigan not really being good enough to stay up. They were lucky that there were 4 teams that were worse than them
- Substitution and going 442 was the turning point for us.
- Surprising to have replaced Payne as he was one of the bright sparks. But, giving Smith the opportunity to run directly at the centre halves was what we needed
- Interview with Peacock on Friday: Peacock said may be able to bring some of these lads back. Not sure who he was talking about, but speculated that Smith might be one. Hartley thinks he would be good with another striker
- Pitman's time has come. He's not quick enough and his scoring touch has waned. He'd still score the odd goal in L2, but another striker is required.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 17:59:40 »

Hawes:
- Asked for a quick word on Oxford getting into the play offs. He said he had a quick word, but wouldn't be allowed to use it on air.
- Oxford are very direct, scrappy and ugly and have done well to get to the play offs. We'll have to see if Blackpool can cope with that
- Paul Mullin burst into life at Cambridge this year
- As for new owner and manager: If there is new money around, whoever is in charge will need to be careful as everyone will be trying to rip them off as we have to buy a complete team
- Why is Wellens here again? Interesting that we have seen him at the last 2 or 3 games. Maybe he had nothing better to do on a Sunday lunchtime. Maybe its just because the games have been close to his Greater Manchester base. Maybe it helps him to assess L1 and L2
- Lots of talk about it taking a while to appoint Flitcroft. For all his faults, he put together a squad quickly. Although he allegedly had an open cheque book.
- Chances of coming back up? Next season's priority has to get the ownership resolved and make sure we don't go out of the league.
- If Hunt, Baudry and Fryer stay fit then they can be built around.
- Hartley: Best moment of the year was beating Oxford in Broadbent's game. Worst moments have been no fans at games.
- Hawes: Oxford fun. Highpoint was Twine's goal vs Ipswich - Felt like there was a bit of hope. Low point was Milton Keynes. The rolling over that brought about the inevitable. Way below what was acceptable.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:06:23 »

7 goal thriller huh? Bit of a shame I decided to give the game a miss.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:25:14 »

I checked the score on the game three times - once at 1-0, then at 3-1, then at 3-4. Absolutely typical to have that sort of turn around in a dead rubber.

Thanks to NMH for his post-match write ups and to PV for the commentary this season (again). Even if I had the time and the money I'm not sure I would have chosen to watch us this season so your match day contributions are valued.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:32:40 »

I checked the score on the game three times - once at 1-0, then at 3-1, then at 3-4. Absolutely typical to have that sort of turn around in a dead rubber.

Thanks to NMH for his post-match write ups and to PV for the commentary this season (again). Even if I had the time and the money I'm not sure I would have chosen to watch us this season so your match day contributions are valued.

Echo this a big thanks to NMH for your post match summaries, really appreciate reading then afterwards.
PV what can I say, you have kept my sanity going. Mad bastard and need help Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: