Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Stevenage official match day thread  (Read 59674 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 11:23:53 »

you can't argue with facts.

Plenty on here will... it's true that because something happened it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen again, but there are patterns that can be used as indicators.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 11:36:42 »

certainly is an indicator.

Should have a reasonable idea which way this is headed by end of January.

Wellens will have had a bit of time to instill his ideas, and Power will have opportunity to show he's got the resources (or wheeling dealing) to change this season - assuming it's needed and Wellens hasn't pulled a rabbit out the hat by then.

I digress.

Tonight I think I'd start with twine and Anderson just behind. Back 4 as per Saturday. Obviously Doughty comes in for McCourt, I think he'll play Taylor deep again, so right and left mid to fill. mcGlashen and ?

could go with a narrow 3 in mid (Smith) and put mcGlashen and Anderson off twine. not much cover for vulnerable left side though
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 11:42:40 »

certainly is an indicator.

Should have a reasonable idea which way this is headed by end of January.

Wellens will have had a bit of time to instill his ideas, and Power will have opportunity to show he's got the resources (or wheeling dealing) to change this season - assuming it's needed and Wellens hasn't pulled a rabbit out the hat by then.

I digress.

Tonight I think I'd start with twine and Anderson just behind. Back 4 as per Saturday. Obviously Doughty comes in for McCourt, I think he'll play Taylor deep again, so right and left mid to fill. mcGlashen and ?

could go with a narrow 3 in mid (Smith) and put mcGlashen and Anderson off twine. not much cover for vulnerable left side though

If Anderson is available, then I'd go for a sort of 4-4-2, using Keshi and Twine to work the channels.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:18:06 »

Ha, if only football worked like that we'd be millionaires.

I put those stats as I didn't realise statistically how shit we've been. I mean I knew it was shit, but not that shit.

you can't argue with facts. they just aren't going to absolutely dictate future performance.

anyway, last back to back win was achieved v Stevenage. it's a sign

That's the point. The fact is that we lost our last home game 4-0, and then won away. The fact is that Stevenage lost their last away game 4-0, and then won at home.

If, further to that, any kind of outcome was obvious, there would be a lot less than 5-6k on the gate.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:21:11 »

Vigs

Knoyle Nelson Woolf Iandolo

Taylor

McGlashan Doughty Alzate

Anderson Twine

I think it will either be that or with Dunne/Smith insead of McGlashan if we are playing narrower.

McGlashan has played striker for Southend and Cheltenham but I don't think he is good enough to play that role now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:31:41 »

[quote author=Peter Venkman link=topic=57596.msg1479478#msg1479478

They have several ex Town faces in their squad this season with Michael Timlin, Scott Cuthbert, Alex Revell and John Goddard (out on loan at Bromley)
[/quote

Shite, didn't realise Revell was there, that fucker always scores against us.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:35:14 »

[quote author=Peter Venkman link=topic=57596.msg1479478#msg1479478

They have several ex Town faces in their squad this season with Michael Timlin, Scott Cuthbert, Alex Revell and John Goddard (out on loan at Bromley)
[/quote

TBF he hasn't the last couple of times... but before that it was 7 in 8 games  Sad
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:47:40 »

Playing well at the moment too according to their forum.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:50:22 »

We need to start well. We're the only team in L2 who haven't scored first at home, 0/9.
We've scored first in 4 away games winning 3 and drawing the other.

We go 1-0 up in the first 15/20 I think we will be fine. Concede first and it could be a long evening.

2-0 Town.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:59:52 »

Strange how even having a mainly different squad we still have the same home/away traits as last year.

We’ve really thrown in some utterly dreadful home performances - Bury, Cambridge and Carlisle - much like last season against Crawley and Barnet (amongst others).

Perhaps it is down to us - the fans!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 13:02:52 »

Alzate

I knew I'd forgotten someone!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 13:17:11 »

Strange how even having a mainly different squad we still have the same home/away traits as last year.

We’ve really thrown in some utterly dreadful home performances - Bury, Cambridge and Carlisle - much like last season against Crawley and Barnet (amongst others).

Perhaps it is down to us - the fans!

I don't think it's to do with the fans..... although we had some ropey shows last season Flitcroft had won 5 in a row before he bailed, and then it turned to shite again... for me that was more to do with losing Preston and Lancashire.

The other factor is sides in recent seasons have generally found it easy to play against the tippy tappy football.... keep it tight, sit in, watch the ball be played around in front of you and wait for the mistake, either in open play or set piece.

If you play tippy tappy and are good at it then you intimidate sides.... so when they visit, there's already a psychological block in their head.  Same applies if you're more direct and good at it.

We have no intimidatory factor.... most sides now turn up expecting to get something and usually do.  Stevenage tonight will expect to win....  changing this mindset is Wellens' challenge, it won't be easy.
Panda Paws

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 13:22:50 »

LV
Knoyle Sid Woolf Iandolo
  Smith Taylor Doughty
Alzate   Twine    Keshi   
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 14:13:35 »

If our record against Stevenage (P10 W6 D1 L3) tells us anything about tonight’s game its that we might win or lose, or maybe even draw.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 14:53:46 »

A wet & cold, drizzly soaker of a Tuesday night match always brings out the true heart of any side. I'm sure Wellens is up for it. Would've been his kind of game when he was playing. Stevenage are no mugs but surprising things happen - this league has proved it time and again.

I'll say 1-1

Twine bags his first.

6012 (39 Steves).

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: