Poll
Question: Should we sanction airstrikes in syria
Yes - 30 (32.3%)
No - 51 (54.8%)
Dont Know - 12 (12.9%)
Total Voters: 83

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bombing Syria  (Read 20321 times)
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 13:08:49 »

Sounds like it would be no more than a futile gesture.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/26/syria-airstrikes-cameron-case-highly-contentious
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 13:48:41 »

If we knew exactly where to bomb, it would already have happened.
The chances are we will bomb areas based on crap intelligence & kill more innocent people than IS fighters. That will probably create more IS sympathiesers than those we kill.

Troops on the ground is the only way to fight them, but will result in large numbers of casualties of ours so is not really what the politicians want

Agree 100% with your first point. Regarding troops on the ground; if we want to avoid yet more religious based extremism, these troops need to resourced from Muslim countries as well as The West. If we are ever going to defeat IS we need a global intervention and that include Pakistan and Iran.

It's All Good..............
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 15:33:02 »

Too Late to bomb them out there now. Should have happened 18 months ago.

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 15:38:21 »

Bombing won't solve anything.  Only an army on the ground can do that now.

Would I want any of my family in there?  No.  I'd imagine that dilemma is being played out up & down the country.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 16:09:40 »

Agree 100% with your first point. Regarding troops on the ground; if we want to avoid yet more religious based extremism, these troops need to resourced from Muslim countries as well as The West. If we are ever going to defeat IS we need a global intervention and that include Pakistan and Iran.
No, it's not just Muslim troops, but Sunni troops. One of the massive things the West has completely failed to notice, and one of the reasons why IS gained so much traction in the region in the first place, is that there is a Sunni-Shia sectarian civil war in the region, stoked by extremists on both sides. We imposed a corrupt Shia-led government in Iraq and it tried and failed to impose it's will backed by Shia miltias. Which went into Sunni areas and killed, burned and stole. Faced with a choice between brutal Shia militias and the brutal Sunni extremists of IS, many ordinary Sunnis reasoned that at least IS were on their side of the divide and so tolerated if not joined them. Because the experience of many ordinary Sunnis of having their home towns and villages "liberated" by Shia militias is that it leaves their homes in rubble and their families and friends in shrouds. While we in the West may see these small victories as setbacks for IS achieved by local militias and therefore encouraging as part of the way forward they serve merely to strengthen a divide that IS have already skilfully exploited. The Sunnis in the area must believe there is an alternative to IS that will keep them safe.

And of course, this all plays into a larger regional conflict where actually the Sunni-Shia conflict is largely stoked by Iran and Saudi Arabia fighting out a proxy war for dominance in the region. Which is why many of our so-called "allies" in the region, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar etc have done so much to fund, arm and encourage IS.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 17:58:45 »

We should not get involved. These kind of people will always find a reason to fight.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 18:54:33 »

Would I want any of my family in there?  No.  I'd imagine that dilemma is being played out up & down the country.
There's probably half a million illegal immigrants who arrived in Europe this summer, who appear to be men of fighting age.

They should be armed, trained and sent back to fight for their freedom.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 19:43:53 »

There's probably half a million illegal immigrants who arrived in Europe this summer, who appear to be men of fighting age.

They should be armed, trained and sent back to fight for their freedom.

I assume you're already on your way there?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 19:44:56 »

This is turning into a quagmire, a lot, lot worse than the former Yugoslavia. Feel sorry for the people caught in the crossfire.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 21:11:18 »

But that is what we train for it is what we join for. 
Boots on the ground and destroy them. The bombing will knock the fight out of a lot of them that are just on the edge of extremism. When the chips are down they will run and hide......... Again
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 21:17:14 »

No, it's not just Muslim troops, but Sunni troops. One of the massive things the West has completely failed to notice, and one of the reasons why IS gained so much traction in the region in the first place, is that there is a Sunni-Shia sectarian civil war in the region, stoked by extremists on both sides. We imposed a corrupt Shia-led government in Iraq and it tried and failed to impose it's will backed by Shia miltias. Which went into Sunni areas and killed, burned and stole. Faced with a choice between brutal Shia militias and the brutal Sunni extremists of IS, many ordinary Sunnis reasoned that at least IS were on their side of the divide and so tolerated if not joined them. Because the experience of many ordinary Sunnis of having their home towns and villages "liberated" by Shia militias is that it leaves their homes in rubble and their families and friends in shrouds. While we in the West may see these small victories as setbacks for IS achieved by local militias and therefore encouraging as part of the way forward they serve merely to strengthen a divide that IS have already skilfully exploited. The Sunnis in the area must believe there is an alternative to IS that will keep them safe.

And of course, this all plays into a larger regional conflict where actually the Sunni-Shia conflict is largely stoked by Iran and Saudi Arabia fighting out a proxy war for dominance in the region. Which is why many of our so-called "allies" in the region, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar etc have done so much to fund, arm and encourage IS.

So, are you saying we should just sit back and allow them to:
A continue to persecute innocent civilians.
B threaten the west and ensure we live in fear as to when and where they will strike again on our shores.

That is all the propaganda they need, it's deliberating over should we shouldn't we, while they continue to murder.
The longer it goes on the more refugees will want to move over here. Soon they will all be here and then what?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 23:43:38 »

B threaten the west and ensure we live in fear as to when and where they will strike again on our shores.

That is all the propaganda they need, it's deliberating over should we shouldn't we, while they continue to murder.
The longer it goes on the more refugees will want to move over here. Soon they will all be here and then what?

You've confused condemnation of bombings as condoning ISIS.. That's really not what it means.

We all accept that their actions are appalling and need to be stopped. It's just how we propose to achieve this that people are disagreeing over.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, November 29, 2015, 01:16:54 »

Won't do anything to eliminate a terrorist threat here. Imo just a matter of time before it happens again. More than likely from people already living here.
Too far down the line now. Shit is here for the foreseeable future regardless of any action taken by us in Syria.
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, November 29, 2015, 07:50:31 »

Interesting comments...

Experience has shown me that to find a cause of an issue... it' makes sense to find out where the money is coming from to finance the situation and eventually who is going to gain from it.

Perhaps we could / should consider an organisation such as ISIL would need truck loads of cash for day to day running of expenses.

A money source now reported coming from crude oil sold to Western countries including Turkey.

Turkey is a current member of NATO and a supporting member of the Western Alliance / NATO.

The West via America is also actively supplying arms to the "good" rebels who are currently gunning for the leader of the Sovereign state in Syria.

Only when Russia has with success to finally put her mark on the situation..

Suddenly others are taking serious notice especially in light of the horrid crimes we all witnessed in Paris...

France President, Hollande is wanting to forge a NATO alliance with Russia.

Surely we must consider the only Country that could / would finance and gain the most from the unstable situation in the Middle East is our friends in the good "auld" U.S of A.

That said, they have not suffered with suicide bombers or the disruption of the hundred of thousand of poor homeless refugees needing help and support.

God knows the issues the World will face after the election in the States next year..

Trump or Clinton as the most powerful person in the World.

Fuck a duck.... and we are worried about possible relegation  Doh !!!!

COYMR's

NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, November 29, 2015, 07:59:52 »

And for the record,

I am confident to recognise these are not Holly wars or necessarily a Civil wars 

Simply Big brother steering the natives into a dirty great big hole of destruction   !!! 

Angry 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: