Payne - 26 (37.7%)
Twine - 0 (0%)
J Grant - 0 (0%)
Pitman - 0 (0%)
Garrick - 7 (10.1%)
Total Voters: 63

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bristol R vs STFC MoM  (Read 6763 times)
Crackity Jones

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 11:48:49 »

I base my judgement on who I feel has made the most positive impact on a game and affected it. As others have said I am not expecting a 10 out of 10 faultless performance.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 12:07:35 »

Quote from: Flashheart
Not once have I ever thought a MOM must have put in a faultless performance, and I'd be surprised if anybody else does. Asides from Bamboo, that is.

quite.

I did point out a mistake to highlight the importance of Odimayo's touch.

But I voted Payne
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 14:19:25 »

Surely the Man of the Match is who you consider to have been the best player in the team over the period of play? Often this season its been who has been 'less bad' than others. You can't pick a player for a faultless performance because even superstars like Messi and Ronaldo don't even have faultless games...

...One thing you can always guarantee about Man of the Match is that the sponsors in the County Ground always seem to pick someone random that gets a grunt of 'what the fuck' when announced!!

Indeed but I think some are taking my comment out of context to fit their own narrative. I did say "...the essence of MoM (is) a faultless performance..." but didn't define it as the only way of picking one. For me everyone starts on 10/10 and as a game goes on that gets chipped away at more or less for each player. You're "essentially" looking for a faultless performance (aka retaining 10/10). If a player were to put in a "faultless performance" then in essence, they would very likely be the MoM.

I like that the conversation is about who should be MoM (or even what is MoM) though, rather than struggling to find one and you're spot on in regards to the Sponsor's MoM. I remember Coxy used to get it a lot even when he hadn't had a particularly good game. Likewise with Ferry but I don't know many who wouldn't want Ferry in the Sponsor's Suite after the match Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 16:48:24 »

Indeed but I think some are taking my comment out of context to fit their own narrative. I did say "...the essence of MoM (is) a faultless performance..." but didn't define it as the only way of picking one. For me everyone starts on 10/10 and as a game goes on that gets chipped away at more or less for each player. You're "essentially" looking for a faultless performance (aka retaining 10/10). If a player were to put in a "faultless performance" then in essence, they would very likely be the MoM.

It could also be that your comment wasn't taken out of context, just that it wasn't explained very well in the first place - you always seem to indicate that everyone (except for Frazer Digby) is ganging up on you, and if that is the case I have missed it.  i must admit that at times I struggle to understand what you are trying to say or the point you are trying to get across in amongst your often (as you yourself admit) long winded and sometimes off tangent posts, not that this was the case in this example.  Maybe it is just me, maybe I am the stupid one here, i am sure it has been said in the past and I am not beyond denying that this could be the case now.  You are obviously an intelligent guy Bamboo, but i certainly don't think i am a fool.

That's the second time you have intimated indirectly that I have taken your comment out of context to fit my narrative - I can reassure you that I don't have a narrative to fit, I have my own point of view and opinions on all things STFC and football, but that is where it ends - however I do realise that this is the case for all of us fans and can happily accept that other opinions will not match my own, and I am comfortable with that.

I am not going to get into a backwards and forward on this as i don't have the time (or energy) that I know this typically takes - i just wanted to put my point across.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 17:12:23 »

I like that the conversation is about who should be MoM (or even what is MoM) though, rather than struggling to find one and you're spot on in regards to the Sponsor's MoM. I remember Coxy used to get it a lot even when he hadn't had a particularly good game. Likewise with Ferry but I don't know many who wouldn't want Ferry in the Sponsor's Suite after the match Smiley

So by that logic someone say playing in a tippy tappy midfield who didn't misplace a pass,  kick the ball out or give away a foul, but had a quiet game would win man of the match. Yet someone who conceded loads of free, kicks, got booked, gave the ball away yet scored the winner wouldn't? Odd logic

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 17:24:24 »

Blimey, and I thought Line Of Duty stretched a very thin plot over far too many episodes...  Suicide

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 17:54:44 »

lets be honest there is zero qualifying criteria for a mom. its an individuals choice and we all see things differently as seen every week in threads. Odimayo didn't put a foot wrong the whole match for me but he didnt make my choice. there is also varying standards of players, thompson put in an incredible left back display against ipswich and had everything on Iandolos performance last night but in the circumstances and on his recent return to the side that was one of the best I have seen Iandolo play.

anyway the majority of goalscorers win these awards as they do the whole way to the top with the ballon d'or.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 18:07:22 »

I think maybe we should void this one and do a re-vote? Some of you have been basing your decisions on incorrect criteria and so aren't as valid as what I think.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 18:22:00 »

Like all those who voted Iandolo, how does it compare to if he wasn't moved away from not playing left back?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 18:23:47 »

I think maybe we should void this one and do a re-vote? Some of you have been basing your decisions on incorrect criteria and so aren't as valid as what I think.

Can we replace it with a 10 page survey including a series of well defined criteria and performance metrics that need to be input?  The tricky bit here is going to be the weighting criteria for different positions on the pitch - does a save in the bottom right corner equal the same as 40 yard pass to feet?
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 18:41:09 »

Can we replace it with a 10 page survey including a series of well defined criteria and performance metrics that need to be input?  The tricky bit here is going to be the weighting criteria for different positions on the pitch - does a save in the bottom right corner equal the same as 40 yard pass to feet?

Just because a player didn't get a chance to do something in a game is it their fault that the opportunity never came up? Shouldn't we judge a player on what they could have potentially achieved?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 18:55:33 »

What would a player get, rating wise, if they simply went and sat on the halfway line by a sideline, avoiding any touches or influence in the game?
Flashheart

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 19:02:04 »

What would a player get, rating wise, if they simply went and sat on the halfway line by a sideline, avoiding any touches or influence in the game?

That would surely depend on how faultlessly they were sitting.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 19:17:05 »

Look back at how many points Anton Rodgers used to get rated on a matchday.....

Yes I am aware we didn't have MotM votes then Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 20:08:38 »

It would be satisfying if MoM votes provided an effective ranking of how our squad is rated, but lots of factors skew that. The bottom of the TEF MoM table is full of cameo players, unremarkable or underwhelming performers, though the more games played, the more it says about their influence. So from the bottom up, the following players have averaged less than one MoM vote per game:

Parsons     0.00 from 2 apps
Omotoye   0.17 from 6 apps
Stevens     0.38 from 16 apps
Hunt         0.47 from 19 apps
Baudry      0.69 from 16 apps
T Smith     0.88 from 17 apps

I'd say only Tyler can feel hard done by from that. For comparison, Curran is on 3.89 votes per game (piss-takers and Mrs Curran, I'm looking at you now), and Kovar on 2.79.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: