Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Filler job?  (Read 2243 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 23:20:35 »

Hopefully the attachments have worked that show what I’m talking about. Have become a dab hand at the Polyfilla around the house lately, filling any hole I can find. I stuck this ‘lip’ thing down the other day, that is where an old exterior door used to be and is now the doorway from dining room to kitchen. Now I’ve got this ugly three quarters of a cm gap between the two flooring types. If I mix in some grey paint and fill right across I think it would look pretty good? Or is there a better way? I’m a DIY novice. Thanks for any help.

* 0A8C22B2-4A42-4E89-BB8E-C069E9F43D9B.jpeg (25.56 KB, 320x240 - viewed 290 times.)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 00:13:40 »

Hopefully the attachments have worked that show what I’m talking about. Have become a dab hand at the Polyfilla around the house lately, filling any hole I can find. I stuck this ‘lip’ thing down the other day, that is where an old exterior door used to be and is now the doorway from dining room to kitchen. Now I’ve got this ugly three quarters of a cm gap between the two flooring types. If I mix in some grey paint and fill right across I think it would look pretty good? Or is there a better way? I’m a DIY novice. Thanks for any help.

From what I can assertion, if you measure underneath what appears to be a silver/grey threshold at say every 5cm you could get a thin piece timber to paint by going to a small joinery company with the picture and measurement or best ask around for any of your mates or family for a competent chippy to whittle down a piece to cover that small gap all the way across. Failing that a double glazing company have PVCu strips that are used for edging which will be easily trimmed with a sharp Stanley knife blade. Lastly places like Ron’s Stores do wooden wouldings which could be either tacked or glued in place and painted.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 00:46:57 »

Have a look at B&Q decorative mouldings. You can grip fill them down.
The easiest to do and will look the best too.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 16:05:46 by 4D » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 05:46:26 »

The gap looks too big to just use filler or caulk. Some kind of moulding as suggested would probably be the easiest fix.

That looks like a wooden floor? Whatever you end up using to cover the gap, I'd use a flexible adhesive to stick it down to account for the inevitable movement.
Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 07:48:25 »

Depends what kind of look you’re going for as we had (still have) similar.

I purchased some aluminium strips which I’ll eventually get round to fixing over these gaps held down with counter sunk screws, maybe bolts, into the gap. Essentially a quite brutal threshold spanning thing.

And if you like polyfilla, get yourself some easifill, it’s so much better. I think our house is now held together with the stuff we’ve used so much.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 15:58:54 »

If it was me I'd use expanding foam to fill the gap. Then cut that back when dried and put the filler over the top and smooth off to finish. Then can paint as desired.

Edit. Having had a closer look it might be worth using some flexible filler to allow for floor movement.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 16:38:12 by Arriba » Logged
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 17:31:09 »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Will look at some mouldings then go from there.

Barry is this the Easy Fill stuff you mean?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASYFILL-U-POL-2-PART-FILLER-INTERIOR-AND-EXTERIOR-CFEASY-1-1-1-LTR/283833976474?epid=19037277671&hash=item4215d2c69a:g:lYUAAOSwsIpdXqaL
Barry Scott

« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 19:54:59 »

No, this. When we had to have pipes ripped out and refitted in a freshly plastered wall, I spoke to the plasterer and he told me to get this instead of his services.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Gyproc-Easi-Fill-20-Compound---5kg/p/141939
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: