Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Preston North End Official Matchday Thread  (Read 41378 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 08:27:06 »

Agree with the two previous posts...

Good to see Lee has joined the forum too...  Hi Lee (Kant) Cheesy

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 08:41:36 »

I've said for years now the biggest hindrance to the club is its own support. It was embarrasing last night. What more do the club have to do? The ones not going will be the first to whinge when players are sold because they can't be bothered to support their team. The flipside to this is at least the City game will bring a good crowd. We really should be pushing 12 or 13 thousand but given the completely unwarranted apathy Swindon fans seem to have to their own team it will probably be less.

Anyway on to the game. Preston came out all guns blazing, but after their 15 minute show we pretty much dominated the rest of the game. Turnbull was excellent, Gladwin embarrased their left back without being particularly great (bar his sublime skills), Toffolo very impressive & the midfield were as solid as always. We were extremely patient, as we had to be due to the way Preston lined themselves up, and we got our reward with a great goal from Williams (remember when we hated him?!).

That Garner is a diving little shit and their number 7 looked quite lively (despite his inability to cross hte ball). Having said that, the defence dealt very well with both. Very pleasing to see, bring on City!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 09:47:06 »

It was good so see Coops out on the pitch tonight and walking round with the players, giving the crowd a clap - he obviously does have some passion!!  Sadly, a lack of passion could easily equate to a few missing off of the gate - people don't need too many excuses to stop coming to the CG it would seem!!  However, I do think some people are missing the point regarding the attendances.  We keep being told the country is doing well and our problems are over, once you step outside of the M25 the reality is different, many people are still struggling, sadly with a mortgage, wife and kids to support footy may well be well down the list of priorities for a guy to spend his wages on.

See the other thread Ronnie, and I'm inside the M25, but completely agree with the rest.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 09:49:52 »

Fantastic win last night and best defensive performance I've seen this season against a very good side, who will no doubt finish in the top 6. Thought we edged them last night on chances created and Andy Williams took his goal very well. Some of the build up play this season, especially in the second half shooting towards the town end, has been brilliant.

I am frustrated like the rest of you with the crowd and wish we could pull 7500 more often. I think you'll see a big crowd for City at home as a couple of mates who've bought the 6/8 game deal will start with City and pick and choose the rest of the season, and a couple of others who are waiting for Xmas to purchase them. Hopefully we'll get some better gates, but with teams primarily coming from up't north the away followings won't be great, except from Slave Traders 1982 LTD. Fully appreciate it's difficult price wise if you have other priorities but people are missing out on what could be a excellent season for us!

Looking forward to Cheltenham away on Saturday, first time I'll have been and a day on the beers in the FA Cup.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 09:56:13 »

How far off the pre-fitton crowds are we?

We increased crowds through low prices, then investment and a mental manager. Now those days are gone and  things are normal, are crowds back to normal to match?

The thing is to those of us that go we see the great football despite being 'normal' again, we understand that as much as we'd love a rich investor that things appear to be running without the danger of implosion off the field.

People who came because of the cheap prices/buzz factor. They'd maybe see it too if they gave it a chance.

The n match ticket bundles have them that chance without paying the stupid match day prices. But they haven't come back.

Don't think there is much more to be done now. So come January...Sad
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 09:56:41 »

Third time I've travelled from London for a Tuesday night game and the third time I have had travel 'issues'. This time was my own fault as I got on the night bus at Vauxhall bus station going the wrong way!!

Such a retard! Got home at 1.20, pretty knackered at work today, the 3 points make it worth it though!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:08:06 »

link please

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/165704-swindon-v-preston/
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:17:27 »

Audrey's found a new friend  Smiley
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:23:52 »

First game I've seen this season last night, so I was very disappointed when they announced the team and Byrne wasn't playing. That being said, I thought we looked relatively solid, apart from the first 15 minutes when I thought we were going to get beat.

Stephens seemed to miss header after header - like he just misjudged them and they went over his head. Nathan Thompson is about a foot smaller than Stephens but consistently won the ball in the air against his man. Just goes to show that its about timing and not height.

Gladwin's end product (aside from the goal) was mostly poor. Either overhit or chipped into the keepers arms. But he's new to the position, and in general did ok.

Williams took his goal very well. Headers like that aren't exactly what he's known for. Also had a great run and shot moments after the goal. Obika was very quiet throughout. Smith held the ball up fantastically, and although he had two great chances that he didn't take, the only reason he didn't score them was the keeper making 2 great saves. He's certainly improved a great deal since I last saw him.

Midfield three looked solid as usual, some great breaking runs in the second half, specifically from Mass.

All in all I enjoyed the game against a good side. We deserved to win and I'm glad we did. Was really disappointed when I heard the size of the crowd, and I must admit, until we scored, the atmosphere in the DRS, and the whole ground in general (apart from the away support) was really quiet. Games under the lights used to get a decent atmosphere, but last night was really dead.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:27:37 »

I guess I'd be considered one of the 'lost' fans as last night was my first game since Brighton in the cup. Basically, It's down to time and money - my wife won't let me do my other interests AND football, so I had to choose. Now winter's almost here I should have time to attend more games.

I've asked others who no longer go and they site a lack of ambition and the cost of a match ticket as the reason they no longer go. So without going back into debt I doubt there's anything Power can do to get them back, other than the team stay in the top 2 all season.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:29:15 »

How far off the pre-fitton crowds are we?

We increased crowds through low prices, then investment and a mental manager. Now those days are gone and  things are normal, are crowds back to normal to match?

The thing is to those of us that go we see the great football despite being 'normal' again, we understand that as much as we'd love a rich investor that things appear to be running without the danger of implosion off the field.

People who came because of the cheap prices/buzz factor. They'd maybe see it too if they gave it a chance.

The n match ticket bundles have them that chance without paying the stupid match day prices. But they haven't come back.

Don't think there is much more to be done now. So come January...Sad

I think people are assessing the success of the 6 and 8 match packages far too early. People were never going to snap them up at the first opportunity then use them on the next 6 or 8 games. They'll wait until pay day, or until Christmas, then cherry pick the best 6 or 8 games over the rest of the season. For me, Rochdale and Colchester are not in that category, and Preston was a rearranged fixture on a Tuesday night.

Look at the Major's post above as an example, people waiting for the City game to use their first ticket, then picking and choosing after that. If I was able to get to 6 home games this season, that's exactly what I would have done.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:31:04 »

By way of comparison, here are the attendances from the 03/04 season when we reached the play-offs with the likes of Parkin, Mooney and Hewlett tearing the division apart.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=2003-2004

Average attendance of 7839, but plenty of gates below 7000, particularly early in the season.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:34:20 by reeves4england » Logged
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:38:29 »

I think people are assessing the success of the 6 and 8 match packages far too early. People were never going to snap them up at the first opportunity then use them on the next 6 or 8 games. They'll wait until pay day, or until Christmas, then cherry pick the best 6 or 8 games over the rest of the season. For me, Rochdale and Colchester are not in that category, and Preston was a rearranged fixture on a Tuesday night.

Look at the Major's post above as an example, people waiting for the City game to use their first ticket, then picking and choosing after that. If I was able to get to 6 home games this season, that's exactly what I would have done.

Im a big fan of the 6/8 match plan.  You are right though I cant get to games at the moment as Im busy, Ill go when I can which will be around christmas / new year.  They have my money for 1 adult and 1 child 8 match ticket though.  Where it gets included in the budget I dont know. 

Never knowingly overstated.
kerry red

« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 10:52:35 »

By way of comparison, here are the attendances from the 03/04 season when we reached the play-offs with the likes of Parkin, Mooney and Hewlett tearing the division apart.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=2003-2004

Average attendance of 7839, but plenty of gates below 7000, particularly early in the season.

Interesting
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 11:33:20 »

I'm one of the 'stay aways' I suppose, but unfortunately I cannot justify going to Swindon every week.

If they carry on with the 6-8 ticket option next season I'll be amongst the first to get one. I really hope they push those and the season tickets as well - with the stench of McCrory off the club and no high court madness, the uptake should be much better.

Part of the problem is the amount of people like me who have to travel a good distance for a 'home' game. I have no idea how much advertising they do around the town, but perhaps the club could be doing a little more to encourage more locals to not sit at home and watch Sky but to get out and support their home team on a Saturday or Tuesday.

The team Cooper and Power have built, and the football we're playing, deserves a better crowd.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: