Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Favourite/Least Favourite Stadium to visit (doesn't have to be football)..  (Read 23677 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 11:26:58 »

You mentioning the Bernabeu jogged my memory that thy have been doing it up. This is mental
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 14:02:28 »

You mentioning the Bernabeu jogged my memory that thy have been doing it up. This is mental

What's great is that pretty much none of that is new tech. Just utilising some very good tech in what should be in top end multi-sporting and entertainment venues Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 17:11:52 »

What's great is that pretty much none of that is new tech. Just utilising some very good tech in what should be in top end multi-sporting and entertainment venues Smiley

First time I saw this was the 2002 World Cup. The Argentina game, I think.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 17:36:11 »

Favourite - Azteca

Least - colchester
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 19:20:52 »

Best - San Siro

Worst - Northampton when it was half a cricket pitch.
           Barrow - because it was a miserable day on all counts.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 00:38:55 »

Must admit, had to look up La Bombonera but yeah, any game there looks like it must be pretty insane. Boca Juniors v River Plate makes the Old Firm look like a garden party...

Favourite for me - Lincoln Financial Field Philadelphia

Least - Lots...but the London Stadium is about as bland as it sounds, especially compared to Upton Park, one of the most characterful old style stadiums...

It was pretty mental... I was there a few months back in November, it was a dead game for the league and stage in the season but that didn't stop the Xeneizes. Buenos Aires had torrential rain all day and I said to my fiancee, I would be surprised that the game would be on considering the weather but we kept asking if the game was on and kept getting told yes, so we went.

It was an evening game, still pissing down with rain. As we're driving towards the stadium, there are buses of Boca fans gunning it down the roads, you can hear the bands on the bus, fans hanging out the windows singing and waving Boca flags. Soon as there is a red light, they are getting off the bus and dancing around the cars only to pile back onto the bus quickly as possible soon as the light turns green...

Consider an area from the County Ground to the bus station surrounding the entire stadium closed. All routes into the ground funnelling fans into designated checkpoints. The first checkpoint was checking that we had tickets to the game. 50 metres down the road, 2nd checkpoint COVID vaccination check. 3rd checkpoint another 50 metres down the road, full-body frisk search. Then we finally got to the turnstiles to get in, the band in the stadium is already playing and the fans are already singing in full voice and we were still an hour away from kick off...

Kick off time comes, the opposition players come out on the pitch at the same time the referee comes out with his linesman and proceeds to roll the ball about the pitch that's got a small pond in the middle of the pitch. The fans couldn't give a fuck though, which by this point are climbing the 20ft fences topless and swinging their shirts around their heads singing along. Fans are singing and dancing around in the rain, the massive pools of water behind the goal have turned into some sort of Klinsmann Diving competition and mass splashaton...

Obviously, the game was postponed. Did the fans still give a fuck? Hell no - they carried on for a good hour after the game was postponed, singing and dancing all night long.

The game was re-arranged for 2 days later and it's a full stadium, singing, dancing, bouncing continuously for the entire game from the bottom tier to the third tier, no fucks given for safety. The only time they stopped was for halftime. It was a shit game of football but the fans didn't stop supporting their team and the atmosphere was absolutely incredible.

Any Boca vs River would be an incredible game to go to, especially considering that the 2nd leg of the Copa Libertadores final in 2018 had to moved out of South America and to the Bernabéu because the violence from the 1st leg was too intense...

There's a reason why no away fans are not allowed to attend games in Argentina... There are all fucking nuts.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, February 24, 2022, 02:03:29 »

First time I saw this was the 2002 World Cup. The Argentina game, I think.

Ahh nice memory jogger! I think I'm right in thinking that was the Sappora Dome in Japan/Korea. It had rotating stands which meant the football pitch could be wheeled away and grow/live outdoors.

Edit:
Checked it out. It is the Sapporo Dome but whilst there are similarities, it's not quite as advanced as Horlock's Real Madrid one above. No use of hydroponics and there is no real underground storage of the playing surfaces but in 2001/02 it still paved a way for stadia innovation. The Sapporo Dome also looks pretty stunning and only cost c£260m to make, whilst Wembley cost a stonking c£800m but I guess it does have a bloody nice arch  Roll Eyes

https://stadiumbase.com/listing/sapporo-dome/

NB: Spurs has a "split-pitch" which is quite impressive and someways is likely inspiration for the Bernabeu's future vision.

« Last Edit: Thursday, February 24, 2022, 02:07:18 by bamboohoomyavatar » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Friday, February 25, 2022, 00:25:30 »

Blew my head off when I first saw it, no idea why it stuck in my memory. A lot of that world cup seemed groundbreaking and different from the usual.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 19:14:35 »

Cracking away day before they moved to a new out of Town stadium some 15 years ago.
Gay Meadow in the distance!

* IMG_4719.PNG (475.66 KB, 1536x1167 - viewed 103 times.)
« Last Edit: Friday, May 19, 2023, 20:25:10 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 20:04:34 »

Least favourites probably The Withdean and Colchesters new stadium.

One because the facilities are shit and the other because its absolutely soulless and in the arse end of nowhere.

Oxford too as shit soulless three sided and in the middle of a retail park and they give us a wank allocation.

Oh and Forest Green when they oversell the end and you can't see fuck all.

Favourites

Griffin Park before it went, but the two tier stand. Was pretty shit when we were in the then uncovered end.

Pompey is a bit like Swindon but a bigger ground, good central location.

Always seem to have a good craic at Northampton despite also being on a retail park like Oxford.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 20:31:53 »

Least favourites probably The Withdean and Colchesters new stadium.

One because the facilities are shit and the other because its absolutely soulless and in the arse end of nowhere.

Oxford too as shit soulless three sided and in the middle of a retail park and they give us a wank allocation.

Oh and Forest Green when they oversell the end and you can't see fuck all.

Favourites

Griffin Park before it went, but the two tier stand. Was pretty shit when we were in the then uncovered end.

Pompey is a bit like Swindon but a bigger ground, good central location.

Always seem to have a good craic at Northampton despite also being on a retail park like Oxford.

The Withdean and Hockey stadium Franchise both just odd

I didn't mind Griffin park when the away end was nearest the M4

The old Northampton ground was bizarre with the cricket pitch on one side of the pitch

Aldershot was unique having to walk through a park to access the away end plus watching the trains go by behind the side stand.

Southamptons Dell was just cool and atmospheric

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 21:06:35 »

Wigan’s grassy knoll at Springfield Park.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 21:08:20 »

Didn't like the Old Den. Did like Layer Road. Current favourite Orient.
Loved Molineux,even though we lost

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, May 20, 2023, 10:09:21 »

Smug Fuck Off
Colchester's drab hol of an industrial unit.
The FA's drab hole of an industrial unit with a feature arch

Clap
Loftus Road- nice and tight to the pitch AND we did the double there in our Premier League season

"We are Endsleigh League say we are Endsleigh League!"
"Phoned me Mum me Mum, to put the champagne on ice, cos we beat the Rangers twice, beat the Rangers twice!"
Great day out.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, May 20, 2023, 10:28:31 »

Smug Fuck Off
Colchester's drab hol of an industrial unit.
The FA's drab hole of an industrial unit with a feature arch

Clap
Loftus Road- nice and tight to the pitch AND we did the double there in our Premier League season

"We are Endsleigh League say we are Endsleigh League!"
"Phoned me Mum me Mum, to put the champagne on ice, cos we beat the Rangers twice, beat the Rangers twice!"
Great day out.

And a bit of bother in the springbok before hand too
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: