Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, what do we hope or expect for STFC in 2020/21  (Read 18541 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 16:34:51 »

bet you still go there every year for your holidays tho don’t you 🤣🤣

I hope not it makes Weston look like the Bahamas😃

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 17:11:45 »

Funnily enough, I have just come back from an afternoon in Weston.  What a delightful place it is.

Nothing to see here
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 17:18:54 »

Given the strength of teams in the league and how willing some of them are to spend I'd say a season in midtable would be a success.

Hopefully have someone else in charge (at the top) by the end of the season who's willing to invest in a long term strategy of building a side. And maybe get the ground stuff started too.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 17:27:34 »

Funnily enough, I have just come back from an afternoon in Weston.  What a delightful place it is.

It's definitely much improved along the sea front

So, give no fucks
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 17:28:14 »

bet you still go there every year for your holidays tho don’t you 🤣🤣

I don't.  I go for work.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Valid Pint

« Reply #65 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 18:01:03 »

Did you have your usual swift half to help boost the economy?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 18:32:43 »

Did you have your usual swift half to help boost the economy?

Many thanks for asking.  I purchased some chips for the kids and a hot beverage.  I did what I could for those salt of the earth traders on the sea front.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 18:56:11 »

Many thanks for asking.  I purchased some chips for the kids and a hot beverage.  I did what I could for those salt of the earth traders on the sea front.

Did you take your binoculars so you could ge the a glimpse of the Bristol Channel😃

So, give no fucks
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 19:12:00 »

It’s very hard to predict this year - so many things up in the air.
My first hope is to be able to watch live games at the CG again - hopefully in October (I renewed my ST in the first widow in February).
If we can avoid administration that will be a start - RW has shown he can pick up players to fit the style he wants to play. As some have pointed out, last year we had a core of L1 players in L2 - so some of the new recruits need to be Championship level. Impact of salary cap may mean a smaller squad, so may not be able to afford too many with poor injury records (Baudry, Fryers, Lyden already Have that issue). We have some key gaps to fill - people have understandably focused on the gap left by Doyle and Yates, but replacing Benda is critical unless we can get him back again. Also, will the midfield create as many chances in L1 (presumably defences are better than in L2.
I’d settle for Mid table or top half at this stage - once the squad is assembled  we’ll have a better idea.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 06:29:39 »

I hope not it makes Weston look like the Bahamas😃
   Cheesy Cheesy

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #70 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 09:52:11 »

looks like Wellens is off ain’t he? Why would he wanna stay at a selling club
Oh do fuck off, you are a shit troll.

We do we always end up with such poor quality trolls?

I appreciate a good troll. The type where you sometimes just have to doff your hat and say 'fair play, you got me there'.

A good troll has wit, creativity, and originality. Ours have none of those things. Nothing but banality and predictability. (Although Reg is good at getting people hooked, I'll give him that).
Absolutely agree, it can be funny at times and a bit of mutual banter can be fun, a shit troll is just a cunt though, and that appears to be what we have got from the L1 glamour club from the glamour town.

you couldn’t pay 200k for Yates. Tried paying it in instalments hahahaha that’s pathetic that let’s be honest. Your gonna have to rely heavily on free agents this season, which the best players that are released there will be top teams after them. Think your gonna struggle
And when you have fucked off, fuck off some more for good luck.

Perhaps they are going for the Notts County approach now. Spend money that doesn’t actually exist....
I think this is a genuine option, some of their fans appear to deserve that, I can name one straight off the bat.....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #71 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 10:05:26 »

[The clubs financial survival is the priority and it's not hyperbolic to say that]

If Town somehow maintain an okay player budget then I'm confidant that Town can be a nuisance in L1.

I trust Wellens and Jewell. The transfers of 2019-20 that didn't go to plan (Tyler Reid and Adam May) didn't impact us in a detrimental way and it was impressive how RW/STFC acted swiftly to rectify those areas but I'm not sure we'll have the luxury of bringing in players at short notice to cover injured or out-of-form players in 2020-21.

The yearly transfer merry-go-round needs to stop in the long term for Town to build anything but I'm giving the football industry a pass for a year or two on this (aren't I nice) so if Town enjoy a good loan market then that will go a long way.

Lots of people have highlighted how strong L1 is but I think that's just in comparison to L2 in terms of 'known' football clubs. I think there is plenty of scope for Swindon to be competitive.

L1 "on paper" appears strong, less of the smaller clubs and a few of the percieved "bigger clubs" languishing down in L1.

But, these teams are down in L1 for a reason, they have been badly managed and owned etc. I am as concerned by Fleetwood or Accrington as I am Blackpool or Sunderland.

As you rightly say there have been very few duds in our recruitment from Wellens/Jewell/Power so far, I have 100% faith that they will get in equally as good signings for thsi coming season.

Probably best not to base my view on L1 by watching the POs, where 4 mediocre teams were on view, but I honestly can’t see why some are describing next season’s L1 line up as one of the strongest for years.

The 3 Championship relegated clubs - as it stands - are all basket cases and I can’t see any of them challenging.

There is huge pressure on clubs to get their recruitment right in this window as everyone will be up to the cap limit come the January window.

The ‘big’ clubs don’t seem to have the clout of previous ‘big’ clubs in L1 - Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich.

As for us, it boils down to trusting, again, Wellens’ recruitment which was so impressive last year. If players are all being offered the same wage then I reckon Wellens ‘selling’ of STFC will see players choosing SN1 in preference to others.
I agree, the play offs in L1 were a terrible standard with worse than terrible standard of goalkeeping on show, if thats 4 of the best 6 clubs in the division last season then its there for the taking, along with 3 struggling clubs getting relegated as well, I see little to fear TBH.

But.

That was based upon our performances from last season, this coming season will depend upon how many OOC players are re-signed and with new players added it will be a lottery until they all gel, last season we got off to a flier, thats probably less likely this term, due partly to the higher standard of L1, apparently.

If we get back Benda plus another backup keeper, of if not Benda then another good standard keeper, and sign a couple of strikers I do think we could be a massive nuisance to teams in and around the play offs, even dabbling in them at times ourselves.

As a priority though lets just consolidate until Christmas and then see how the budget stands and maybe a bit of wiggle room will see any underperforming players offloaded and better replacements found and aquired.

Get through this finanicial shit storm without going into admin, sign a few new players and mid table by Christmas and lets take it from there. Far too early to call yet.

Blackpoolfan

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 12:30:31 »

Be a shame if it went tits up  Grin
isn’t your player of the season on the way to us now? Hahhaa class this. You boys are in trouble
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 12:33:59 »

isn’t your player of the season on the way to us now? Hahhaa class this. You boys are in trouble

You seem to know a lot about STFC 😁

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #74 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 12:34:58 »

You seem to know a lot about STFC 😁
And care way more than any of care about your huge club.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: