Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer Cricket 2019  (Read 50303 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, August 25, 2019, 19:10:43 »

England's best ever bowler should be back on his home ground, that'll help.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 06:37:16 »

I had tickets for yesterday, and 48 hours earlier I was pissed off that I’d chosen day 4 back in September when the tickets were on sale, doubting there would be any cricket at all. Well, I have to say that it was an inspired choice to pick day 4. Probably the most exciting sports event I have ever attended. ( Never been to Wembley when we’ve won or obviously that would be on a par). Like others though, I’m hoping the powers that be will realise that that doesn’t mean we don’t have huge issues with our batting line-up. Jack Leach should be given as much credit as Stokes, too. That sight of him cleaning his glasses between each ball goes down in history!!

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 08:18:01 »

The quandary now is what to change for the next test.

I would hope that Roy and to a lesser extent Buttler places are in doubt. Would Ben Foakes as wicket keeper improve anything by telling Bairstow to focus on batting only? Would that stop him playing namby pamby shots to get out out cheaply? (I doubt it) Or, do you consider a backwards step and recall 37 year old Ian Bell. He's 'technically' a better batsman than all of the England players (bar perhaps Root)

Burns and Denly have a one decent innings each in the series and will probably survive for longer. I don't think either are good enough at Test level though but don't know of anyone better.

On the bowling front, if Anderson is fit then who does he play instead of? Woakes perhaps? But then that weakens the batting too.

Aussie batting will be stronger in the next test and as shown in this series, its all about which 'poor' batting line up bats the best.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 08:40:58 »

England's best ever bowler should be back on his home ground, that'll help.

Who do you drop though? Archer or Woakes?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 08:46:50 »

The quandary now is what to change for the next test.

I would hope that Roy and to a lesser extent Buttler places are in doubt. Would Ben Foakes as wicket keeper improve anything by telling Bairstow to focus on batting only? Would that stop him playing namby pamby shots to get out out cheaply? (I doubt it) Or, do you consider a backwards step and recall 37 year old Ian Bell. He's 'technically' a better batsman than all of the England players (bar perhaps Root)

Burns and Denly have a one decent innings each in the series and will probably survive for longer. I don't think either are good enough at Test level though but don't know of anyone better.

On the bowling front, if Anderson is fit then who does he play instead of? Woakes perhaps? But then that weakens the batting too.

Aussie batting will be stronger in the next test and as shown in this series, its all about which 'poor' batting line up bats the best.

Ian Bell is out for the season... injured. Ollie Pope was at Leeds as cover for Jason Roy, so he's the next cab off the rank. Don't think too many changes will be made.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 11:36:50 »

You shouldn't select your bowlers based on your need to cover for your batting line-up.  That means Woakes drops out if Anderson is truly fit to play.  Stokes is the only all rounder we should need unless we determine not to use him at all as a bowler.

Roy has to play lower in the order or not at all.  Based on his form, not at all.

Bairstow should be dropped, but then Denly isn't much better and do you rip the team up?
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 12:16:37 »

Roy cant be considered as a test opener and wouldnt even play him at 4 as technically he is just not strong enough. Stokes could bat at 3 but probably too high a workload. Would bring in Sibley to replace Roy, move Denley to 3 - as his graft in the 2nd innings deserves another chance - enabling Root to play in his favoured position at 4. There is a case for dropping Buttler, although I would persevere as he has match winning potential and will be the next England captain. Anderson replaces Woakes, who had a poor test with bat and ball. Although this weakens the batting line up, it is about time the top 7 delivered consistently, without undue reliance on 8-11.

Burns
Sibley
Denley
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Buttler
Archer
Leach
Broad
Anderson
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 08:34:42 »

What a performance that was from Stokes. Credit to Root as well for putting in an important shift, as well as Leach of course.

If anything, that incredible run chase should highlight to the whole England team where they've been going so wrong and how strong the side (or most of it) is when they bat to the condiitons. Hopefully some lessons learnt for the remaining tests, because as good as the Aussie bowlers have been there have been far too many cheap wickets throughout the batting order.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 08:07:48 »

In reply to Nemo from the match day thread.
Was at Old Trafford on Thursday.
Some good cricket played, not by England though.
Still, it was a pleasure to watch a master at work.

Great view from the top of the stand next to the big temporary one.
Not so keen on the 5.50 a pint.

Enjoy the day.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 08:26:29 »

Cheers WB. Hopefully Stokes can do his thing again, otherwise we're staring down both barrels here.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 13:21:59 »

Another poor batting performance from most of the team.  At least we avoided the follow-on.  The hope will be the game runs out of time to get a result.

No change really, Denly, Roy & Bairstow adding nothing to the team right now.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 13:36:55 »

Or that the Aussies are skittled and our swishers play 20/20 style to win the match!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 16:53:05 »

Smith is out before getting a hundred!

Wow.

Never knowingly overstated.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 17:30:20 »

Aussies can’t choke from this position surely.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 17:37:08 »

Aussies can’t choke from this position surely.

Not looking like it now. 0-2 in the first over.  Eek

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: