Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Switching from a mountain bike to a hybrid bike  (Read 9865 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 23:46:27 »

Hmmm, after watching that, mine is totally missing the top cap and long bolt that goes down the stem I think. So basically I can't tighten up said stem. I'm assuming I could buy a top cap and long bolt and just FIM? Or is buying a whole new stem (with top cap and l/b) the more sensible decision?

Thanks though btw.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 04:49:18 »

You can buy the star nut and top cap and attempt to fit it yourself but it can be a right pain to get the nut in and level. Best bet is just to take it to your local bike shop and get them to fit it, they’ll have the right tool for the job and will take them about 30 seconds to do. Won’t cost much at all.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 08:09:16 »

You can buy the star nut and top cap and attempt to fit it yourself but it can be a right pain to get the nut in and level. Best bet is just to take it to your local bike shop and get them to fit it, they’ll have the right tool for the job and will take them about 30 seconds to do. Won’t cost much at all.

I would second this, getting a star nut in the right place and more importantly level is nigh impossible without the right tools. Support your LBS.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 16:45:47 »

I will take a trip to mine on the 15th then (I think that's when it reopens?).

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 18:10:49 »

I will take a trip to mine on the 15th then (I think that's when it reopens?).

Bike shops have been open the whole time, except maybe really tiny ones. My "LBC" has been doing a roaring trade, including selling me an electric bike.

Got a road bike that I can't fix the back brake on, and booked it in with them yesterday for 22nd June. They could have done 16th but I'm working that week so couldn't drop it in. Quick jobs they will do on the spot.

Sold my Hoy Hybrid this morning to a bloke who caught the train from Streatham to Oxford. Yesterday I put it on Shpock, Gumtree and FB marketplace and he contacted me within 20 minutes of it going live, and paid the full asking price before I'd even met him! Had the usual bunch of twats messaging "£120?" (it was on for £220).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: