Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Holidays are Coming - Sponsored by 4D  (Read 84772 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:57:34 »

Was reported on the radio up here that Hotels are seeing a raft of cancellations as people deciding to go abroad last minute as things ease instead!

Fantastic. Might take advantage of that and discover some more of England that I haven't been to yet.

Plenty of time to go back abroad once it's up and running and back to some kind of normality in the future.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:59:25 »

Was reported on the radio up here that Hotels are seeing a raft of cancellations as people deciding to go abroad last minute as things ease instead!
Good, we come up on Monday for a week in Keswick, might be less people about! Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:29:33 »

Good, we come up on Monday for a week in Keswick, might be less people about! Smiley

I think its been downgraded from Absolutely Fucking Heaving to just plain chocablock!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:31:51 »

Last time (2 years ago) we came up it was full of Chinese tourists, we went on the Lakeside Train/Boat and I would say 3/4 of the passengers were Chinese, I doubt that will be the case this time round.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:39:07 »

Lakeside and Haverthwaite is only about 20 mins from us and I used to take the little one on it a fair bit as we got free travel and parking under some residents thingy.

Last time we went we shared a table with a young Japanese lass, watching her trying to communicate in very limited English (but much better and more extensive than my Japanese) with my 5 year old was very sweet and amusing.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:44:57 »

Canaries in early September....any TEFers been and give me a real time heads up on what the procedure is??

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:48:27 »

Canaries in early September....any TEFers been and give me a real time heads up on what the procedure is??

Batch was in Tenerife last week I think - he should be able to give you a good idea.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Peter Venkman

« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:53:55 »

Batch was in Tenerife last week I think - he should be able to give you a good idea.
Pretty sure he is still out there.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 11:20:39 »

that would be excellent! Thanks.

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 11:45:32 »

that would be excellent! Thanks.

He actually put a little bit on page 9 of this thread actually which may be helpful to ya.

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 11:46:04 »

Batchs post

currently at the pancake cafe at gulf del Sur in Tenerife in my t-shirt and shorts. lucky locals.

thought I'd give my experiences of traveling abroad in the new world

anyway the most stressful bit of traveling so far  was waiting for the PCR test results my sons needed before flying. it's all a bit just in time. arrived 4:30 (24 hours after) the day before our 8am flight. we used a pod up at windmill hill that courrier tests to the lab.not risking RM (no offense legget)

printed out all our docs. NHS vaccine pdf/PCR test results and Spanish health forms as a backup

Bristol airport at 5:30 Thursday was very quiet . 10 mins max to get through security

Spanish side was even quicker. took much longer to get the hire car keys!

our flight was super quiet, quietest for a while apparently. about 40 people on it! maybe people rescheduled to see where the red list status changes were going.

taking of which, the government is 'urging' people to take a PCR test (rather than lat flow) before flying back. but it's around 50 EUR more and as far as I can tell non mandatory. what are they on?

last doc check was at hotel check-in. they also took out temperature at the door.

worth it? so far, you bet.

to do
  - latv flow test 2 days before return. seem to be readily available/easy
  - day 2 PCR test when home. needed to book this before travel as you need the ref codes for.. got this from Randox via post
  - UK passenger locator form, 48 hours before travel (presume need lat flow test result somewhere)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 12:41:56 »

Due to go on a cruise on Saturday and getting a bit nervous about being tested now. Except for Saturday at Scunny I've done my best to avoid people and we're lat flow testing every single day.

Bit annoying as it's taking all the pre-holiday excitement out of it.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 13:04:02 »

Many thanks all.

Clems Army!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 16:00:53 »

Planning a big kids day out at Alton Towers next Friday. Just looking at the prices and fasttrack for the big 6 is £50 per person which seems very pricy. I'm thinking that given Covid restrictions, crowds are likely to be less than normal so imagine these fasttrack tickets are probably not necessary.

Long shot, but has anyone been recently and able to advise crowds etc?

Haven't been recently (last went Sept 2020), but have been to Alton Towers plenty in recent years. In my opinion fast track isn't worth the cost, I've never needed it. Get there early enough and you'll be able to do 3 or 4 of the big 6 (7 if you include Wicker Man as well) within the first hour or so. Likewise rides are very quiet toward the end of the day.

I don't think they're doing early ride time at the moment, so all rides should open at the same time. Most people will head straight for Wicker Man or The Smiler, so I'd head to Dark Forest and get Rita & Thirteen done then to Forbidden Valley for Nemesis and Galactica.

Biggest tip is don't go during school holidays! I tend to do Sunday/Monday in April and/or September and it's a straight walk on to most rides. When they do have early ride time, you can get in an hour earlier by staying in one of the on-site hotels.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 16:06:10 »

Oh yeah, you can download the Alton Towers app to check queue times too. Worth checking in the days before you go to see what queue times are like at certain times of the day.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: