Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The TEF Top 100 STFC Players - Results  (Read 7599 times)
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #30 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 06:51:45 »

Thanks Nemo this was brilliant. Really enjoyed reading
normy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 07:24:10 »

Excellent work Nemo.  Well done.

ust be the oldest
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 11:36:48 »

Thank you, Nemo.  I was also impressed by your brief pen portraits of the top 100.

Your lists have brought real pleasure to what otherwise would have been a dour 2020 STFC Xmas.  

Also, as an older Town Fan who picked a majority of his 40 from before the turn of century, it brought a fascinating perspective on who are the newer heroes for the "average" Town fan of today.

I can see that (the Don aside  Wink) these newer heroes are in no way inferior to my own picks.  Fair play to more progressive oldies but it made me wonder if, like rock stars, there may be a tendency to see the heroes of one's own youth through rose tinted spectacles.

What a fantastic top 100 we all share.

« Last Edit: Friday, January 1, 2021, 11:40:49 by RedRag » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 13:30:35 »

I'd like to say thank you too Nemo.

As others have stated above, this was a nice distraction from the banality of life and Swindon Town football news and performances of late.

I appreciate the work that you put into it. While it did give me raised eyebrows at the order of some of the players, I did enjoy reading each of your pen pictures. With some, I found myself scouring the internet looking for footage of some of my former heroes to relive some of the former glories. A great way to while away a bit of down time.

Thank you.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 14:10:30 »

I'd like to say thank you too Nemo.

As others have stated above, this was a nice distraction from the banality of life and Swindon Town football news and performances of late.

I appreciate the work that you put into it. While it did give me raised eyebrows at the order of some of the players, I did enjoy reading each of your pen pictures. With some, I found myself scouring the internet looking for footage of some of my former heroes to relive some of the former glories. A great way to while away a bit of down time.

Thank you.

Same here and although I never see the Don play for Town I can remember how good he was for Crystal Palace and the only winger that come close to his dazzling displays is David Moss

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 16:12:09 »

Cheers folks. Very enjoyable to do - only a couple in the whole 100 I disagreed with, so not too bad all in. Order at the top end was always going to reflect the age profile of the voters more than anything else - but my thought at least was that if I voted for the '69 team (being born many years afterwards) then I'd need to vote for Harold Fleming and Harry Morris and the pre-war stars.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 16:18:21 »

Not a thankless task, as alluded to in my DM and subsequent submitted list of I think 30. Good to see several of mine feature.

Did expect Hoddle to top the list over Austin though. My own reasoning was had Austin scored (woulda could a shoulda) we may well have been playing in a higher level with him. No doubt about his scoring ability though. Just felt GH was much more an orchestrator in the pinacle of Town's success. Maybe some still feel a little sour that he left us on a high?  Hmmm

Great list all the same and thanks for compiling it Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 16:24:15 »

Austin and Hoddle felt "right" for a Town list because they were a short burst of success that ended badly/disappointingly. Whilst someone like Calderwood was a better servant than either, short bursts of success followed by calamity is pretty much our thing.
Hunk

« Reply #38 on: Friday, January 1, 2021, 18:44:53 »

Wish I could have find the time to contribute.

Really enjoyed reading the list though and appreciate the tonne of effort that went into it. Cracking job, well done.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: