Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Family tree  (Read 6494 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 11:40:20 »

I only traced back to the 1830's on the male line, because great- grandmother was from Germany and two generations did not marry, making it a bit of a jumble to sort out. Male side were hawkers and shopkeepers, very boring.

I think the one benefit of ancestry.com is that it allows you to link to all manner of other peoples research where your families overlap, I think that's the main way my old man got back so far, £70 for 6 months access is just a bit too much for me at the moment.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 11:44:55 »

Ancestry do a free 14 day trial. I did that and traced back both sides of my family to around 1600. Haven't done a DNA test though
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 11:53:01 »

Are you the original chalkies shorts who posted on here before?
Yep, who the fuck would want to pretend to be me?
I've traced my lot back to early / mid 1800's. Irish records are a bit patchy but genealogy.ie is a brilliant site. My dads side basically stayed in Meenganaire near Castleisland in Kerry. My mums lot either stayed in Gortglass near Castleisalnd or fucked off to America. They did like to all shag each other, its a miracle I haven't got 6 fingers. Its fair to say its a very Republican background 
I've got some of my wifes lot back to 1700s using parish records. She has a streak of scummery with some ancestors based in Cowley, Just found one of her great grandfathers x4 was deported to Australia for 15 years.
I've used Ancestry and whereas being able to view other people's trees can be good, some people just put any old shit down.
Its definitely keeping me occupied while I can do fuck all little else.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 11:56:39 »

Good to see you back
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 12:00:39 »

I got back to the 1500s on the paternal side thanks to Ancestry, parish records and my family living in the same area for hundreds of years.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 13:02:20 »

I'm Stick Man, I'm Stick Man, I'm Stick Man, that's me. And I want to go back to the family tree.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 13:06:24 »

Anyway, my gran used to do this before she died and tracked down relatives in Canada, which was fairly intreseting (surname was 'Skull', which is pretty bad ass). My aunt has since picked up the mantle. I've always wanted to find out more but have never invested serious time, although the website below popped up when I was researching my paternal great-grandfather (Alan Gosnell, third down) for a bit about the Home Guard in WWII.

http://www.ocotilloroad.com/geneal/gosnell1.html

My maternal great-grandfather was a flautist in the IRA band, so that's something.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 15:04:00 »

Anyway, my gran used to do this before she died and tracked down relatives in Canada, which was fairly intreseting (surname was 'Skull', which is pretty bad ass).

My missus has some Skulls in her tree, not sure if they are the Irish side of her wider family or the lot from Wiltshire. 
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, February 11, 2021, 15:06:51 »

Yep, who the fuck would want to pretend to be me?

Glad you're back, Chalkies.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, February 12, 2021, 12:23:45 »

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, December 10, 2021, 09:27:05 »

My old man has got ours back to the 1500's and we are the most boring buggers ever, I imagine if I did a DNA test it would be limited to a breakdown of Berkshire, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, not sure any of my relatives back in history wandered much beyond that.

So me and the missus finally bought each other one of these for Christmas (when they were cheap on black Friday) and whilst I haven't had mine back my missus has and oh my god!

She is basically 50% England/North western Europe 28% Irish (which we already knew) but there is a big lump of Germanic in there and no Scandinavian which rather dispels the family myth that they were descended from Vikings.

As she is not well and off work at the moment she has gone a bit crazy on her tree of Ancestry, turns out the Yorkshire lass who has always accused me of being posh for being from down south, when you get into the 1600's has all manner of Lords and sodding Lady's popping up from various families in Lincolnshire (they do seem to love a bit of inbreeding which makes following it difficult) and is possibly distantly related to Walt Disney!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #26 on: Friday, December 10, 2021, 10:37:34 »

Ancestry keep updating their ethnicity formula as more people take the test and often it can change dramatically from where it currently appears.

About 2 months ago Ancestry updated all their ethrnicity databases and now I appear to be....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, December 10, 2021, 10:42:57 »

So you like sheep 28% more now...  baaaad news..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #28 on: Friday, December 10, 2021, 10:51:20 »

So you like sheep 28% more now...  baaaad news..
I like mint sauce is that any good?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, December 10, 2021, 11:19:53 »

Before they updated their DNA I was 96% Irish, 2% Scottish and 2% Welsh. Now I'm 100% bogwog.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: