Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1197356 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:44:47 »

I've been accused of being selfish by a work colleague because I'm putting their loved ones at risk by going to the pub. Now, I don't consider myself as being stupid, but I don't understand their logic - if their "at risk" granny is nicely isolated at home, how does it effect her? Surely I'm only risking the health of the staff who have to be there, and other "selfish" folk who are also in the pub?
No, you and everyone else in the pub is risking the health of everyone you all then have contact with, and everyone they have contact with, and so on, which is how viruses spread rapidly through a community from small beginnings. From a couple pf pages ago:

1) People have tested positive for the virus without displaying symptoms so not feeling ill is no guarantee you're not spreading it
2) 10s of thousands of people will die from this (the CMO's "best hope" is "only" 20,000 deaths). People you know and care about will die. How many is down to how quickly the virus spreads. How quickly the virus spreads is down to people's behaviour. Like not doing stupid shit like going to a pub with "less than 20 people" in it that will all spread the virus not just to each other but to everyone else they have contact with
3) If the virus spreads quickly it will overwhelm the NHS, that will probably happen very quickly due to a decade of underfunding. At that point, people will start to die not just of coronavirus but because they can't get in intensive care for heart attacks, chronic diseases etc
4) If you think you won't get affected because you're not in a high risk group, in the US 40% of cases hospitalised are in the 20-54 age bracket. At the moment, they're largely not dying because there are enough intensive care beds and ventilators to go round. Once this thing peaks, there won't be. Then those people will start doing too because they can't be treated. Even if you are one of the wankers who think the old and sick are expendable because "I'm all right Jack", it's not just old people who will die from this.
5) If you find the current "social distancing" irksome, you're going to really hate a full lockdown when you literally won't be allowed out of your house unless you're a key worker or getting supplies (and possibly not even for that if they can sort out home deliveries). That will become necessary if people like you continue to do stupid shit like going to a pub with less than 20 people in it.

We are not islands, isolated from each other. We are all connected and how we behave affects everyone. If we make sensible choices and act like we are all responsible for each other we can limit the impact of this thing. If we act like selfish wankers, we're all going to be going to a lot of funerals, explaining to grieving families how it's all overhyped, it's just a bit of flu really and there's no reason to stop behaving like we are the only people who matter.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:48:11 by pauld » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:47:31 »

Firstly, if you are not under 19 (as data suggests) you are indeed at risk, just not as much.

Next - you may interact with someone and pass the virus on to them, they interact with someone more at risk, and so on.

Or, you pick up the virus and while you are less at risk you develop severe symptoms requiring treatment, during your hospital visit you interact with other patients, staff and visitors and on we go again.  Around half the patients in ICU beds are under 65.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #932 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:48:59 »

Is there really any need to call me a wanker?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:49:56 »

What about beer gardens? Are they ok?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:49:58 »

What chance have we got if we're still at the stage that this stuff has to be explained to people?  Doh

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:51:57 »

Will you be able to mobile order from the table and have it delivered in a paper cup by a string and pulley system from the bar, pumped by a person in a Hazmat suit?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:53:11 »

What chance have we got if we're still at the stage that this stuff has to be explained to people?  Doh

It's why China got to grips with it, eventually.  No negotiation, home or jail sir?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #937 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:56:34 »

I'd love to self isolate, as an asthmatic (albeit not 'brittle') I'm fully aware of the risk I'm posing to myself. Unfortunately I've no choice but to work and that work (lorry driver) isn't something that can be done from home. What I am doing though is limiting an social contact. Which I'm finding really easy, as I'm anti social at the best of times.

It's All Good..............
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #938 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 16:59:53 »

Is there really any need to call me a wanker?
No, and I didn't mean to directly call you a wanker. It was cut and paste from my original answer to Sippo this morning. And I didn't mean to call him a wanker either, it was more a general reflection on people putting their own fairly trivial self-gratification as more important than a deeply non-trivial public health issue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #939 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:01:24 »

Another reason for treating a trip to the pub as a risk - if you do get ill, and did need treatment, 8% of the Italian Healthcare workforce is now infected thanks to treating the ill, and is beginning to suffer deaths in the Doctor population.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #940 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:01:41 »

This has been answered multiple times. Why do you keep asking the same question (and getting pretty much the same answers) unless you're deliberately trolling?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #941 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:03:58 »

The time before we were on lockdown already seems like another age. I've left the house once in the last three days, for an hour. I read discussions like this as if they were from a history book.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #942 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:13:37 »

Only yesterday I saw somebody claim 'it's just the flu'
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #943 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:17:08 »

Only yesterday I saw somebody claim 'it's just the flu'
With nobs on

And bells and whistles
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #944 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:23:53 »

I've been accused of being selfish by a work colleague because I'm putting their loved ones at risk by going to the pub. Now, I don't consider myself as being stupid, but I don't understand their logic - if their "at risk" granny is nicely isolated at home, how does it effect her? Surely I'm only risking the health of the staff who have to be there, and other "selfish" folk who are also in the pub?

Italy reports 5,322 new cases of #Coronavirus and 427 new deaths.

Total number of cases reach 41035 and Total death toll reaches 3405

Fatality rate= 8.2%

And they are on lockdown and have been for an extended period already
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: