Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trust look to buy the CG  (Read 382155 times)
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 08:54:40 »

There's nothing to stop you. We live in an age of individualism... the TE was built by fan's contributions, the Trust's efforts to put a roof on the Bank, shows that it is not now possible for such collectivism. It's a shame but it's where we are.
I don't think the failure to put a roof on the Bank is down to apathy. From my point of view it is not a good idea and therefore not worth supporting. Better to get behind a proper stadium redevelopment not just sticking plaster stuff. I wrote to the Trust to express this some time ago btw.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 09:07:31 »

I don't think the failure to put a roof on the Bank is down to apathy. From my point of view it is not a good idea and therefore not worth supporting. Better to get behind a proper stadium redevelopment not just sticking plaster stuff. I wrote to the Trust to express this some time ago btw.
seconded
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 09:20:22 »

seconded
Thirded. Complete waste of time & hard to believe the idea had enough support to get off the ground in the first place. The purchase of the CG is a far more worthwhile cause.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #168 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 16:25:11 »

Putting a roof on the Stratton bank is a great idea. AFTER we've bought the ground.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 18:59:16 »

Putting a roof on the Stratton bank is a great idea. AFTER we've bought the ground.

It's in the media pack they released that the bank will happen but the ground idea came from them engaging with businesses to invest in the idea to "roof the bank". The businesses turned around and said we won't invest unless the ground is owned by the Trust as there is no guarantee that the council won't sell the ground in 2 years time and and their money / hard work is wasted. So from that they are switching focus to getting hold of the ground and then once that's done they can work on projects such as the roof, a new TE and the club museum.

The trust has a big problem with their message though, they have 3 websites with 3 different messages which don't seem to be updated regularly (hence the confusion in this thread). Steve Mytton is updating the website(s) this weekend which should help clarify some of the points from the AGM and their new focus but there needs to be a lot more work as it's not very clear what the objective is at the moment
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 20:19:33 »

This.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 22:22:00 »

There's no point putting a roof on that stand. It's fucking awful. It needs to be knocked down & rebuilt from scratch. It'll be a total waste of money.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 00:22:20 »

agree with Freddy, condemn it!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 10:01:11 »

There's no point putting a roof on that stand. It's fucking awful. It needs to be knocked down & rebuilt from scratch. It'll be a total waste of money.

It offers a better view than the town end and even though the toilets etc are ancient and dilapidated the TE ones aren't much better. Would be nice to see a new stand but can't see that happening.
We don't get anywhere near filling the other 3 stands as it is so no point.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 11:09:09 »

It offers a better view than the town end and even though the toilets etc are ancient and dilapidated the TE ones aren't much better. Would be nice to see a new stand but can't see that happening.
We don't get anywhere near filling the other 3 stands as it is so no point.
From my point of view, the point is showing the fans and the wider community that there is a plan in place and an ambition for the future that all could work towards. The plans drawn up some years ago for the ground redevelopment could be a starting point. Open up this ambition to the supporters, the council, potential new owners and make a go of it. It may be overly ambitious but at least it is an ideal to target. Add a desire to include a section of 'safe standing' into the mix and the appeal could be even greater, adding momentum to the whole aim of Trust ownership and redevelopment.

I don't get the 'we don't get anywhere near filling the other 3 stands' argument. If that's the attitude, why bother having three stands open when two would be enough?

I may be delusional, but Swindon as a town does have some pockets of really good stuff. I'd much rather see some big thinking and ambition rather than reverting to the 'oh but we can't compete with Bristol, Reading etc etc...' malaise. 
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 13:18:57 »

I may be delusional, but Swindon as a town does have some pockets of really good stuff. I'd much rather see some big thinking and ambition rather than reverting to the 'oh but we can't compete with Bristol, Reading etc etc...' malaise. 
You are absolutely right: lack of ambition = self-fulfilling prophecy
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 17:24:11 »

I disagree. Should The Trust be successful in buying the ground I think a better option would be to try and apply for a FL grant to help fund a new purpose built stand. Stratton Bank is woefully outdated and sticking a roof on it is like sugar coating a turd. Some exterior modern cladding and some cosmetic work to the appallingly rusty grey Arkells Stand would improve the stadium no end. Whilst at it make the lower tier of the Arkells stand run the full length as this has bugged me for years. I'm sure The Town End has a few more years in her yet.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 06:40:10 »

the red army site is clearer now, I'll sort out my payments this week

http://www.redarmyfund.co.uk
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #178 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 09:09:04 »

the red army site is clearer now, I'll sort out my payments this week

http://www.redarmyfund.co.uk

That is much better. Thanks for letting us know, I've signed up a bronze account.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 09:49:09 »

Yep

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: