Pages: 1 ... 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2007190 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #12315 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 11:24:43 »

Furthermore, I don't like the fact of an unelected leader as PM - I didn't like it with Gordon Brown either.

I'd like to see a snap election. But I fear that the opposition are just as poor as the present incumbents.

Yeah, could be wrong but can't think of many other countries where the resignation of the Premier wouldn't result in an election.

Brown, Major, May as well although her hand was forced into one in the end.

Reg used to argue that the electorate were voting a party and not an individual into power. True to an extent, but would JRM, as Tory leader for example, still have won a massive majority in the last election.

It is was it is and 160000 members of Das Partie get to decide who the next PM is.
Then again the whole FPTP system is not exactly a shining example of democracy in action.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12316 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 11:25:30 »

We don't elect a Prime Minister, it's not a Presidency.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #12317 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 11:35:07 »

True, but the nature of the individual up for the top job must make a difference in voters minds.

I suspect that The Cult of Boris helped to secure a much bigger majority than if any of the other wannabes were Tory leader.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12318 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 12:10:11 »

I did read a very interesting thing the other day which pointed out that the last PM to both become PM at an election by winning it and leave the post by losing an election was James Callaghan - so this stuff isn't unusual.

(For detail - Thatcher deposed mid-term, Major took power mid term, Blair resigned mid-term, Brown took power mid term, Cameron resigned mid-term, May both took power and resigned mid-term, as did Johnson)

Obviously it's not for me to tell Rishi Sunak what to do, but I think the best option for him right now is to withdraw - he's miles behind in the polls, tanking his reputation and he can look statesmanlike by saying the country needs a fully functioning government right now to deal with the energy crisis. It's going to be a singularly difficult time to become PM anyway, so probably helps him long term not to win!
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #12319 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 12:16:02 »

Don't pay your energy bill in October. If lots of us do it, it could be effective. They're aiming for 1 million:

https://dontpay.uk/

But that will just add cost to everyone - less providers and even more of a monopoly. They will also pretty quickly make it legal to cut people off and then we will really be in trouble...... (or those that don't pay will)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12320 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 12:51:14 »

But that will just add cost to everyone

How the did you work that out? All providers are charging the maximum amount allowed by Ofgem.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12321 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 13:00:45 »

Hang on - Context is key. Not sure what he said before or what he said after. But, you can pull a soundbite out of anything and make it sound worse than it is. I really detest fake news and slamming people for the wrong things.

My position is that out of the 2 Tory leadership contestants, I think that Sunak's outlook might be better than Truss's - But, I'm no expert. Furthermore, I don't like the fact of an unelected leader as PM - I didn't like it with Gordon Brown either.

I'd like to see a snap election. But I fear that the opposition are just as poor as the present incumbents.

Here’s the context

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-under-fire-for-claiming-he-worked-to-divert-money-from-deprived-urban-areas-when-chancellor-12666046
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #12322 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 13:39:46 »

True, but the nature of the individual up for the top job must make a difference in voters minds.

I suspect that The Cult of Boris helped to secure a much bigger majority than if any of the other wannabes were Tory leader.

That was the cult of Brexit, not Boris

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #12323 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 13:45:23 »

That's not context, its spin! The media are trying to slam BOTH candidates. We live in unfortunate times, where everyone's objective seems to be to criticise, blame and denigrate others!

When you prioritise things then you can do it in different ways. Lets take a simple scenario with three things that need funding - Project A, B & C

One way of funding is 100% to A and nothing to B and C

But surely B & C deserve something?

A second way is A 33.3% B 33.3% and C 33.3%

But surely A might need more than C?

A third way might be A 60% B 30% and C 10%

Those percentages might give what A, B and C each 'deserve'

So, do you see what I mean now by context?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #12324 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 14:04:56 »

That was the cult of Brexit, not Boris

Yeah, to an extent.
Not sure if the election result mirrored the referendum vote.
An element of just wanting it out of the way at play as well.

An irony of sorts was that in all likelihood Corbyn voted to leave as well.

A simple slogan will always do the trick.

Crap!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #12325 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 15:47:28 »

Yeah, to an extent.
Not sure if the election result mirrored the referendum vote.
An element of just wanting it out of the way at play as well.

An irony of sorts was that in all likelihood Corbyn voted to leave as well.

Better ring up Captain Hindsight and tell him that is how easy it is then and lovely Labour should be home and dry in two years time.

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #12326 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 19:55:54 »

But that will just add cost to everyone - less providers and even more of a monopoly. They will also pretty quickly make it legal to cut people off and then we will really be in trouble...... (or those that don't pay will)

How would it lead to less providers?

The key is getting a substantial number of homes not to pay.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12327 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 19:57:58 »

How would it lead to less providers?

The key is getting a substantial number of homes not to pay.

If homeowners don't pay more providers will go out of business leaving just a few to choose from.

So, give no fucks
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #12328 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 20:44:26 »

If homeowners don't pay more providers will go out of business leaving just a few to choose from.

I’m sure the billions of profits being hoarded at the moment will cushion the blow.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12329 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 20:50:59 »

I’m sure the billions of profits being hoarded at the moment will cushion the blow.

It will but shared with even fewer greedy bastards meaning they will get even richer.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: