Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57384 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 23:21:07 »

Right result I missed as away with work.

Get in...

Was it Cooper's fault!?

Clems Army!
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 23:32:01 »

Right result I missed as away with work.

Get in...

Was it Cooper's fault!?

Not really. Had them playing well like with us, but they invite pressure and cause themselves problems, like with us.

I liked Cooper though. Apparently signed Danny Williams condolence book in the club shop before the game as well which is a nice touch.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 02:01:38 »

The kind of performance you'd expect of a side top of the league, just let them devise their own demise and pick them off. Hopefully more of the same, bar the wastefulness of possession so quickly.

Definitely got a chance with the run-in and there's really not that much pressure on the side to pull it off. Bring on the surge.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 06:57:00 »

Last away game of the season at Numb could be interesting if we’re in the mix.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 07:20:41 »

Probably a more impressive result than on Saturday, in that we dealt with a team with an excellent away record who pass the ball very well, restricting them to very few chances. I thought our tactics were spot on, in denying them space from playing through us. Ok they got a couple of dangerous crosses in late on, but defensively from 1 to 11 we were excellent last night.

The whole team looks completely revitalised from the Brown era, with significant improvement in a number of areas, the most eye-catching being increased workrate, clearly driven by a higher level of fitness. In this respect the front 3 yesterday were absolutely outstanding,  particularly Woolery, with his lung busting runs and Robinson with his closing down. Credit also to Carroll, a last minute replacement for Rose, whose enthusiasm and coverage of the pitch, particularly in the 2nd half, was immense - a right back he isn't, a very capable holding midfielder he most certainly is.

Conroy looks transformed with Broadbent alongside him. The most dominant defender we have had since Aden Flint and much better distribution, at this stage of his career.

We appear to have the basis of a very good side, with a quality keeper,  improving back 4 with pace in both full back positions, good holding midfield options, Doughty back to his best and a very quick and dangerous front 3 - all riches indeed. Early days but the manager deserves praise for his coaching, recruitment in January and motivation of the players in getting the best from the team. Dare I say it,  credit also to Power for backing him in January.

What to expect for the remainder of the season? Well the play offs are still an outside bet, although despite Wellens public comments, I get the feeling that the players genuinely feel they have a reasonable chance and if - and I know it's a big if - we can get 2 wins from our best 2 home games against Grimsby and Colchester, then momentum will be with us and maybe just maybe we can dare to dream.

At the very least we should have a much higher level of optimism going in to next season. I just hope that Wellens stock doesn't rise to an extent where clubs with better budgets come calling in the meantime. I would hope that Power recognises that he has a decent young manager at his disposal who with backing can take the club on an upward trajectory. Reminds me of a certain Lou Macari in his honesty in interviews when talking about players.

Lastly I realise it's the hope that kills - but surely that has to be better than the general apathy that has engulfed the County Ground for a number of seasons!

Coyr.

kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 07:23:05 »

Reading my post back I was referring to Broadbent and not Conroy as the most dominant defender.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 09:27:13 »

Weird how watching online gives you a very different view thanbeing there, are people around you moaning about how we are playing? just curious mate cos it looks a fairly decent passing game from here.

More just nervousness, particularly early on, but it still has a draining effect.  e.g., Koiki's very first pass was awful, the crowd groaned (rather than moaned) but he played very cautiously for the next 15 minutes always looking for the safe  pass until he got his confidence back.

Strange game in a lot of ways.  FGR looked very good early on, really crisp passing, one very good chance and several incisive passes through the middle that nearly came off.  We weren't playing badly, just looked a bit outclassed.  The goal changed everything. Suddenly the FGR passing game started looking like it was pretty but with no end product, a carbon copy of what we experienced under Cooper, brilliant if you score first but....

The second goal was even better, good finish but it was the pass in and Robinson's turn that made it.  And then the flaws in the Cooper model really took over.  Two goals down, but rather than upping the tempo they became even more obsessed with retaining possession, 20 pass moves ending up back at their own keeper who looked very nervous.  And no pressure applied on us whilst we kept the ball in our own half.  Effectively they ran down the clock to half time for us.

As for us, Doughty is such a classy player but his attitude stinks.  The rest of the team seemed to be really playing for each other and the manager.  Robinson looked great even with limited service. 

Disappointing crowd.  As usual we were late leaving pub so game already started and I didn't notice for some time just what an impressive turnout it was from FGR who were genuinely making some noise rather than just banging that stupid drum.  Suddenly you noticed how quiet the Swindon crowd was and how sparse. 

Hopefully those two results and the performances behind them will encourage a few back.  I know it's just two games but there is definitely something there.  We can kick on from here.  Could Wellens be the manager we've been needing for so long?

molepar

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 09:34:27 »

How many did FGR bring?
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 09:51:48 »

500 odd.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:10:10 »

That was more like it.  Win the next 4 in a row and we'll be back in the hunt.  Shame about Saturday as when you get a bit of form you really want to be playing. 

The table will have a different look Sat evening.... several key fixtures, Exeter v Bury, effectively a game in hand for them, not easy, we could do with a Bury win. FGR at home to Yeovil, Glovers currently sinking like a stone, could they be catching FGR on a bit of a slump? Hope so.

Had we lost last night we'd have dropped to 14th, as there are Oldham and Crewe just below us who've been doing well of late.... Oldham like Tranny have Sat as a game in hand on us....Oldham are home to Crewe, a scoring draw would see both go above us.  Tranny are at Cambridge who've picked up a bit under Colin, can te Fridge do us a favour?  Of the 2 on 52, ColU are at Macc, so would fancy getting something, and Carlisle entertain Franchise.

It's tight.... Franchise went from out of te PO's to 4th last night, had Newport won they'd have joined us on 46 but with a game in hand.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #355 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:13:51 »

How many did FGR bring?
Looked pretty packed, I would say around 1000.

After the game I was thinking, watching FGR play was so much like watching us under Williams, some nice passing but never really looking threatening, and TBH they never really looked like they would score.

Yet again I see nothing in Doidge at all, he offered nothing all game and was easily kept quiet by Broadbent all game who only handed him back from his pocket as the team coach left the CG.

We managed the game really well, we scored 2 fine goals, Theo is the difference and time for Richards to retire, he came on, he missed one chance and ran like he was running in knee high water.

If we play like that at home we will beat anyone, workmanlike if not thrilling to watch, long may it continue.

Oh and a special mention to Koiki, who I think looks a real raw talent, his attacking play is wonderful and his defending is improving with every game.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:19:06 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #356 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:32:13 »

As always post game comments from FGR forum.

Swindon were an ordinary side but at least they knew how to finish when presented with opportunity.

If a manager sends out a team to slow it down, pass sideways and back, and try and contain the game for a 0-0 what does one expect.

We're like an overtuned engine, listen to it purr but it ain't going anywhere if you don't put the foot on the gas in forward gear.

Woolery's strike was long range hit the damned thing and in off the post against the run of play. But it was decisive and inevitable from the way we were playing.

Disappointed despite a better second half. We were given a simple footballing lesson in the first half and a lesson in time wasting in the second.

Swindon broke with pace and committed 4-5 forward direct towards goal - two good finishes and game over - direct football with a purpose - to score a goal
We passed endlessly side to side and backwards with zero penetration

Here's what Coops had to say. Blasted poor goals, spoke about offside goal

Swindon scored with sublime strikes in or around the box but out of our 10 attempts tonight only 2 were on target. Swindon only hit 6 but 4 were on target and 2 went in.

Just seen MCs interview. Criticises the players for being too negative in attack but that appears to be his preferred style.

I'm happy because mid table was what I wanted in August. Anyone who actually believes that playoffs or even promotion was possible I beg you to inbox me and tell me what drugs your on because I'm open to try anything.
Tonight was honestly horrendous I can't quite believe what I saw. Pass pass pass pass pass go nowhere lose the ball. Pass pass pass pass pass nd so on. Jesus wept it was terrible.

Swindon on the other had celebrated like they won the league embarrassing coming from an ex premier league club.

To get things in perspective, last night was a low point in an excellent season to date. But to perform so poorly against close local rivals when so many had travelled in support made it feel that much worse

Peter Venkman

« Reply #357 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:34:35 »

The goals here.

https://www.skysports.com/football/swindon-vs-forest-grn/report/394018

Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:56:12 »

"Swindon on the other had celebrated like they won the league embarrassing coming from an ex premier league club."

Pretty funny the way tinpot football clubs try and make themselves seem more important.

Celebrating because we've kept our season and the chance to get out of this fucking division alive. Not because we've beaten football juggernauts Forest Green Rovers.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #359 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 11:01:50 »

Yeah that was the only comment that I thought...you jumped up twats.

It did as you say basically keep our season alive.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: