Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 37336 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 16:34:55 »

Did view the pitch yesterday whilst still up there.   Game would have been playable in my opinion had it not been for the waterlogging, yes there was a wind, nothing we couldn't have coped with,  there was more rain on the way up but most of the afternoon was dry, however,  there was absolutely no way that the match could have been played on that swamp.  Don't think there was a patch that wasn't waterlogged.  I was told it had been covered Friday night and that they now plan to renew the drainage system.   I know that the weather has been exceptional,  however there were only 4 games off in the top 4 divisions,  IMO knowing the forecast at the beginning of the week,  had the pitch been covered then, the game would have gone ahead.
Unless you have of those inflatable covers that stop water setting on the covers and help dry out the pitch then covering it would have done more damage than good. The weight of the cover and water compresses the surface and then you absolutely ruin the surface when you remove the covers and inadvertently end up flooding certain sections removing the covers. Just look at the section they did cover, the pitch was effectively sludge at the edge of the cover.
If the pitch is already fucked and isn’t draining then covers or no covers the match would still have been off.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 16:40:10 »

Unless you have of those inflatable covers that stop water setting on the covers and help dry out the pitch then covering it would have done more damage than good. The weight of the cover and water compresses the surface and then you absolutely ruin the surface when you remove the covers and inadvertently end up flooding certain sections removing the covers. Just look at the section they did cover, the pitch was effectively sludge at the edge of the cover.
If the pitch is already fucked and isn’t draining then covers or no covers the match would still have been off.

Surely they've know about the drainage issues for a few years so it makes you wonder why the wealthy owners haven't sorted it out and developed a pitch similar to our own

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 17:09:55 »

...Game would have been playable in my opinion had it not been for the waterlogging, yes there was a wind, nothing we couldn't have coped with,  there was more rain on the way up but most of the afternoon was dry...there was absolutely no way that the match could have been played on that swamp.  Don't think there was a patch that wasn't waterlogged.  I was told it had been covered Friday night...IMO knowing the forecast at the beginning of the week,  had the pitch been covered then, the game would have gone ahead.

I thought as much. Which is why I said wind wouldn't affect the game. I also mentioned that I hoped the Ground Staff at Field Mill would be doing all they could to get the game on. We all had a good idea of the forecast, as Grounds staff they certainly would've too.

Wouldn't get that kind of behaviour from Butch and the Sundance (literally) Crew  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 18:16:37 »

Surely they've know about the drainage issues for a few years so it makes you wonder why the wealthy owners haven't sorted it out and developed a pitch similar to our own
Their groundsman went through this. The pitch has decent drainage but the top 4 inches is capped and as it has been non stop rain for weeks they haven’t been able to get a machine on the pitch to punch holes. Beaten by the weather, can’t really blame anyone.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 18:24:45 »

Their groundsman went through this. The pitch has decent drainage but the top 4 inches is capped and as it has been non stop rain for weeks they haven’t been able to get a machine on the pitch to punch holes. Beaten by the weather, can’t really blame anyone.

Garden bloody fork, the lazy...  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 19:43:47 »

I go past Millwalls ground every morning. Most days they have large portable racks of what appear to be hydroponic lamps burning away.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 19:48:33 »

I go past Millwalls ground every morning. Most days they have large portable racks of what appear to be hydroponic lamps burning away.

Can you see the microphones dangling from the roof in the dockers stand placed to pick up any racist chanting

* IMG_3050.JPG (52.35 KB, 355x750 - viewed 428 times.)

* IMG_3051.JPG (127.18 KB, 1000x474 - viewed 427 times.)
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 19:52:30 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 20:32:44 »

I thought that was a myth and they are actually intended to boost atmosphere by amplifying acoustics? Both method would work though.

Isn't Millwall mostly just wannabe little boys and dried up ex "fackin' ooligans" who want one last chance of a hemorrhage?

'Incessant Nonsense'

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 20:36:23 »

I thought that was a myth and they are actually intended to boost atmosphere by amplifying acoustics? Both method would work though.

Isn't Millwall mostly just wannabe little boys and dried up ex "fackin' ooligans" who want one last chance of a hemorrhage?

I think you're right and it's still a horrible place to go and probably the only ground where you advised to take the safe fenced off path from Bermondsey station rather than walk through the streets

So, give no fucks
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 20:42:10 »

I went the other week with a Baggies mate.  I felt no more threatened than I have at any ground.

Couple of Burberry boys shouting 'carnts!' and waving arms around doing throat cutting gestures behind a row of coppers, but nothing more than that.  And the supposedly intimidating chanting was a bit crap as well.  Bunch of baggies jumping around shouting boing boing was more disturbing.

Im sure I could find a pub round there to get my head kicked in but I can probably do that at most grounds these days.  Its was all pretty funny to be honest.  And it was rainy so everyone went home cos serious farking naughtiness cant be done in the rain.

Never knowingly overstated.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 21:04:48 »

I went the other week with a Baggies mate.  I felt no more threatened than I have at any ground.

Couple of Burberry boys shouting 'carnts!' and waving arms around doing throat cutting gestures behind a row of coppers, but nothing more than that.  And the supposedly intimidating chanting was a bit crap as well.  Bunch of baggies jumping around shouting boing boing was more disturbing.

Im sure I could find a pub round there to get my head kicked in but I can probably do that at most grounds these days.  Its was all pretty funny to be honest.  And it was rainy so everyone went home cos serious farking naughtiness cant be done in the rain.

That's real nawty taking the mick out of those Bushwackers!

So, give no fucks
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 08:27:29 »

Rearranged to 31st march
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 08:38:33 »

Yay! I can make that one.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up