Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The TEF Player Of The Year Virtual Awards Ceremony  (Read 3182 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 11:32:34 »

So, after documenting 49 Town games this season (I missed the first two Charlton and WBA cup matches), here are the key numbers, building up to the big finale:

A total of 2151 votes were cast, the highest turnout being 84 vs Oxford away, the lowest 23 for the debacle at Wimbledon.

39 players pulled on a Town shirt this year, which must be close to a record, and undoubtedly the first time the squad has given the shop more business than the fanbase.

Only one player failed to trouble the scorers, the marginal Harry Parsons from his two sub appearances, followed by the equally peripheral Haines (1 from 1 sub) and Matthews (2 from 1 start). No shame there.

More telling is the list of players with the lowest number of MoM votes from at least 10 apps. Unheralded grafters, or consistent underwhelmers? You decide. From the bottom up, I'm looking at you Messrs:
  • Stevens (0.38 votes from 16 apps)
  • Hunt (0.62 from 21)
  • Palmer (1.04 from 25)
  • J Grant (1.17 from 23)
  • Baudry (1.18 from 17)
*For those left wondering, Taylor Curran polled a respectable average 3.83 votes from his 12 apps. (Only 12? It seemed like more.)

So now we move onto Town's big star performers for 20-21. There are several ways of cutting this:

The highest percentage of the popular vote in any single game tells one story:
  • 82% for Lee Camp in the 3-0 defeat at Peterborough
  • just edging in ahead of 81% for Tom Broadbent on his day in the sun at the Kassam
  • and 80% for Mark Travers in the 1-0 defeat at Hull

The most votes for an individual performance, admittedly skewed by the record attendance, also goes to:
  • Broadbent at the Fence End, with 68

But in the end, it's a marathon not a sprint, so three measures reward some sort of consistency across the season:

Most MoM awards in the season:
  • Matt Smith (6 from 25 appearances)
  • Lee Camp (5 from 11)
  • Scott Twine (4 from 25)

Most MoM votes gained throughout the season:
  • Jack Payne (177 from 44 appearances)
  • Matt Smith (167 from 25)
  • A Grant (129 from 35)

Highest average votes per appearance (min. 10 apps):
  • Lee Camp (8.82 average votes from 11 appearances)
  • Matt Smith (6.68 from 25)
  • Tom Broadbent (6.58 from 19)

All of which leads me to the conclusion that, as returning officer, I declare the TEF Player Of The Year 2020-21, is:

Matt Smith         BeersClapBandFrench            Reg > No

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 11:37:34 »

Curran's result feels like how in the London Mayoral elections, spoiled ballots beat all but three of the candidates, including the Lib Dems.

Thanks for tallying all these up, hopefully next season it's a bit less of a tallest gnome competition.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 11:55:24 »

Matt Smith was my vote for Player of the season anyway - by far our stand out player in the first half of the season, and nobody surpassed his level of performance in the second half of the season - so it was a no brainer for me.

Just underlines the shambles of a management team and owner that allowed him to leave - but I am sure it had something to do with £

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 11:59:44 »

I had almost forgotten about Matt Smith! He looked a class act for us early on and even in Jurassic times stood out. Its a real shame how it ended, especially as he couldn't even get into Charlton's first team squad in the end!

I suspect his next loan spell will be at least Lg1/Championship.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 12:05:18 »

Matt Smith wins by a Country mile.  The fact we couldn't get the best from him was one of the early warning signs that Sheridan was a busted flush.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 12:08:12 »

Tbh, most of those Curran votes were from the same few posters attempting to be funny/clever. I think we know who.
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 12:14:43 »

Matt Smith - easily.

Class player. Would love to see him back, but I know that's rather unlikely.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 12:15:30 »

Oh and good work Mr Frog.  Little Jack Payne popping two fingers up at me. He certainly put the effort in, another player who I think Wellens could have extracted something from over time.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 12:36:16 »

Top work RF, thanks for doing this.

Matt Smith easily PotY for me.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 12:39:50 »

Good work. Matt Smith for me even though his performances got Sheridaned towards the end. His weaker performances were miles in front of his team mates best performances.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 12:43:25 »

No voting option?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: