Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Charlton Athletic Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25192 times)
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, November 12, 2016, 20:22:28 »

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Amazing how just a bit of tenacity and willing to put a strong tackle in or snatch a loose ball can lift the spirits of the rest of the team and crowd. Typified by Ottewill's transformation today from limp wristed waste of a shirt for a few recent games, to an absolute terrier in today's match. The right winger that came on for Charlton was about a foot taller than him, but he wasn't bullied or beaten once as far as I can remember. Superb display.

Great to see us actually running at the oppo a lot more and actually putting some shots in for a change. The first was very lucky, but if we'd been eternally twatting about with the ball on the edge of the box as per usual, we,d never have made that luck in the first place. Just frustrating that things like this have been so obvious to everyone for so long, except the training/management staff.

Doughty has such a massive influence on this team, if hes kept fit (along with Jones) I think we'll be alright. But it sounds like Power is coming round to the idea of some more experienced names anyway, which will come in useful to lean on in hard times or when key players aren't available.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 12, 2016, 20:24:15 by WEBBERhyde » Logged
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, November 12, 2016, 22:48:39 »

Wasn't sure if I was going to go today, with health problems, it being televised, and the fact I had to catch a train at 8 in the pissing morning. But I'm glad I did. Nothing to say that hasn't been said already - where the hell has that team been? No one worthy of criticism, not even the officials!

Charlton are a good bunch (excluding the bloke I saw get arrested for telling a met copper that he wasn't causing any trouble but was about to "smash [him] like a motherfucker"). That match day thread is good/sad, could so easily just cut and paste some of their comments on here over recent weeks.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, November 12, 2016, 23:56:09 »

Charlton are a good bunch (excluding the bloke I saw get arrested for telling a met copper that he wasn't causing any trouble but was about to "smash [him] like a motherfucker"). That match day thread is good/sad, could so easily just cut and paste some of their comments on here over recent weeks.

Probably repeat it for most clubs who are struggling, Blackpool, Leyton Orient etc........

It's like Sherwood put a stick of dynamite up our players rectums...... they wanted to get the ball, wanted to get it forward and wanted to get it in the box........ from that we made chances which we have struggled with in recent games....

I said all along there is nothing wrong with our team, just needed a shot of confidence as they can all perform at this leve and today showed it (against a poor Charlton team) we just need a defender, mid and striker with experience to give us that extra steel esp in the tougher games which will come.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 00:28:54 »

Probably repeat it for most clubs who are struggling, Blackpool, Leyton Orient etc........

It's like Sherwood put a stick of dynamite up our players rectums...... they wanted to get the ball, wanted to get it forward and wanted to get it in the box........ from that we made chances which we have struggled with in recent games....

I said all along there is nothing wrong with our team, just needed a shot of confidence as they can all perform at this leve and today showed it (against a poor Charlton team) we just need a defender, mid and striker with experience to give us that extra steel esp in the tougher games which will come.

We should put a 200k bid in for Ajose in Jan. It's plainly obvious he fits here and nowhere else. C'mon NJ you know it makes sense.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 00:39:17 »

We should put a 200k bid in for Ajose in Jan. It's plainly obvious he fits here and nowhere else. C'mon NJ you know it makes sense.

Who is that?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 01:09:56 »

Nick Jose obviously...
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 12:36:43 »

Rewatching the highlights and Goddard's goal was a delight. Each time I've seen him he's improved game on game.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 13:19:08 »

I don't think he would have fitted in our formation yesterday.

Really enjoyed the work rate with and without the ball yesterday. Reminded me of how a PDC team could make the opposition look second best pretty much all over the pitch.

Encouraging. And quite funny being above the Pox.
Mrs Brown

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 15:55:05 »

I've been saying for a couple of months that I think Ajose will be back at some stage.  He does seem to be at his best at Swindon Town.
FrigbyDaser

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 17:55:36 »

Rewatching the highlights and Goddard's goal was a delight. Each time I've seen him he's improved game on game.

Have seen far less of us of late than usual - but yesterday was great to watch. We passed to get out of trouble and create, not passing for passing a sake. We pressed high up the pitch - the done thing it seems at the moment - and it worked. Onwards and upwards.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #100 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 18:03:59 »

I only managed to catch the 2nd half in a Southampton pub with 200 people in it and only 1, me, watching the match!

I thought we looked a little shakey at the back at time but Chalrton were no threat at all, we had such a good solid midfield yesterday with all players working for each other and passing much more directly, which was lovely to watch.

Took our goals well without looking too troubled at the back.

Long may that continue.

All the midfield worked hard for the team, still not entierly convinced by Norris but he gets in good positions.

Goddard, Kasim, Thomas, Murry and Doughty all looked good and worked well together.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 18:16:08 »

Norris had a wonderful chance yesterday but he totally missed the ball, however, he nearly scored with a difficult chance that he crafted himself. I don't think he'll cut it and Delfonueso linked up far better with the attacking trio behind him.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #102 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 18:17:45 »

Norris had a wonderful chance yesterday but he totally missed the ball, however, he nearly scored with a difficult chance that he crafted himself. I don't think he'll cut it and Delfonueso linked up far better with the attacking trio behind him.
I agree, Delf looks a more polished player than Norris, but I hope both eventually come good although I don't think either is anywhere near as good a player as Obika.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 18:39:23 »

but fonz himself isn't a goalscorer either. Norris works hard. it's a tough call

obika will take ages to get back to consistency, if he's not sold due to his contract situation
Flashheart

« Reply #104 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 18:45:35 »

Can't see anybody buying Beeker now, he's broken.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: