Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Phone Thread  (Read 15755 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 12:29:02 »

No you don't need all the bells and whistles but if you go uber cheap (100 quid or less) you may find they quite struggle to run even basic Android if they're underspecced, esp on CPU or memory (as opposed to storage) and that you might struggle to install more than a few apps if they've skimped on the storage.

^^^^ This

The only reason I am upgrading now is the phone I have is full to the Sally Gunnells meaning that if I ever want to install a new app I have to remove another one first (and I have fuck all on there). Had my fingers burnt previously when I bought a phone which turned out to be a model which was already about 2 years old so after about 6 months it was struggling to do anything.

Anyway ordered now so we can close the thread! 
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 12:35:48 »

Apologies - wasn't advocating the cheapest posssible phone (the old adage you get what you pay for rings true at the cheap end with any tech purchase).  Cheapest decent phone was what I meant (eg A12vA21s) - is the performance difference that great it will have an impact on a "normal user"? Thats the choice I guess. 

For the life of me why someone would spend a grand on the latest Iphone or whatever is a mystery to me

No one kills a thread like me....
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 17:15:39 »

For the life of me why someone would spend a grand on the latest Iphone or whatever is a mystery to me

It really should depend on what you will be using it for and it is all relative. Even at the top end, comparing performance/specs/memory etc should still be a priority regardless of the usage. As many know, often the latest iPhones aren't a good match with models in the same range but they have such a good marketing strategy/brand loyalty that people will buy/upgrade with them without even thinking if they are getting anything better/VFM.

The same applies when buying cameras RE: Brand loyalty. Sometimes it comes down to familiarity or purely just "what you like". Horlock here is a prime example as he has stayed with Samsung. It's no bad thing of course and whatever works for him (and price) is ultimately the defining factor Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 14:24:29 »

Bumping this as I'm after a new phone. My OnePlus 6t is past it now and it's time I replaced it. I've had it nearly three years which is extraordinary considering my penchant for new shiny things.

I used to be well up on the latest Android stuff but haven't a clue what's good or not any more.

Any suggestions? Camera is probably the most important thing for me.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 14:28:01 »

I've got a Pixel 4a and it's pretty tidy. Bit cheaper than the full version (think they're up to 6? now, but without a budget version) but has an excellent camera.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 14:28:56 »

The 6 has just been announced and available for pre-order. Specs look good but it's fucking ugly.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 09:23:05 »

Nokia are good again and very cheap.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 19:52:03 »

I've ordered a Pixel 6 Pro. Watched a lot of YouTube reviews yesterday and the amazing camera swung it for me.

Plus there's a free pair of Bose 700s.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 23:54:30 »

Of what is out there, they are all getting very close in terms of specs imo.

Mine is not due for upgrade but was contacted to say I can upgrade early and they'll pay the rest of the contract (6 months worth).

Been having a look as I do enjoy a decent camera on my phone too (I've been pretty impressed and modern phones now handle low light even better than a lot of DSLRs).

If you love OnePlus/Oppo then go for the OnePlus 9 Pro - it'll bring familiarity and an all round upgrade to everything you already know about that UI.

~

The Pixel 6 Pro is probably worth it just for the Android 12 with some cute new additions. Small pointer is if you want/need 256gb internal then you'll have to opt for the Stormy Black option. All the rest are 128gb even if they bring some interesting and stand out colour schemes. For me the Black gives a more pro look rather than any of the pastel ones.
~~~

Xiaomi 11T Pro is another one and launched earlier this month I think. Other than it being on Android 11 still, it offers many similar features to the supposedly better and slightly newer Pixel Pro above. It uses the same AMOLED tech and boast more colours than the Pixel Pro. It matches the Pixel Pro 6 for RAM and internal memory too.

In terms of camera, it's interesting; the 11T Pro boasts a triple 100MP camera down to f/1.8 (great for low light) which betters the Pixel Pro 6 by double in terms of MP but there is likely to be a lot of pixel binning going on so the 100MP is probably really about 12MP. Still good if you need to print huge images or making some massive crops.

Battery is impressive but not because of the 5000mAh (same as Pixel Pro 6), more that it has a whacking 120W Super Super Fast charge. It'll have your battery back to 100% in just over 15mins. Surely one of the fastest on the market. The Pixel Pro 6 (similarly to the Samsung 21 Ultra) only has 30W, meaning a full charge will take around an hour. This again could be vital for those on the go, commuting and work etc.

~~~

Enough about the Xiaomi, next up is the pretty impressive Sony Xperia 1iii. There's plenty in the spec sheet that matches with some of the above. Whilst Sony won't be popular for many because it isn't a Galaxy or an iPhone it might be worth a look. There is also the recently announced Xperia Pro-I but that's not available until December. Personally I may wait as there could be a little more in the tank. The only thing that really lets the X1iii down is 30w charger speed but hey, it's on a par with Samsung in that capacity and you do actually get a charger in the box (unlike Samsung).

The big plus for most is having the additional storage via a microSD/SDXC, as well as already matching several competitors with 512gb internal memory and I think...a 12gb RAM too (happy to be corrected).

~~~

My own overview here Samdy is that if I could get the Sony X1iii/Pro-I with 5000mAH and 60w battery charger, then that'll be me sorted. We can't always have everything we want so the Xiaomi might get a trial. For yourself, similarly to as I started - if you like OnePlus then the 9 Pro is probably your go to new device.

Hope these options give you something to mull over and of course, feel free to opt for the obvious choices in Samsung/Apple or even Huawei but thought I would concentrate on some alternative options that are available in the market. If only you could get a Vivo X70 Pro+ in the UK (on contract) because that is quite possibly an absolute beast for low light photography (from a smartphone) and just you get more in the box as standard too. Worth checking out of buying outright.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, October 30, 2021, 12:21:25 »

Did you miss the bit where is said I ordered a Pixel 6 Pro? Smiley

Happy being back on stock Android again and the new Pixel features are good. Call screening should be available in the UK now but not available on my phone yet.

The camera is incredible and the 4x telephoto is one of the reasons I opted for the Pro instead of the regular 6. Some of the stuff Google do with their photo software is brilliant and really lessens the need to carry a DSLR as you say.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #25 on: Monday, November 22, 2021, 17:25:31 »

Did you miss the bit where is said I ordered a Pixel 6 Pro? Smiley

Happy being back on stock Android again and the new Pixel features are good. Call screening should be available in the UK now but not available on my phone yet.

The camera is incredible and the 4x telephoto is one of the reasons I opted for the Pro instead of the regular 6. Some of the stuff Google do with their photo software is brilliant and really lessens the need to carry a DSLR as you say.
how are you getting on with the Pixel 6 Pro. I am after a new phone and have narrowed down to this, the One Plus 9 Pro or Samsung S21 Ultra.  I like the sound of the Google but am concerned about the slow charging and battery life.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 05:56:22 »

Battery life isn't an issue, it'll easily go more than a day on a full charge. The charging speed is not an issue, it'll charge to 50% very quickly which is enough in most cases.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, November 28, 2021, 11:29:41 »

Anybody get away with using no more than 6gb of data per month daily browsing?

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, November 29, 2021, 15:28:56 »

Anybody get away with using no more than 6gb of data per month daily browsing?
Yes - I never use my 2gb. I also ration my family - The grown up kids often ask for a 2gb top up during the month.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 29, 2021, 16:05:51 »

Yes - I never use my 2gb. I also ration my family - The grown up kids often ask for a 2gb top up during the month.

Cheers Norman is that with having your phone on all day and internet browsing

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: