Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Family tree  (Read 6497 times)
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, December 10, 2021, 12:19:39 »

Best we could manage was Emily Marks (grand daughter of Marks of Marks and Spencers fame); village of Walkington in Yorkshire is named after family on mum's side; Hartley's jam founder; and Harland of Harland and Wolff fame. Oh, and some tenuous link to the Duke of Northumberland!

Cats are better than dogs FACT
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 10:16:08 »

The results are in and fuck I am apparently 27% Scottish which is interesting as I am not aware of any Scottish ancestry on either side of the family.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 10:40:47 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman
I like mint sauce is that any good?

you should probably stick to ky jelly
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 10:49:30 »

Don't you mean redcurrant jelly?  Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 10:50:05 »

Don't you mean redcurrant jelly?  Smiley
Kinky.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 12:44:00 »

I saw a tweet this morning which made me chuckle..  somebody tweeted, I just paid £75 to find out this..  and posted a picture of their result - which showed 100% European, 100% English/Irish.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 13:16:29 »

Tempted by this, but strongly suspect I'd find multiple generations of West Country Peasants.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 14:01:04 »

I saw a tweet this morning which made me chuckle..  somebody tweeted, I just paid £75 to find out this..  and posted a picture of their result - which showed 100% European, 100% English/Irish.
I had that with my first DNA test, but I was 100% German! with Ancestry I have 0% German ethnicity.

That was with MyHeritage DNA testing, I complained and never got my money back as they said there was too broad a database for european so the results would be broadly similar! sounds like bullshit, I would suggest that people avoid that one based on mine and a friends DNA test which came back similar.

Ancestry seem to have the broadest DNA database.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 14:11:15 »

Tempted by this, but strongly suspect I'd find multiple generations of West Country Peasants.

I was expecting that and my 66%+ British north European seems to be centred (As expected) on Berks/Wilts/Glos/Oxon, but there is some unexpected Cornwall there.

As noted earlier the shocker is the 27% Scottish as no idea where that comes from and no welsh which surprised me as our surname does possibly have welsh origins (albeit it also has Oxfordshire origins so perhaps we are that wing!)

Also have links to settlers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania!
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 16:21:08 »

Ancestry do a free 14 day trial. I did that and traced back both sides of my family to around 1600. Haven't done a DNA test though

Did this too, it was really good.

With the DNA test things it's worth looking at the details of the companies that are offering the analysis; some use much more specific individual tracing than others. I've not had one but would be really interested.

Anyone feel a little uneasy about a private company gaining some detailed scientific information on you from one of these tests? Many write into their smallprint that they will never use it for anything else or sell it on. Others don't mention that.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 16:38:52 »

Your roots in Wiltshire Goaty?  Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 17:03:52 »

Its interesting, but has anyone managed to back up the results with good old fashioned research?

I don't know if they are accurate or DNA horoscope
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 20:06:48 »

Did this too, it was really good.

With the DNA test things it's worth looking at the details of the companies that are offering the analysis; some use much more specific individual tracing than others. I've not had one but would be really interested.

Anyone feel a little uneasy about a private company gaining some detailed scientific information on you from one of these tests? Many write into their smallprint that they will never use it for anything else or sell it on. Others don't mention that.

Hell yeah. I don’t trust anyone. FFS even the government cannot keep a 100% lid on its IT systems, commercial enterprises are fucking worse.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 20:15:20 »

Its interesting, but has anyone managed to back up the results with good old fashioned research?

I don't know if they are accurate or DNA horoscope
I have batch and theyre absolutely spot on. I've been contacted by relatives based on the DNA results and contacted others. I've gone through the DNA results and they have been brilliant in building my tree.
No skeletons although there is a 2nd cousin we don't quite understand in New York. I'm working with another cousin in Illinois to work it out.
I was very sceptical but as usual was wrong.
I'm going to plough through my wife's DNA results soon but they look pretty spot on also
Peter Venkman

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 09:56:42 »

Pretty sure the whole family tree thing rather than DNA testing has been done previously on here, I will look for the thread and merge them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: