Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 224284 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1365 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 17:02:10 »

There can't be any worms out there feeding them any snippets!

So, give no fucks
Flashheart

« Reply #1366 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 17:22:48 »

There can't be any snippets to give.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1367 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 17:31:24 »

All someone has to do is tweet Alan Nixon with something like "Any manager news on Stalybridge Celtic Al?"

Which will then come with a raft of further random responses...

Any news of new Rotherham coach big al
"             " on Doyle at Bolton, rumour is he's off?
News of the Jambo's Alan?
Swindon manager, who's it gonna be Al?

And so on.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1368 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 17:44:13 »

There's always a snippet or two but whether it's true is another matter!

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1369 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 17:45:47 »

Under normal circumstances and the club being ‘normal’, I’d fancy a Young first timer. Maybe one from non league - Ian Culverhouse at Kings Lynn.
I know its horses for courses and he may have taken them as far as he can but they have just had 2 wins in 16 matches scoring just 16 times and conceding 38 is a worse record than Sheridan had for us.

Its a no from me for Culverhouse.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1370 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 17:47:25 »

I know its horses for courses and he may have taken them as far as he can but they have just had 2 wins in 16 matches scoring just 16 times and conceding 38 is a worse record than Sheridan had for us.

Agreed.

If we're going for a NL manager, I want one on their way up; which is why I keep banging on about Dave Challinor.

'Incessant Nonsense'

ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #1371 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 18:25:48 »

Back to calling him Dave now I see Wink

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1372 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 18:31:40 »

Back to calling him Dave now I see Wink

'My name's Rodney!'
'Ok..Dave.'

'Incessant Nonsense'

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1373 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 18:38:31 »

Let's just hope it's not Sheedy & Newell being lined up

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1374 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 19:24:52 »

Maybe Joe Cole is thick...but...I’d suggest he knows a thing or two about football.
He was a top, top player at the top, top level and quite frankly his contribution to a dominant Chelsea team doesn’t get recognised near enough as it should
Doesn't mean he can coach though. Being able to do it yourself is one thing; being able to convey it to others is quite another.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1375 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 19:25:55 »

Doesn’t usually stop the bookies compiling stuff least a ‘usual suspects’ list.
Disappointed no-one's had a sneeky tenner on Sheena Easton to get the market kick started
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1376 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 20:13:40 »

Doesn't mean he can coach though. Being able to do it yourself is one thing; being able to convey it to others is quite another.

Yep. Of this modern era of former top pros getting decentish managerial gigs...

Harry Kewell - Champions League winner (amongst others) and integral to a Liverpool MF that won it. Evidently struggling to make it as a successful manager.

Steven Gerard - As above and some. Hasn't really been tested in a piece of piss gig at Rangers. The hard work will come either next season retaining the title or more so, at an English Club where competition is more difficult. Flatters him at present and he prob will be one who comes good in time but the job at present is only really a L1 challenge.

Frank Lampard - Despite some "success" at Derby, where literally everything was thrown at it and FL had as much support as any manager would love to get, as well as a very good backroom team, he ultimately didn't promote them and jumped ship as soon as Chelski came calling. Was always going to be too early a move and I think the Chelski job would always have been available to him. Maybe should have stuck it out with Derby and actually got some silverware/title with them. I like Lampard and I think he'll also come good but right now, it shows how jumping for the big jobs maybe require a little more patience and calculation (talking pure career success and not financially).

Wayne Rooney - Ok, he's kind of fallen into the role at Derby as a form of interim/temp manager and fair play for him taking the reigns as Derby yet again fail to impress and this season disastrously so. Eventually even the multi millionaires like King start to get fed up and want to sell up. WR probably won't keep the job but if he keeps them up with his very limited experience it might be something to note in copy book. I don't rate him but Derby escaping relegation is a must. Many big clubs know how difficult it is to get out of L1 no matter your history (Leeds, Leicester, Wolves, Southampton, Sheff Wed (again) I'm looking at you), so I'll doff my cap slightly if he "saves" them. On a personal note, I want them to totally fuck it up on the final day.

That's just four decent former pros all with slightly different avenues into management. One might say that maybe it shows a successful former player should start their management career lower down the pyramid. At L1 or L2. Regardless of who they are. If they fancy a cushy number as an under 16s coach or as a TV pundit then fine but I doubt their personal hunger for success will be satisfied, nor will their ego. I don't think money comes into it too much at this stage (it talks but it isn't key for them), they want another trophy, title. They in the words of The Stone Roses - Wanna be adored.

Maybe Gerrard has done a clever move at Rangers? He gets similar levels of adoration and press as the likes of Rooney and Lampard but is technically managing an "easier club" than both (clearly Kewell just is a bit shit at it) of them. Yes, there is pressure and we all know the rivalry between Scotland's tow largest clubs but that is stark when the rest of the competition, bar a few is about the same level as L2 or even Conference. Should at a minimum be getting league RU and a Cup win or two, every season. For me it will be interesting if he takes a Championship gig after Rangers. A team like Stoke and get them back into the EPL. It will seem like a step back but as mentioned above, his challenge will be much greater and prove himself more. I'm sure he could fill it with a few of his old mates to achieve it. Milner eventually dropping down a division. Probably have Sami Hyypia on his backroom team and so on. Then when the time is right, give him a crack at the Liverpool job if he's continued his progress.

But bringing it back to the relevance of Town and the STFC job. Maybe there is an outlet for a former successful pro to come here and give it a go. If it fails, it's no biggy for them, especially if it's their first job and as the likes of Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, even PdC have found out, those cushy safety nets of punditry are always knocking around of it does go tits up - or if they just happen to be a bit shit of being a manager.

'Incessant Nonsense'

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1377 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 21:46:11 »

Wasn’t he suspended and then sacked from Villa for some kind of off-field issues and allegations of bullying? I don’t think he’s what we need either.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1378 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 05:25:05 »

Quite.

He also might be quite good at it...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1379 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 08:20:09 »

If we are looking at National League managers look no further than Luke Garrard, done well at Boreham Wood, reputation for playing nice attractive football and also ticks the former player box!
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: