Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Budget  (Read 12040 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 16:56:22 »

No way did players in the Shearer/White era move as regularly as they do now but agreed a few players of the era of the top two leagues did miss out on a few cup games. So even bigger apples and pears to compare then.

IMO the agent fees list could show anything you want it to show. Obviously you've managed to work it into your narrative. I'm sure we're all shocked.

Shearer did 4 years.... Kaiyne and Keshi will be up to 3 at season's end, who knows perhaps they might extend. Player have been pretty mobile for some years now. Jimmy Quinn for example, but he used to come back.

I'm interested to hear how you think signing a player works, in the current set up.  Do you rule out the possibility that if you want player x, that the agent rates at a certain value on what he and the player reckons his worth to be, due to present wage, experience etc, that you'll have to pay a bit more for the perceived better standard? Further by paying that bit more for a perceived better standard do you rule out it being reflected in the final spending figures?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 17:03:46 »

There are only 2 ways of looking at it.

Either Power is lying about the budget or the managers since, and including, Luke have been fucking useless.

Tbh, a budget of £2-2.5m should get you a PO spot.

I’d imagine the relegated clubs, bar Rochdale probably, will be well funded. Strong league next season.

Rochdale didn't go down...

I suspect Power spins things a bit.... it's only to be expected.
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 17:28:50 »

Power also said that we now have a Championship-level scouting setup. What's the benefit of this? Does it mean our transfer budget potentially goes further - we pick up gems that other D4 clubs have overlooked?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 18:24:02 »

Plymouth and Bradford will be but Scunthorpe and Walsall don't have 2 pennies to rub together.

Orient and Salford will both be well backed though I would think.

I’m not wholly up to speed vis a vis the rules on club expenditure v income. So how do the financial rules effect Div2? If there are mechanisms relating to expenditure being a % of turnover then surely we should be able to compete at the higher end of the league. Of course that assumes that the Grand Fromage is prepared to spend upto the level we are allowed too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 18:29:18 »

but income isn't just gate recipes, 'sponsorships' and the like count. Hence FGR.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 18:50:04 »

but income isn't just gate recipes, 'sponsorships' and the like count. Hence FGR.

No, I am sure you are right. However, if you look at FGR attendances v ours and I am only stabbing in the dark because, frankly I cannot be arsed to look, surely we have roughly 3k more per game. If so at £20 a pop which may be generous but use it as a starting point, that is £60,000 per game extra income. Times that by 23 equals £1.3m in turnover extra. So is Ecotricity’s spindorship £1.3m more than Imagine Cruising per year?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 19:25:04 »

Power also said that we now have a Championship-level scouting setup. What's the benefit of this? Does it mean our transfer budget potentially goes further - we pick up gems that other D4 clubs have overlooked?

Most clubs use something like Scout 7, an online database.... Power probably means we're now doing the same.  Chorley probably then goes and looks.

Some of Wellens Jan recruits like Theo and Bennett, were player he'd played with... so quite a reliable method, even if having a natural shelf life.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 19:38:08 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 19:42:32 »

No, I am sure you are right. However, if you look at FGR attendances v ours and I am only stabbing in the dark because, frankly I cannot be arsed to look, surely we have roughly 3k more per game. If so at £20 a pop which may be generous but use it as a starting point, that is £60,000 per game extra income. Times that by 23 equals £1.3m in turnover extra. So is Ecotricity’s spindorship £1.3m more than Imagine Cruising per year?
I think owners in L2 can loan their clubs on a personal basis - i.e. not landing their club with debt. It’s how Salford will chuck millions at it.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 20:08:30 »

Yep - Share Capital or Sponsorship are the two main ways clubs like FGR and Mansfield can push the boat out.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 20:47:27 »

Last set of FGR accounts 2017/8.

Turnover £4.9m made up of
Match day revenue £1m (up from £657k)
Advertising and Sponsorship £2.43m (up from £961k)
Other Football revenue £1.25m (up from £198k

Also £650k of share capital injected.

Salaries £3.42m and a profit of £422k compared to £2.16m loss.

Not sure many clubs outside the Championship would get sponsorship over £1m a season. Presumably, football revenue is the solidarity payments. Shows how you can put that sort of budget together.
Panda Paws

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 20:48:34 »

Most clubs use something like Scout 7, an online database.... Power probably means we're now doing the same.  Chorley probably then goes and looks.

Or listen to the RW interview today, which details exactly how they work. A clue... It's the opposite to this, and it's Wyscout.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 06:49:15 »

Last set of FGR accounts 2017/8.

Turnover £4.9m made up of
Match day revenue £1m (up from £657k)
Advertising and Sponsorship £2.43m (up from £961k)
Other Football revenue £1.25m (up from £198k

Also £650k of share capital injected.

Salaries £3.42m and a profit of £422k compared to £2.16m loss.

Not sure many clubs outside the Championship would get sponsorship over £1m a season. Presumably, football revenue is the solidarity payments. Shows how you can put that sort of budget together.

So how does that compare to our last set of published accounts? I would also venture to suggest that our general overheads (excluding the player budget) are more than theirs. If I am correct there, it may mean that once we own the ground we lose the rent to the council which in turn could be then put into the playing budget?
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 06:53:01 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 07:26:34 »

Or listen to the RW interview today, which details exactly how they work. A clue... It's the opposite to this, and it's Wyscout.

So do we use an online database for scouting like I said?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 08:19:52 »

You are a knowledgable and resourceful chap, why don’t you email the club? You’ll then be able flesh out one of your posts with your knowledge and enchant everyone else to hang onto every word you type of the subject. I’m beside myself with anticipated excitement.
Panda Paws

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 08:22:15 »

Yes, but RW is very clear in that he watches players first, or takes cues from performances against us, and then goes deeper on Wyscout, as opposed to your suggestion that they scour a scouting platform then go watch them. Online video databases are not the best place to start, as you miss the context of the game, but can inform further opinion, according to RW.

You should watch the interview, it's very interesting, although it's up to you which parts of it you believe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: