Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Car Insurance Experts  (Read 5386 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 11:58:18 »

Anyone on here know the in's and out's of Car Insurance policies? Have a small issue with mine and want to advice before i find out i'm either breaking the law or invalidating my policy.

Thanks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:02:32 »

Would help to know your issue  Smiley
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:22:53 »

Anyone on here know the in's and out's of Car Insurance policies? Have a small issue with mine and want to advice before i find out i'm either breaking the law or invalidating my policy.

Thanks

If you need to ask, you probably are. 

Nothing to see here
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:24:40 »

Do you think you can help or just being nosey? I will happily PM the person if they believe they can help.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:31:25 »

Fuck it, we're all friend's here eh. I split with my wife a little while back and have been living at my mum's until we can get finances/mortgages sorted so i can get afford my own place. (covid hasn't helped)

I took out a new insurance policy with AA and all was fine, but then i got a letter asking me to validate my address. I think the underwriters noticed the policy address (my mums house) didn't match some data, possibly my billing address. I explained the situation to them, that this is just a stop gap but they are insisting that i provide them with a bank statement or a bill in my name for the property which i am currently living in. All utility bills are in my mums name (obviously) and i don't want to go through changing the details of my bank only to have to change them again.

Following so far?

My question, Just to make it less hassle, if i tell AA i have moved back into my old house, which, as of this time, i still own and still pay bills for, will i get in trouble even though i'm not technically living there.

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:37:47 »

Insurers want this info as I assume it is a material circumstance that impacts on risk.  You should tell them your current address.

Nothing to see here
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:43:03 »

Insurers want this info as I assume it is a material circumstance that impacts on risk.  You should tell them your current address.
Oh i have, i took the policy out in the address i'm currently living at, albeit temporarily (my mums) and they wan't me to provide a utility bill/bank statement with this address which i do not have.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:47:17 »

Oh i have, i took the policy out in the address i'm currently living at, albeit temporarily (my mums) and they wan't me to provide a utility bill/bank statement with this address which i do not have.

If they will not accept other documents such as your driving licence, which presumably has been updated, I suspect you will have to update you bank account details.

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:49:10 »

Sorry to hear Chubbs, didn't realise it would be that kind of issue, assumed it would be about declaring a change of wheels or something.

I wouldn't say you have moved back as that would probably invalidate your policy. I had a similar situation a few years ago, can't honestly remember what I did regarding the policy. Could you not give your own address as it's validated but advise them that your car will be kept overnight at your mums house?

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:50:52 »

If they will not accept other documents such as your driving licence, which presumably has been updated, I suspect you will have to update you bank account details.

Everything is still in the address of the house that i own and pay bills for, albeit don't live there right now.

That's why im thinking of just saying that i've moved back there, giving them a bill/bank statement as proof of address, but not sure if this will bite me in the arse.
Obviously when i find a new, permanent place to live, i would update everything then.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:56:15 »

In practice, you may not have an issue. The problem is, if you need to make a claim, the insurers may seek to avoid or limit their liability. You will have expressly told them something that isn't correct.

Nothing to see here
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 13:05:39 »

In practice, you may not have an issue. The problem is, if you need to make a claim, the insurers may seek to avoid or limit their liability. You will have expressly told them something that isn't correct.
To be fair, the cars not worth £500 so it's highly unlikely i'll be do any claiming :-).
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 13:09:26 »

To be fair, the cars not worth £500 so it's highly unlikely i'll be do any claiming :-).

No but what if you unfortunately have claim against you by a third party?

Nothing to see here
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 13:11:34 »

No but what if you unfortunately have claim against you by a third party?
Yeah, good point. Hmmmmm
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 13:24:32 »

Sorry to hear this.

Can you not just change the address on something like your mobile phone account, or alternatively temporarily get your name (with your mams) on the Council Tax* or similar?

*Actually scrub that as if she was living alone you will bugger up any single occupancy saving she makes.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 26, 2020, 13:32:20 by horlock07 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: