Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Stevenage pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 63425 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:22:24 »

Back to the game - I don't think enough credit is being given for the goal.

Doyle had more space than he should have been given, and we did well to create that space against such a negative team. He bought it down nicely and also turned nicely to hammer it home. He also played his part in what was a sweet build-up.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:25:09 »

What has he done that gives the impression of being temporary?

Why should he not try to change to the culture of the club to something more positive and successful? The club have made strides off the pitch since his appointment, and he would have been part of that. To suggest he should not speak of such things is weird.
I agree, at no point has Wellens or Power suggested that Wellens is not going to be with us long term. Other than the fact that all lower league management seems to be shorter term appointments due to the demands of fans wanting instant results, more so than ever before.

I think he's well within his rights to moan at some sections of fans, if you give out shit to people then be prepared for the take shit back, something too many people seem to forget now in this society of social media.

They think they can say what the fuck they want to who the fuck they want at any time, without any implications or retribution, you can't.

Also nobody is beyond criticism but at least back your criticism up with facts and not fiction.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:29:23 »

And part of the crowd 'problem' is an expectant fanbase believing that we should be in a higher League given our average gate compared to some.

But it doesn't work like them.

Haven't any stats but I believe that on average there will be a correlation between attendances and league position.  TV money has had a significant distorting effect but only higher up the tree.  I believe that Fleetwood, for eg, is overachieving and that STFC is underachieving.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:29:42 »

Doyle had more space than he should have been given, and we did well to create that space against such a negative team. He bought it down nicely and also turned nicely to hammer it home. He also played his part in what was a sweet build-up.
We had 4 or 5 really good moves prior to that that came to nothing with the final ball or good defending by them.

Doyle is a really good goal scorer and his running and chasing down balls has been a part of his game you don't normally hear about. Bradford fans say he didn't work hard enough and that in their opinion he plays best with a big target man alongside him, thats blatantly not true.

He runs his legs off every game chasing defenders and even playing the channels, hes not that fast but he can read the game well, hes a massive asset, to state the obvious.

Grant as well, I would say he is one of THE best defensive midfielders I have seen for the Town, he chases everything down, his tackling is incredible and his work rate is unfaultable, his passing is rarely more than 10 to 15 yards but he almost always finds another Town player.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:29:50 »

Also like the fact Doyle and Grant seem our most committed players despite all the moaning about loans we see.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:32:52 »

Also like the fact Doyle and Grant seem our most committed players despite all the moaning about loans we see.
See above post Wink I agree totally.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:33:24 »

I haven't the first clue about the FB stuff other than what gets mentioned on here.  As usual I make observations and then analyse them.

It seems to me that a manager like say Macari, moved his young family down from Manchester.... his kids went to local schools. He explained how he understood fans by standing on the terrace at Parkhead. When he was sacked the fans got him reinstated.  Someone like Sturrock although not around for that long, would be seen and heard of around Town....PdC also to some extent.  It is of course something you can spin... it's highly likely that Wellens just doesn't have that sort of personality, which is fair enough you are what you are. Wellens is more head coach, but in the summerwe heard about fan engagement.... perhaps I've missed something, but I'm yet to see it.  Perhaps you could educate us?
Right so you have no evidence whatsoever that Wellens is part time or that he doesn't, as the club has stated, spend his whole week down here working with the team, leaving his family in the Northwest. So no basis for your snidey digs then. If you want to criticise the bloke for his tactics or how he works with the team, fair enough, but stick to the facts. Repeating snidey smears is, or should be, beneath you.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:36:48 »

Grant as well, I would say he is one of THE best defensive midfielders I have seen for the Town, he chases everything down, his tackling is incredible and his work rate is unfaultable, his passing is rarely more than 10 to 15 yards but he almost always finds another Town player.

Consistency too.  Grant seems to play well regardless of the overall team performance.

Bit of a Makelele or Kante
Peter Venkman

« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:39:37 »

Consistency too.  Grant seems to play well regardless of the overall team performance.
He is absolutely our most constant player since he has joined us.

A player that hardly any of "us fans" thought was necessary when he signed, myself included, and yet he is easily the first name on the teamsheet now.

Flashheart

« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:40:33 »

his passing is rarely more than 10 to 15 yards but he almost always finds another Town player.

Which is exactly what you want in midfield - a player that can win the ball and then pass it to somebody else more creative.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:42:30 »

Several times last night, folks around us remarked that Grant seemed to be everywhere, especially in the last 10 mins or so. His appetite to work hard for the team is superb
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:44:10 »

Several times last night, folks around us remarked that Grant seemed to be everywhere, especially in the last 10 mins or so. His appetite to work hard for the team is superb
Even chased hard to get in on the goal celebration 
Peter Venkman

« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:45:00 »

Which is exactly what you want in midfield - a player that can win the ball and then pass it to somebody else more creative.
Absolutely, we have plenty of creative midfielders but nobody else does what he does, Lyden is the closest but Grants short passing as far superior to Lydens.

Talking of passing, I thought 50% of Doughtys passing was superb yesterday but 50% was awful, we still look a better team attacking wise with him on the pitch though even when you are only getting 50% of his ability in games.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:47:22 »

The only minus point with Grant is he very occassionally gets the red mist. But without that he wouldn't have the same commitment.

He brings so much to the team.

Flashheart

« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:50:48 »

That yellow he got yesterday could easily have been a red.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: