Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sheffield United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36507 times)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:33:55 »

We've got to stop this Landolo stuff, it's becoming the new Paolo.

(And I've got to stop reading Ellis as Ells, although it's mostly complimentary, cheers)

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Flashheart

« Reply #151 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:34:23 »

According to Dave (bad idioms) Hockaday today he wasn't even making an effort to track back. He's normally quite positive is Dave, but he sounded livid today.

I'm confident we won't be seeing much of Rogers once the January transfer dealings are done.

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:35:35 »

Admittedly he has had some terrible games, but I think Rodgers has become a bit of a scapegoat for some. He's had more than enough games where he's been the worst player on the pitch, but he's also had games where he wasn't, and others just don't get picked out as much as he does. If you expect a player to do badly you'll noticed every misplaced pass a lot more, even though it happens all the time. I guess that's a marker of how bad we are right now, we're disagreeing over who is the worst!

He works bloody hard, I think that's why I'm inclined to stick up for him. I don't think you can say that for every squad member who's had a bad game.

Where's the conspiracy? Expecting an influx of Celtic players or just with the Liverpool ones previously?

Every game that I have seen play I would say him not working hard is the biggest critisism. You can take a misplace pass once in a while if they bust a gut to get it back and press the opposition. To me he just trots around
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:35:42 »

Quote from: Ells
We've got to stop this Landolo stuff, it's becoming the new Paolo.

(And I've got to stop reading Ellis as Ells)

I can never remember his name spelling, so he's Ellis Smiley
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #154 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:36:58 »

Rodgers is in on merit and that is exactly why we are in the shit. He's no more shit than some others. His work rate albeit shit is no worse than some others. His tacking is non existent just like a lot of others. His positional play is fucking woeful just like a lot of the others. He has the occasional decent 5 minutes just like a lot of the others.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:38:26 »

Rodgers is in on merit and that is exactly why we are in the shit. He's no more shit than some others. His work rate albeit shit is no worse than some others. His tacking is non existent just like a lot of others. His positional play is fucking woeful just like a lot of the others. He has the occasional decent 5 minutes just like a lot of the others.

Basically this yeah.
AND he can take a decent free kick.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:59:21 »

I've said it before but I'll say it again....the majority of our players when they leave will be lucky to pick up a Conference club.

The main disconnect between club and fans, seems to be the existential question of what the club is for. To a lot of fans the purpose should be about building a squad that can compete at the top end of the league, and give a good account of itself in cup competitions. This doesn't seem to be the view of owner and management....to them it's about hoping to stay in Div 3 and maybe finding an odd player to sell for a decent amount. From that point of view last season whilst viewed by fans as dire with historically poor home form, would be viewed as successful because some money was made on Ajose.

This season for the fans is again dire, and not looking too clever for the management, as there's not much to sell.  Maybe one of the 2 keepers or the kid Young might generate something.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 21:01:32 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #157 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 21:20:59 »

I'm surprised gates have been so high. Most home games have been boring turgid shite with players who either don't give a fuck or if they do can't do much with it.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 21:24:25 »

420 went up today which surprised me somewhat.
johnritsons toupe

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 21:30:33 »

I've said it before but I'll say it again....the majority of our players when they leave will be lucky to pick up a Conference club.

The main disconnect between club and fans, seems to be the existential question of what the club is for. To a lot of fans the purpose should be about building a squad that can compete at the top end of the league, and give a good account of itself in cup competitions. This doesn't seem to be the view of owner and management....to them it's about hoping to stay in Div 3 and maybe finding an odd player to sell for a decent amount. From that point of view last season whilst viewed by fans as dire with historically poor home form, would be viewed as successful because some money was made on Ajose.

This season for the fans is again dire, and not looking too clever for the management, as there's not much to sell.  Maybe one of the 2 keepers or the kid Young might generate something.

Great post Reginald.

Rogers: He has no heart or desire. Trading off the back of his old man as a player, he's only here because Power got Brendan as a contact with the chance of getting some decent players here. The fact that he's number 2 on the team sheet whenever golden balls Thompson is fit ( or #1 when he's not) just speaks volumes about the quality of our squad.

The fiasco with Sherwood managing by proxy is typical us under Power and is now contributing to our decline. It's all slimy cockney bullshit designed to deceive the fans. Most of the players are shit, but how the fuck can they work with a loser like Williams sitting on the bench watching games with his bottom lip gone, while his erstwhile #2 Embleton prances around dishing out orders whilst listening for commands from Tim, who's up in the stands, via a fucking Bluetooth connection?

Hockaday had it right today. Shame his new false teeth don't fit properly. He did a great Sshhean Connery!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 21:34:29 »

420 went up today which surprised me somewhat.

TBF, those that go these days don't go expecting to see a win. If it happens then it's a bonus, more of a day out thing. My niece goes with her son, his cousin and the cousin's grand dad. They don't expect much, but enjoy the social side.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 21:53:34 »

the issue isn't about quality of the players to me, it's the mental strength (Hockaday talked about it after the game).

When we score first we are full of confidence and put teams to the sword, when we go behind though the majority just stop trying and become sloppy and we just end up conceding 3 or 4 goals.

Some of the players don't put a proper shift in (Rodgers) and he would be one I would like see moved on has he hasn't improved one bit in his time here but the others, you can't teach confidence, you can't teach mental strength, you either have it or not and at the moment that is our problem, we have no real leaders in the team who can jump on the backs of the players when we are losing to make them keep going.

January needs to see us bring in 2 defenders and a midfielder at least, they need to be experienced and they need to know what it means to avoid relegation, we don't have any like that at the moment and I think the confidence issue is down to our defence, once a team scores 1, they believe they will score again and again.

Only 3 weeks till the window opens, we need to get in there early and fast with some reinforcements.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 22:01:24 »

the issue isn't about quality of the players to me, it's the mental strength (Hockaday talked about it after the game).

When we score first we are full of confidence and put teams to the sword, when we go behind though the majority just stop trying and become sloppy and we just end up conceding 3 or 4 goals.

Some of the players don't put a proper shift in (Rodgers) and he would be one I would like see moved on has he hasn't improved one bit in his time here but the others, you can't teach confidence, you can't teach mental strength, you either have it or not and at the moment that is our problem, we have no real leaders in the team who can jump on the backs of the players when we are losing to make them keep going.

January needs to see us bring in 2 defenders and a midfielder at least, they need to be experienced and they need to know what it means to avoid relegation, we don't have any like that at the moment and I think the confidence issue is down to our defence, once a team scores 1, they believe they will score again and again.

Only 3 weeks till the window opens, we need to get in there early and fast with some reinforcements.
No striker?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 22:10:24 »

you can't teach confidence, you can't teach mental strength
Yes you can:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2016/jul/01/sports-psychologist-jeremy-snape-rugby-cricket-football

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/boxing-carl-froch-turns-to-olympic-psychologist-for-george-groves-rematch-9194869.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/10/rio-olympics-2016-how-british-swimming-was-transformed-after-lon/

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/article/20150529-gb-cyclingteam-news-British-Cycling-appoints-lead-psychologist--for-the-Great-Britain-Cycling-Team-0
Flashheart

« Reply #164 on: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 22:14:13 »

Oh god, not the psycho-babble again!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: