Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225004 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 09:29:33 »

At a quick glance I can see your list has David Tuttle (?) and mine does not.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 09:30:04 »

Don't remember David Tuttle at all!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 09:31:39 »

Just Wiki’d him. Was youth team manager, caretaker manager for 24 hours! He can’t count if he never actually managed a single game! Still more successful than Sheridactyl, though!

Again, Tony Galvin is only down as being Ossie’s assistant before following him to Newcastle. No mention of even being caretaker.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 09:42:49 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1308 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 09:42:42 »

It is staggering the change at STFC. Is it any wonder we are stuck in the depths of Div 4 all the time? Stability off and on the pitch is going to be the key to try and move us forwards. We need the court case and ownership sorted and then surely to goodness we can put something a bit more concrete in the managers dugout?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 09:43:44 »

Should have put something concrete on Power’s feet, followed by a stroll by the Kennet and Avon.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 09:49:52 »

It is staggering the change at STFC. Is it any wonder we are stuck in the depths of Div 4 all the time? Stability off and on the pitch is going to be the key to try and move us forwards. We need the court case and ownership sorted and then surely to goodness we can put something a bit more concrete in the managers dugout?

Cannot be arsed to look, but I suspect you would see similar figures are turnover at the majority of Lg3 & 4 clubs.
Should have put something concrete on Power’s feet, followed by a stroll by the Kennet and Avon.

Wouldn't achieve much, its a common misconception how deep canals are, when I worked at BW the advice given was if you ever fall in a canal the best way to save yourself is just stand up as they tend to only be a few feet deep (unless its a lock obviously!) 
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 10:37:20 »

Cannot be arsed to look, but I suspect you would see similar figures are turnover at the majority of Lg3 & 4 clubs.

same, but you are probably right.

The 3 clubs that immediately spring to mind that I would say are punching above their weight and have a bit of stability are Wycombe, Accrington and Crewe. In recent years they have tended to stick to their managers and have reaped the rewards. Of course this isn't always the case but under Wellens we were beginning to go in the right direction. Sadly the rug was pulled from that particular journey.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 10:49:21 »

I would also add Cheltenham to that list

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 11:08:37 »

Wouldn't achieve much, its a common misconception how deep canals are, when I worked at BW the advice given was if you ever fall in a canal the best way to save yourself is just stand up as they tend to only be a few feet deep (unless its a lock obviously!) 
Anyone else slightly concerned that horlock has apparently researched favoured gangland execution methods? *makes note to be much more polite to horlock in future*
Flashheart

« Reply #1314 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 11:30:04 »

Anyone else slightly concerned that horlock has apparently researched favoured gangland execution methods? *makes note to be much more polite to horlock in future*

Should we be concerned?

Or should we be grateful we have access to somebody with such knowledge?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1315 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 11:37:44 »

Horlock aka "Pliers" or Horlock the Hammer  Smiley
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 11:42:58 by 4D » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 11:43:55 »

I could also tell you a very good way of entirely disposing of a body....
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 11:55:18 »

Got a pig?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 12:04:10 »

I got a pygmy pig today. He's cool as fuck.

Horlock and Flashheart "Waste Management" Services

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: Thursday, April 29, 2021, 12:17:24 »

It is staggering the change at STFC. Is it any wonder we are stuck in the depths of Div 4 all the time? Stability off and on the pitch is going to be the key to try and move us forwards...

I think the trouble is probably post Macari, the club was generally on the rise and those that followed did a good job (Ozzie and Hoddle) and then McMahon were keeping Town in the now top two divisions. Even if they hit the peak/peaked too soon?!

I believe many of us know if Town hadn't been made an example of (amongst several others) in such a destructive way, who knows but Town would likely have gone on to have been one of the founding members of the Premier League but 1990 syndrome hit and Sunderland were the beneficiaries. Who really knows how that could have dictated the clubs long term future.

Following all that, Town obviously did get to the top flight but those PL wheels were already in motion and what was a difficult task then is only much more difficult today.

Town have had a lot of false dawns, even if say Danny Wilson got Town up I don't think there was enough to stay there. I think there were some good off-field stability with the Fitton set up and Black & Arbyb funding it all. A regime similar to that could easily bring stability again. I think they thought they struck gold with the appointment of PdC and it all seemed like Town could go all the way. If most of us are honest, we all got drawn into it and it was bloody exciting. Call it lust rather than true love because when we reflect, we all know it could never last. A double promotion was definitely and highly likely on the cards but the excitement (or lust) of getting to the Championship, appeared to cloud the sensible and steady vision that both Wray & Fitton had previously executed. Ultimately that overexcitement led to overspending at the hands of a somewhat scattergun manager (a good one but that's where the stability now began to falter). The on pitch erraticness now impacted the once stabilised off-field actions at board level and Wray for all his good parts had become a lovestruck teenager to PdC's demands. They should have wrote a musical about it. I still think they were the best board Town have had since though.

Incredibly since then, Mark Cooper has been the longest serving Town manager at 2yrs 3months (Wilson was 2ys 2months I believe) but it is seldom now that a manager lasts or stays beyond a 2yr mark, whether for poor performance or for being a bit too good. For Town, Andy King (Part II) has been the longest serving for a quite some time nearly racking up 4yrs and certainly crosses it if we include his shorter initial stint (Part I).

Possibly this 2yr "barrier" is the indignance of how football management (but football as whole too) is perceived now. Every single club wanting to be top dog but failing to realise that there can only be one top team in each division. Which is why we now see a lot of movement within football today, nearly everyone chasing where they think they should be (another step up) and there's nothing wrong with ambition of course but not everyone can be winners all the time. We as fans also do this to some degree too; it's natural for most to want their club to do well.

To come to a head, maybe it isn't really a strive for stability (in some parts) that hold Town and so many other clubs back, maybe it's more to do with the fast pace and ever changing landscape of football. Those down the chain are playing it like "10 bob millionaires" or "keeping up with the Joneses", in order to maintain that facade; forever playing catch up as that divide staggeringly widens year upon godforsaken year. Then the mask drops and it all comes unravelling to show itself for what it really is. Beneath that mask in so much as Erik the "Phantom" was so afraid to show, often in football and as Town seem yet to find out again, it looks very very ugly.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: